thestevo 775Dual-VSTA v2.1 patch

thestevo

81 posts in this topic

There is another thing I wanted to ask you as I had hoped this particular issue would clear up after installing your latest patch and getting my UDMA enabled: for some reason when I burn DVD's, after about 7% or so, at the correct speed, my burner drops down to 1x speed for the remainder of the session. Got any idea on why that is or what to do about it? It's a Sony DRU-820A burner.Hope you got an idea.Thanx.There is another thing I wanted to ask you as I had hoped this particular issue would clear up after installing your latest patch and getting my UDMA enabled: for some reason when I burn DVD's, after about 7% or so, at the correct speed, my burner drops down to 1x speed for the remainder of the session. Got any idea on why that is or what to do about it? It's a Sony DRU-820A burner.Hope you got an idea.Thanx.

daherb - congratulations! I'm glad it worked for ya.

madjvi - I usually don't give out invitations just because you never know, and if the invited person has some troubles that could result in me loosing my account. Registrations are usually open one weekend a month, and there are other people on this forum that aren't quite so over protective like I am. I'm sure that one of us can hook you up.

olmirror - well that is an interesting one. That's an EIDE drive, so it shouldn't have any controller issues. I probably should ask some dumb questions to get them out of the way. Does it work in Windows? Have you moved it around - master/slave or different cable? Patch burn? BIOS version? Disc media is consistent? Possibly have you been able to try a different burner? Have you burned different data instead of just one project? And, by the way, ever get that graphics card thing figured out?

I think this is a great board and I'm happy to provide support for it. You'll see version 3 out somewhere around late October or early November :(

Thanx for the quick response:

Does it work in Windows? - yeah it does

Have you moved it around - master/slave or different cable? - it's master, cable is new, so shouldn't be a problem here.

Patch burn? BIOS version? Disc media is consistent? - strange thing is that it doesn't seem to be consistent as the speed doesn't seem to stabilize. Could it be that the IDE controller doesn't give a consistent data-rate?

Possibly have you been able to try a different burner? - don't have another one at hand

Have you burned different data instead of just one project? - I did and same problem

And, by the way, ever get that graphics card thing figured out? - no I didn't, tried sending messages to your suggestions, but alas, no response. Even tried posting my problem, but no any reacted. How did you get your card up and running and with which of the drivers, maybe there's something I'm missing.

Am I the only one only one with this burning issue?...

Well, I would like to see some way of isolating the burner from the machine. I think it would be very telling if you were able to put the burner on an USB to IDE adapter or put a different burner in the machine. That would tell you information about the ATA controller and the burner's compatibility with OS X. Unfortunately, as you said, at least one of those is not an option. Hmm... How do IDE hard drives perform in xbench?

For me, all I've ever used is Natit. Even when I had the AGP card I didn't use AGPgart. All I ever did was drop in Natit Dual v0.02, on both cards actually, and it worked fine. I wish that I had a special process for you that would make it work, but unfortunately it was extremely simple for me. Maybe somebody else with either your motherboard or my motherboard has more experience with an AGP card. Because my AGP card experience was only a month or two.

I've never had a burning issue. Its always worked perfect for my burner.

Stevo

Once you patch Uphuck v1.3 and install in the manor outlined in this tread, you will have fully working LAN, SATA, USB, and Audio when it boots.

Stevo

Hi

I have patched my disk with the 2.1 vsta patch but i still cant get it to install.

Before it was patched it would hang at the viaata....ect/ect..unknown...ect line and get the waiting for root device

Now with the patch it gets past that line but does the same thing on the next viaata.... line, hangs and is waiting for root device.

What am i doing wrong??

All that I can tell you is that you have not correctly patched your iso file. I have never had a problem with the installer booting, nor has anybody else to my knowledge. You need to check what your patching and double check your proceedure.

Stevo

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all (and esp thestevo),I understand the need to possibly maintain a degree of hush-hush covertness about all this but I don't get it... What does it mean .. you can get it at the "usual place"? Where is that?I understand if you may not be able to tell me exactly, but would really appreciate another.. hint!Thanks...Nikos

Hmmm.. That smiley of mine looks rather pissed off now that I look at it.. It was meant to look bewildered...

OK.

That was a good hint. Though it still took me quite a bit of googling to get to the bottom of it. It's almost insane how the site's name is not mentioned along its eponym. It finally clicked when I found someone complaining of the Green Demon being down, whilst providing "evidence" in the form of failed pings to said site's actual URL..

And just when I thought I was onto something, even located the torrent page, then I find out that I can't get it cause its too old. I found forums with people claiming they've been trying to get onto GD's registered user list for a year! agggghhh!

now what??

Any ideas welcome.

Registration for the Green Demon opens occassionally on weekends and is otherwise by invitation. Unfortunately, given the nature of the forum I do not give out invitations. I have considered using the Bay, but that does not encourage seeding to the extent that Green Demon does.

Stevo

Stevo, I have a question for you...

I am using your 2Core sata patch for my 4CoreDual, works great...

But my IDE drives are all running unbearably slow.

The board uses the pt880 like the 2Core board you have done all the work for but xbench speeds go down to around 10-12 mps on IDE.

Any ideas what may be the problem?

BTW, thanks for all the great work.

Ok, first a little clarification. There are a few differences between the 4CoreDual and the 775Dual-VSTA. The 775 uses the PT880 Pro/Ultra and the 4Core uses the PT880 Pro. Also for the south bridge (ATA controller) the 775 uses the 8237A and the 4Core uses the 8237S. So... I don't know if that will make a difference for you, I don't own that board, but just to be aware of it.

Secondly, I know that on the 775 the PATA drives are not all that fast. Thats not just a OS X thing, Anandtech didn't much care for PATA performance for Windows.

With all these things in mind, I have heard that UDMA doesn't get totally enabled on the 4Core even though it is recognized. You may need to go into Windows/Linux and get your Vendor and Device IDs to put them into AppleVIAATA.kext. The proceedures to do that are elseware on the forum. So, hopefully you find some reprieve for your problem in that.

Stevo

Oh, thestevo, come on.. That's just teasing.. I'm itching to try it..

I am not sure I understand your concern: even if not many people seed it on the Bay (I presume you mean the "public" PirateBay?), it will still be more people seeding it than there are now (which is zero as far as non-GD-members are concerned !)...

I presume the feature of this forum's nature that makes invitation impossible is its publicity. (?) I would be more than delighted if you (or anyone else reading this forum for that matter) wished to contact me in a non-public manner (email) and bestow an invitation ;-)

Nikos

The trackers to demonoid do not require registration, just the search engine and the code to allow the download of the .torrent file. Therefore, you should be able to use the attached torrent.

**EDIT** Sorry Admins, before you yell, I forgot that was a no-no. Duh!

Got the PPF... but it didn't work...

I patched the ISO. Boots off the DVD. I hit Enter to install MacOS.. starts loading up things, and after the 4th kext (extensions.kext) it all resets itself and reboots! Notably this is what the unpatched ISO also did.... I tried them both in a virtual machine (VirtualPC and VMWare) and same thing happens (machine crashes at that point)... I'm now wondering whether my original ISO is dodgy. It's about 4.6Gb big.. and when I press F8 during the DVD boot, it says: hd(111,1) uphuck 1.4.9 Int DVD 1.3 ....

Any ideas of where I can get the proper ISO.. or.. hmm. don't bother.. I know... the usual place, right? ;-)

BTW : I note uphuck 10.4.9 Intel x86 install dvd v1.4i r3 is out (not that I can download the link to it!) -- would that work with the 775Dual-VSTA ?

Thanks a lot

Nikos

I would check your ISO, that seems to be too consistent of a result across the board, for me anyway. r3 is *supposed* to work, but I've heard reports that it doesn't. So, see if it does and post the result. I got mine from the usual place :(

.... hit Enter to install MacOS.. starts loading up things, and after the 4th kext (extensions.kext) it all resets itself and reboots! Notably this is what the unpatched ISO also did.

I've got exactly the same problem with my AsRock 775Dual-VSTA and uphuck (1.3 & 1.4) (and JaS 10.4.8). :wacko:

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

since you don't have a patch for 1.4 yet, I decided to try it anyways.

uphuck 1.4i r3

my install options:

main, 10.4.4 login, remove cpupowermanagement, agpgart 2.2, usb, ps/2, intel speedstep, via rhine

this was my first install, so I don't know if those are the optimal selections

result:

network: works. shown as via rhine II. might be half-duplex, but it's ok

audio: does not work. I'm going to use the alc888audio.mpkg installer as per the wiki

sata: dunno. I'm using a PATA hdd, but my appleviaata.kext/info.plist has:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<string>0x528810B9 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x00

5510de 0x2360197b 0x2361197b 0x2363197b 0x2365197b 0x2366197b</string>

I can search through the entire thing if the ID is not there.

now I have to fix my slow(?) disk speeds

edit: oh, and here's my hardware specs:

e6300

asrock 775dual-vsta bios 2.90d

1gb ddr2 533mhz

matrox g400 (AGP)

maxtor 200gb PATA hdd

I don't intend to make a patch for 1.4 for a number of reasons. A, I don't like it as well. B, its still 10.4.9. C, it is supposed to have SATA support for the 8237A on the disc. You should be able to check the remove CPUPowerManagement, SATA support, and VIA rhine and thats as close as you'll come with that disc. You'll have to do the audio afterwords, but at least you have the internet to do it with. It might be that I won't have to make patches anymore for this board if 8237A and Rhine are packaged from now on. We'll see what happens when the first non-beta leopard disc for us is posted. Board works fine with 9a499, like a charm. I messed with the new one the other day and couldn't get it to go. Rebooted while loading the installer, so I'll look into that.

However, there is a new one on the green demon for 10.4.10 that looks really great. It has so many hardware support choices that it just might be my new friend if it is as good as it looks. Haven't had the time to try it yet. With all the machines I do OS X on, I can use the diversity.

Stevo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thestevo,

I have been using an 775-Dual-VSTA for a while now with MacOS (started with JaS 10.4.8, upgraded to 10.4.9 manually) and have been plagued by the computer often hanging and needing a restart. It normally happens with one application freezing up which cannot be force quit'ed or killed by any method, and then the other applications freeze, then the dock, then the whole system needs to be hard-reset. There doesn't seem to be any kernel panic/error messages, on the screen or in the system log. From my knowledge of operating systems I would say that the applications are making system calls that get "stuck" in the kernel and never return, which is why they cannot be killed by force quit/kill -9/anything, but this is only a guess.

I don't really know how to debug the kernel, and I just wondered if anyone else he

rd of or had the same problem. It happened on 10.4.8 with semthex's latest kernels and also on 10.4.9 with netkas's and ToH kernels. I am wondering whether to buy a new motherboard, just to get a more reliable system. Note that i can run Linux x86-64 and Windows XP on the same system with no problems/freezing/crashing.