Firefox 1.5 available

urig-herb

28 posts in this topic

How do you install?

I am using deadmoo image 10.4.1

Won't work. You need Mac OS X version 10.4.3 Build 8F1111. You can download the installation disk from a torrent site and then get the patches from Maxxuss' web site.

Won't work. You need Mac OS X version 10.4.3 Build 8F1111. You can download the installation disk from a torrent site and then get the patches from Maxxuss' web site.
Will run with 10.4.3 Build 1089 but a lot of site crashes Firefox, probably flash related.

My experience with this version was disappointing. It doesn't render some images, for example this forum. The port from this board works better. FYI, Flash still crashes FF. Even with Flashblock plugin enabled. The ports posted here don't.

If it's macromedia's fault, then why does it work on Safari? Is flash suppose to be optimized for Firefox and just say screw Safari? I think not. Didn't I just post that flashblock does not work on this new version of Firefox? You let us know if Flashblock works. We all know about that link you posted as it was posted here in mid November. Anyway, I have not yet sean the change log for the 2005.12.14 port. As far as we know, nothing has changed from 2005.11.09 port.

I'm not discrediting you at all. It's just that from my experience on this newest version of FF and flashblock, browsing the Macromedia flash test page crashes the browser. Maybe shockwave is the culprate, not flash, when testing the macromedia test page.

In reference with who's bug it is; then why does safari work with flash content sites? It was at one point before Tiger 10.4.3 1111 that it was considered a macromedia bug. But now that Safari cn run flash content without crashing, who's fault is it now?

well, i hate to interupt this little flame war... but the bug of the search bar disapearing has once again appeared after using this build for a couple of days... back to safari. *sigh*

huh? Flame war? Maybe you didn't really read the entire thread. These posts are based on experiencse. Not who is right or wrong. Anyway, yea. I don't use FF either. I'm on Shiira and it has works better for me.

I'm not flaming, i'm just saying if you would read then you would realize who's bug it was. Any way I compiled firefox 1.6a via CVS and the search bar works 100% of the time now but I am having flashblock issues now. I think it has to do with the lack of javascript support though since flashblock requires Javascript support.

EDIT: firefox 1.6a trunk builds require flashblock 1.3.3

Edited by johnniecarcinogen

i made a debug build so the entire bundle is like 400megs. just follow the directions @ the mozilla page after installing darwin ports not from the .dmg but from tar.bz2 compile/install bash style then

$ sudo port sync

$ sudo port install libidl

then make the .mozconfig, etc until you "make -f client.mk" then navigate to the .app after awhile.

EDIT: i know how to make a "deployment" build and all for distribution within xcode, but my complile is not xcode friendly. Where can I learn about this.

When I compiled Camino an Xcode file was in the build folder making it easy to make a small .app bundle.

read http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Confi...g_Build_Options on the .mozconfig/build options

Edited by johnniecarcinogen

Just a quick question - have you tried a recent nightly build of Camino? I have no problems with flash at all, and though it is PPC (I've not seen or been able to find a decent Universal build of it yet), it has fairly decent speed. Just a thought - I mean, rather than suffering through the constant crashes...

Any Mozilla PPC browser works. But what's the point in loading a browser that feels like browsing on a PII processor? I'm being a nitpick about page loads, but I feel that with a 3GHz chip and a 2mbps connection, page loads should be fluid. You can also feels the scroll difference unless you are on a lappy.