MY Pentium D 805 2.66 Experience * Good Info *

Guest pcharles25

78 posts in this topic

I have had a Pentium D 805 in a budget range PC I built a little over a year ago, I bought it because it was cheap and dual core, two of the limiting factors for my choice at the time.

Specs:

Pentium D 805

2GB DDR2 RAM @ 800 Mhz (Dual Channel mode)

250 GB 7200 RPM HD

etc.

I was rather surprised at how poorly it performed - it was in fact slower (in Windows) than the PC I had previous to it - a P4 2.2Ghz Dell Dimension 8200 /w 768MB RDRAM. Also, with mac I found that the motherboard - and everything else I had chosen to use - worked fine (this was all complete fluke - I did not build the PC for OSx86).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, compared to my Dell Inspiron 6400 /w Core 2 Duo T5600 (1.83Ghz), 2GB ram etc. (see complete laptop specs in my sig) the performance of the Pentium D was apauling, everything was slow, as was everything else, this was not due to incompatibility, conflicts etc. - and the PC had faster RAM, faster hard drives etc.

To sum up - a Pentium D 805 may be worthwhile if you are trying to build an extremely inexpensive PC and don't need good performance - as I suppose it has dual core, but virtually any Core (2) Duo machine, and you will see how slow the performance is.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that this CPU series is no longer in production, hence being out of stock at most online retailers - "production ceased March 9th, 2007" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_D

So...who won ? :D

Azurael did.

I really don't have time to reply to every completely ridiculous post in this thread, but I just had to make a response of some sort. I can't believe the claims you're trying to make. There is nothing wrong with your computer, but it is not faster than a Core 2 Duo. You say you don't care if all the benchmarks show the C2D is faster, and refuse to believe that Azurael was able to play 1080p on his, and expect anyone to believe the stuff you're saying? Do you even know how to use that fancy temperature sensor gun you have? You're pointing it at the fins of the heat sink, which will be much cooler than the CPU itself.

The Core 2 Duo is the first really good chip to come out of Intel in a long time. If the Pentium D really is faster, why are you the only person in the world to see it? Why did Intel even bother making the Core 2 Duo if their previous generation chip was "faster" and "cooler?" Why have AMD's sales been falling compared to Intel's despite the fact that they keep slashing their prices? It must be all the people rushing out to buy 2 year old Pentium Ds. I agree that the Pentium D is a good deal for a low end machine, but you're trying to claim it's something it isn't.

Just to add some fuel to the fire:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

Of course, with the heat put out by the fully overclocked Pentium D, you probably require the cooling system from a small nuclear reactor, but it is fast...

Patrick

Also not to mention that that article isn't taking the high end Core 2 Duo's into account (it appears it was written before that). It's only being compared to other PD's/P4's and a Pentium Extreme.

I was just comparing the similarities and the differences. I put the T7200 in my mac mini. I don't have any experience with the other ones... FSB and Cache seem to be the only real differences between the 3...

That chart says nothing about the internals of the chip. What really makes the Core 2 Duo so much faster is a few things that most charts don't list. The Pentium D has a 31 stage pipeline, while the Core 2 has a 14 stage. The Core 2 Duo can also perform 4 instructions per cycle, while the Pentium D can only do 2 instructions per cycle. That's why even at a lower clock speed, the Core 2 Duo is faster. The Core 2 also has less cache latency for both L1 and L2 cache, and a 128 bit SSE engine width vs 64 bits in the Pentium D.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, PCharles, you're saying that this board is perfectly compatible with osX but i have the same one but with a core 2 duo E4300.

I can't tell you if it's better than your CPU, and i don't care, my Hackintosh runs perfectly smooth, i even reduced the speed of all the fans and it makes less noise than my macbook event at max cpu usage :(

The only problem i have is sound... i only get stereo out event if it's alc883 with azalia patch... have you found a better solution?

Guest pcharles25

I won, * cost * vs Performance. 59 Dollars for a INTEL dual core CPU. And yes this is way faster the the mobile version of the core 2 that is in the mac mini and the imac.

What is faster then instant? HUH? tell me? What i have here is the Fastest mac at the lowest posable price.

Normal real world every day joe, Will Use what i have and say. * wow this is the fastest mac i have ever used * and that is 100% with out a doubt absolutely true.

If you are going to be a SNOB ass then just go and buy a mac pro. I mean lol... Shut the hell up... There is no way you can make 300 Dollars do better then this... My customers are very happy. Let me re iterate they are extremely happy that they know me and that i have saved them THOUSANDS.

Regardless, you can never argue with a spec beating nerd that lives in the basement of his mothers home.

If you want a screaming dual core mac that will knock your socks off and make any app(including pro app's) scream, all for under 300 dollars then this is by far the absolute best choice hands down.

Ok man i believe you, your Hack mac seems to run very quick especially for 300$!!! But can you tell me if you manage making your sound card working??? I have the same board as you have an i only get 2 channels out!

This was a very interesting thread to read. It was helpful. But, I still have some questions. I want to build a very small budget HacKintosh. So I am definately look at this motherboard, MSI 945GM3-F. But I would definately like to have firewire. Is there a version of this motherboard that has firewire, that works under OSX86? Just so we are clear, do all the components of this motherboard work well with OSx86, i.e. Sound, Lan, USB, Sata.

Can this motherboard work with current Core 2 Dou's, so I can upgrade it later.

Hopefully this will not cause argument, I really just need an upgradable system I can build for $300 or less.

Thanks for all the help.

Also, I have some limited bandwidth available to those needing a more permanent solution for image files. First come, First serve.

Hi csturner,

I use this board and everything is working at least if you don't mind having only two channels out for audio (stereo out) but maybe one day it'll work.

Except that you get this stereo out with AzaliaAudio.pkg from this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&hl=alc88x

, don't take the alc883 even if it's the right chipset, it won't work.

Lan will work with this linux port http://installers.dl.am/ an installer from NEO and that's all... don't just forget to install the GMA 950 drivers from the install dvd.

I've tried everything else on this board sataII ide, all ports even internal usb (8 usb ports/4 outside 4 inside). I now have updated to the last version 10.4.10 and everything works just fine event sleep function (which didn't work in 10.4.8).

For firewire, just buy a cheap pci firewire card (15$), i did it, it works flawlessly,

I've also added airport with a atheros base pci card (30$) and bought a cheap bluetooth usb dongle (10$) but maybe you won't need it...

By the way there are cheap core2duo's like E4300 which are very good ones (you can even overclock them since 1033 fsb is supported with this board but i didn't since i don't need so much performance...), this computer operates really faster than my macbook and is very very stable!

Guest pcharles25

Yes the sound works ( 2 channel sound out ) the ( AZ ) Patch. The Gigabit Ethernet also works flawlessly with the realtec x1000 patch.

other then that, everything just works as it should.

Its a great board.

I give up... This is clearly just flamebait.

You clearly don't know for a fact, because as you would have noticed from reading my previous posts if you'd extracted your head from your ass for one moment, I HAVE played back 1080p H.264, which is the most CPU intensive format to decode on BOTH chips. Both can do it fine, but the load is higher on the Pentium D by a substantial margin, and my Pentium D is faster than yours. You clearly can't read.

Fin.

Edit: By the way

11508.png

11507.png

Cool running? You pull that claim out of your ass too?

Azurael, you have some nice figures here.

Out of intrest can also show the same table in performance?

I would like to know how that P4 631 (800MHz FSB) stack up against that Pentium D 805 (533MHz FSB)?

Since according from your figures the old 631 consumes less power and it can be found even cheaper than that 805. Perhaps that would make even a more value hackintosh on a budget?

Thanks.

Dear Friends,

I dont think we should fight. We get what we pay for.

Last week i built my first hackintosh with q6600 and GA-P35-DS3P but now i want to have my second hackintosh ( for my reading room).

These are the components i bought

Pentium D for 56$ ( including shipping from ewiz.com)

Arctic silver 5 for 5$

MSI 945GM3-F LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - OEM from Newegg for 43$+7$ shipping = 50$

COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - Retail + COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail for 26.99+49.99 -17$combo discount -20$MIR + free shipping

so 40$ only

I already had arctic powersupply that i bought for 40$

DDR2 677mhz supertalent memory from ewiz 1gb x 2 for 70$

Seagate sata 500gb from Newegg for 110$

Total= 371$ and i dont think its a bad deal as i can always upgrade to C2D if i need to.

:censored2: