Quad-core Hackintosh for FCP 6

171 posts in this topic

Thanks! that one sure look like a great choice. Are the drives hot swappable, i mean can you turn them on an get them recognized or do you have to reboot after turning one off on?

Also, when did you get your bad axe board? It could be worth it to make an bios update before installing..

Damn i am SOO torn, cause some ppl get it to work, and i really want 6-8 drives.

Otherwise i can always get a sata controller, or get a nice asus P5k and have 6 drives working + two esta, which i know ppl got to work as well.

Sighh... hope you get it working.

I have two of these boards now. The first I got in May and it needed the latest bios upgrade. The last I got in June and it already had the latest upgrade. I got both from newegg. All drives work fine under windows. Both busses are bootable. It's just that I haven't been able to get my OSX86 to fully recognize the secondary Marvell controller. It sees it and the drive itself shows in Disk Utility, but no volume info and no mounting. I wouldn't let that discourage you from this board though...especially if you get the backplane. I do a lot of editing (I'm a videographer by trade) and I never really use the Marvell buss even under windows. It's just for long-term storage. Data drives are hot swappable but of course the system drive can't be.

Now I should tell you, I've never tried to set up OSX on the drives in IDE mode, only AHCI since that gives me access to the speed and features of my SATA II drives. That's how I have Windows setup. To go to IDE mode for OSX would involve a bios change every time I booted up and I don't want that inconvenience. Since my Mac Pro is native SATA, I fugure that is the most compatible and OSX installs very easily for me. Perhaps some others here have never used F6 to install the extra drivers in their windows setup and are only using IDE mode for their systems. Maybe that's how (if they got the Marvell controller to work) they did it.

All this being said, I've tried 2 different Asus P5 boards and didn't like them and 2 different Gigabyte boards and didn't like them (for various personal reasons). I've found the Intel 975 chipset to be the most compatible for running a quad chip and the BA2 to suit my needs perfectly. 965 chipset seems to be quite needy for OSX, although it does work. 945 is very compatible with OSX, but not with Quad Core chips. Ultimately, you have to figure out what you want to do with your system and go for it.

When experimenting with hackintoshes, I would advise that the latest greatest is not always the best. What has the most drives available is usually a better bet. Good luck.

Thanks for those wise words!Yes, you might be right, that the remaining drives only work in IDE mode, and i read that you can only set ALL 8 drives to either ide or ahci, and of course i like you, want to use the SATA II features.Sigh.. i intalled my windows in ide mode and NOT AHCI, so i learn stuff about my computer as well!I am perhaps not a professional (yet;) but i love editing and have used Premiere since its early editions with 4 gb harddrive hehe..I guess you want the NQC features?"NCQ doesn't work on IDE Operational Mode. This is confirmed by Intel."

Dear All

Any idea on fix a lost firewire B port, my mobo is gigabyte 845G pro which equiped with TI B chip, early this morning when I plug a 2.5 HD for back-up it just not mount, then I lost all the info in system profiler it just said Firewire Bus, without further info like speed, this port was work fine before...then I boot into XP and it said it was OK under hardware manager, but also cannot mount any firewire disk, then I plug those 2.5 disks to MBP and it was mount and work....then I clear the CMOS on my mobo also the mobo did not warn for broken devices...I need that back to normal soon (FCP edit)

Any command in terminal can check that, if it's(TI chip onboard)gone...sorry for the long post :)

Cheers/Blackfire920

Dear All

Any idea on fix a lost firewire B port, my mobo is gigabyte 845G pro which equiped with TI B chip, early this morning when I plug a 2.5 HD for back-up it just not mount, then I lost all the info in system profiler it just said Firewire Bus, without further info like speed, this port was work fine before...then I boot into XP and it said it was OK under hardware manager, but also cannot mount any firewire disk, then I plug those 2.5 disks to MBP and it was mount and work....then I clear the CMOS on my mobo also the mobo did not warn for broken devices...I need that back to normal soon (FCP edit)

Any command in terminal can check that, if it's(TI chip onboard)gone...sorry for the long post :)

Cheers/Blackfire920

Hi Blackfire, I don't know the answer to your question, but you might want to have it moved or re-enter as a New Topic under the hardware sub-forum. More than likely, those who know about this board are not going to look inside this thread. Good luck.

What do you guys think about this; triple display?

No no, don't get me wrong, I don't need the finder or itunes to spread over 3 monitors :censored2:

but what would be nice is if we can hook up a 3rd monitor and FCP could use it for Digital Cinema Desktop Preview..

Basically this isn't an issue if you are using DV but I use HDV and edit with ProRes so would be wonderful

if I could get external preview on a simple cheap computer monitor.. and still have dual display for editing simultaneously..

yes? yes? say yes!

Have you tried looking into a video card that has both dual dvi and a video out adapter that connects to a third device via a component cable. You would need a monitor that accepts component input, but there are many of them on the market now. I've not tried what you are describing, but my MSI 7600GS card is setup that way. I have a small 14" tv (w/component connection) in the room with my computer. And I know it at least accepts the video out from my card because I tested that. Never tried dual monitors plus that though. Could be a cheap way of accomplishing what you want.

Intel D975XBX2

Intel Q6600

Corsair Value 4GB DDR800

250GB OS

250GB x 2 Apple RAID0 for Video Editing.

I have the same basic configuration (2 Hitachi 500gig). I also got a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme. This thing kicks butt in Finalcut & Adobe After effects CS3. It is nice to have a system that will do 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 in After effects and FCP. Good times. I Haven't captured with it. I captued the footage on my G5 with a Kona 2, then copied it over through gigabit. I am going SDI out to a 1080p monitor. The HD output to the screen is amazing with after effects. Took me forever to find a AppleSMBios.kext that worked with both CS3 and FCP2.

The one I found works just fine, but says that the CPU is 4ghz, instead of 2.4. Who cares as long as it all works. I attached it so I can save Y'all some heartache. I am running 10.4.10, with the 10.4.10 Kernel.

AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

Allow me to be a bit stupid, but why is the appleSMBIOS for?

Furtermore, is the Deckling HD compatible on a Hackintosh or does it take some tweaking?

Finally, does it help a lot with realtime effects or can one manage with a decent graphics card?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems you got a sweet setup!!

you know what BJMoose, its funny because i have one of my setups running on the blue sata ports and the other computer on the black ones (marvell) and they both run just fine. i dont ever recall having to change any setting in bios to get em to work. in not near either of them otherwise id take a picture and show you. Im using JaS's version of 10.4.8 and updated to 10.4.10 and its all still working. :)

Feel free to elaborate a little bit :P

Whats the settings i bios say, IDE, AHCI? And can you see all the HD in MacOSX?? Can you actually plug in a HD in the Marvell connectors and actually get them to be read on the mac??

I and I think at least one more person :) would be greatful for your input! :)

Reghost, when you say you didn't make any changes in the bios, does that mean everything is in ide mode? That's the native mode from the factory. I never tried ide mode since my Windows setup was already in AHCI mode and since my Mac Pro is SATA mode, I figured that's the more ideal setup for the hackintosh too.

I'm not looking at my motherboard right now, but aren't the 4 black sata connections the ICH7 buss and the blue and red the Marvell buss? I'll have to open my case to see what's connected to what. I will appreciate any input you have on this. Thanks.

edit: OK, I just went in and tried every configuration in the bios, including changing all settings back to default. My results are the same. All ports work in all modes in windows, but I continue to get a message saying OSX doesn't recognize the drives connected to the Marvell (doesn't say Marvell) buss. The raw drive appears in disk utility, but volumes don't show and disks don't mount.

BTW, it's just symantics, but the black connectors are ICH7 connectors as I thought. That doesn't matter though as long as you get 8 to show up in OSX and I only get 4. Let me ask this: are you using the latest bios version? Something like 1.1.0.34??? Also, are you mounting these drives internally or in an external housing?

My next thing will be to use another disc and install JaS's version. Currently I'm running uphuck's. I've had JaS on this computer before and the results were the same, but now I'm intrigued and will try anything and everything.

Hirez, this is where those front loaded removable discs really come in handy.

Reghost, which 10.4.10 update did you use?

HI guys , have been following this threads progression,and wanted to ask a quick parallel.

I am to set up a hackintosh and will be my first..

I am leaning towards the one of these two configurations

#1 Tyan tempest I5000xt motherboard

2-xeon 5320 (after july 29th)

8 gigs ram

x1900xt

2-500 gig raid 0

1-wd raptor system drive

850 watt supply

2 dell 20 "

or 2  systems

#2  bad axe 2  mb

q6600 (overclocked)

4gigs ram

Nvidia 7300 vid

2- 200 gig raid 0 seagate barracuda

1- 200 gig system "    "

550 watt supply

2 dell 20"

I am working in primarily  HDV

a) Being I can network render the  2 systems  together ....would I see any appreciable difference in working with either system given the 4 gig 32 bit limit.

:( I believe one of you guys owns a "real mac Pro" ,does the q6600 system overclocked simulate a pro reasonably?

cheers

hehe yeah i am with you, I would love to know more, and that we all here can toghether come to some conclusion!

insanelyinsane: will the xeon go down in price on the 29th?

but how about drivers etc. for that system is the CPU even supported, and how about the MB??

I havent heard anyone building such an expensive system (even though i do admire it).

HZ

:D I believe one of you guys owns a "real mac Pro" ,does the q6600 system overclocked simulate a pro reasonably? cheers
I have a Mac Pro, but not the q6600 in my hack and I don't overclock. I've posted my xbench results for both systems in a couple of threads and my comments about each. Basically, the Mac Pro shows slightly higher overall marks from my QX6700, but in real life applications I can't tell the difference. I've not had any stability problems with the hack, but there's always that doubt in the back of my mind, so I am more confident on the Mac...but as I said, I really don't have logical reason to be. I like my hack more because of the flexibility of my hard drives. It fits my workflow better and I do use it heavily. Just a couple of little things to work out to make it perfect as I've discussed at length in this and other threads. The latest v2 edition of uphucks 1.4i is the best yet for my system. After the install, all I have to do is update to 10.4.10, and re-apply the Netkas appleSMBIOS.kext for CS3 purposes. Since I'm using the usb Creative Labs 24bit Live soundboard, I don't even worry about patching my sound for this system. Stereo sound (all I need because sound mixing is done entirely on another system) and mic work automatically on install. Of course, I still have to download all the various updates, add my personalized background and stuff like that.

Hey Hires,

The mac pro is based on a mother board nearly identical to this  it is only around $450 check threads on xeons ,almost everything will load native and very smo

th and stable in performance

mb ................................$456

mem...............................$536

raid 0 .............................$200

raptor 80gig......................$207

2 xeons ...........................$520 total

850w ps.......................... $192

xt1900xt 512.................... $371

case................................$120

cooling.............................$160

dvd ram............................$50

20" dell ultrasharps 349 ea   $700

total $ 3512

bear in mind this is an 8 core 8 gig  500 gig raid zero system with the fastest card that mac os presently supports I think it is cheap 

erely one credit card purchase away

I think it is remarkably cheap for what it will do.

The other systems would be cheaper and I can afford 2 easily the question is does the cheapy fell as fast on FCP so I can edit on one render on the other can put together 

WOW!Xeon E5335 2.0GHz 1333 Socket LGA771, is ONE mean cpu. Sure its 2 Ghz instead of 2,4 like the Q6600 BUT its freaking AWESOME to be able to get TWO of these 1333 fsb monsters for just slightly more..

What would be the best MB and MEM spec for this on?

I found the following:Corsair DDR2 PC5300 2048MB. I assume by reading, that it does NOT lower any speeds etc. by adding 2-4 etc. modules as this is the base of the Fully buffere memory :)

But which Mem would you advise, if there is any big difference in brands etc.?

july 29th price drop expected  xeon 5320... $256

xeon5335.... $316

xeon 5345....$455

xeon 5355....$744

xeon 5365....$1172

one of the best MB for these is arguably thr tyan I5000 xt workstation grade MB as I mentioned 

one can overclock on this board and it has almost every feature needed.

As this is a 64bit  system I dont think we will be into major improvements on this other than overclocking  and faster cores  until we break the 4gig barrier for the MAC os  When that happens all of the 16 gigs of the tyan will be used in a future 64bit version of  fcp...... Right now it is only 4 gigs we can use max..

Price drops reflect the 45nm penryn cores becoming  available later (and AMD expected release)this  yr but from my dicussions with developers  mac OS is NOT embracing 64bit  as of yet in leopard..

cheers

BJ moose;

Thank you for your reply, you basically answered what I thought .That the hack q6600 or 6700 is basically going to feel like a mac pro ,I like the nervous comment. I suppose when there is client files and money on the line it might be a bit of a faux pas if the whole thing goes clunk! let alone hrs and days of work.

regrds

insanely

Great! thanks for the info.

xeon5335 already round 300 dollars here in Norway!

This is fsb 1333 and 65nm. So this is a GREAT cpu,

a whole system with 4 gb ram (I thought you could put 8-16 gb ram as well??)

is about 2500 dollars.. so this is ok for the performance, but MAc pro are 3 ghz and not 2gh like the 5335.

The tyan is also what i read about, how about the intel boards, do they work??

I just ordered

Asuk P5K Premium / Wifi-AP

Intel Quad Core 2,4GHz (E6600)

4GB Kit (4x1gb) of Black Dragon (GEIL) Memory (for quad-channel)

the motherboard was almost the same price as the cpu lol :D