how to write osx86 drivers

8 posts in this topic

After reading this,

I don't know how to be any plainer, but there is never likely to be any support for your board. The two guys who came up with the driver (BikeDude880 and MeDevil) wrote it for CK804 nForce4 boards, mostly with the 939 socket. You do not have that board. You have an nForce 430, which has a MCP51 (Media Control Processor) chipset, and an AM2 socket.

1. There is no support in the current driver.

2. Support would entail writing a new driver or extending the current one. This requires people who know what they are doing (not me, and I presume not uphuck) with access to your hardware spending a lot of time reverse engineering timers and stuff which I have only the vaguest understanding of.

3. Number two is extremely unlikely to happen without either personal motiviation (ie they're writing the driver for themselves) or a massive financial incentive.

4. Uphuck has nothing to do with the driver effort (I presume). He packages drivers that already exist. If the drivers for the MCP51 don't exist (which they don't!) s/he can't package them.

5. The above means that no uphuck/Tubgirl/JaS/any other DVD will support your hardware unless a driver is written.

I don't mean to be rude, and I apologise if I do come across as impolite. The simple fact is that there is no way to run OS X on your system. To run OS X, you need to replace your motherboard with a supported chipset (namely the CK804 nForce4, or one of the supported Intels) or get an IDE ATA hard drive to install OS X on. Until then, you're just wasting everyone's time, including yours. The answers to the questions you repeatedly ask can be found in this forum. If you don't understand these or other things, you really need to do your own research and find out about this stuff by searching and reading.Yeah, your password is separate from your user folder. My suggestion would be to reinstall with the same username, which means you'll be able to access your folder regardless of your new password.

it made me wonder how to write an osx86 driver. Because it sucks that other ppl with the same processor and mobo brand as I do can install it but I cant because of the specific model/combo I have. So can someone show me how to write one please? Its driving me crazy knowing that the only thing stopping me from having a hackintosh is one driver. :censored2:

I'm not intending this as a flame, but if you have to ask as broad a question as "how do I do it", you probably aren't going to be able to do it.
But the only way a person will know how to do something is if they learn. I did a google search prior to posting this topic but I couldn't find anything.

If I were you, I'd look for open-source OS X drivers out there and study the code. Might be a place to start.
Thanks for the tip. I thought this driver stuff would all be just using a text editor and typing in the code but I guess not.

Quick question here: do you already know how to program in C or assembly? If not, you'll want to start there and work your way up. Get familiar with basic programming techniques (variables, loops, data structures, design templates, etc) and write some simple programs first. Once you have that under your belt you'll be much better off. I guess anyways. I know all of the above, program for a living (mostly in PHP these days though -_-), and have a BS in Computer Science, and you'd just as well ask me to perform brain surgery as to ask me to write a driver :P.