Poll: For us ATI x200 Mobility Users

TinFoil209

X200 Users:  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you need QE and CI for your x200?

• Yes!!! Nothing better than opening FrontRow to a full white screen!
    • No. Callisto b003 works enough for me.
  2. 2. Do you think we will see a QE/CI driver for x200 despite all the hand written code needed?

• Yes. There are too many of us. Have to be some devs and this card.
    • No. Too hard and other laptops can be purchased

11 posts in this topic

The fact is the memory architecture of the x200 is simply too unique for OS X to handle. Unless you find a top quality programmer willing to work for free it is simply more cost effective to purchase another laptop. This is especially the case since, and correct me if I am wrong here, but everyone has pretty much moved passed the x200. I do not believe they are still being manufactured. It has been well over a year and a half since myself and a few others started research into the x200. My understanding of the situation would be that parts of the kernel itself would have to be re-written in order for OS X to properly communicate with the memory bus of the x200 video chipset....Sorry folks, but unless you feel like throwing out a TON of cash, the kernel gurus out there have much more important things they are working on.

Yeah, people can beg and complain all they want, it's never going to happen. If it meant that much to me, I'd put it on a better laptop. Since I don't really care about QE, my V2000Z with an x200 works just fine.

Here is something to ponder. ATI is getting flack from the whole *nix community for not doing open source. Now ATI and AMD are merged, and AMD was and still is considered Intel's "Rebellious Punk Brother". Doing what it can to open instructions sets for Linux. If ATI/AMD go back and open source how their shared memory hands off to the OS. Will that help OSx86 developers make a x200. Bring new life for us x200 users?

If I remember correctly open source x200 drivers were released about 6 months ago. Does x200 Mac users no good though as the problem is not the video driver itself but rather how the OS as a whole addresses video RAM. The problem lies in the kernel not the kext.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hp a1130n with a x200 south bridge but I have a 7900gt for graphics and I cant even get to the install screen. Can others with the x200 get to the install screen at least? If so is it an easy fix? I've been looking around for a while for a fix

well - I have seen the development in the Linux world regarding this card.

Few month ago everybody said: give up on it, its never going to happen... take nVidia, ATI support for Linux sucks. Well they were right - partly. Support sucks. But:

Meanwhile I have Sabayon 3.4a 64bit with full 3D desktop (metisse) running on my HP nx6125 / Turion64. Out of the box. No tweaking, no installing, no fuss. Just booting up a live DVD.

Not fast, but it works. OpenGL as well.

I think the "market" is there - there were several lines of highly popular "business" notebooks like the HP nx6xxx with that chipset and graphics card, and several with 1150 which uses exactly the same architecture and runs with the same drivers (at least on Linux).

Those notebooks are the ideal cheap and reliable "working horse".

Of course this chipset is not for gaming etc. - but the acceleration is good enough for occasional work with 3D appz like Vue or Poser, and there is a lot of stuff out there that simply does not install/work without OpenGL or other 3D support present, even if it uses it little. Even VLC dies on my current setup...

So working 3D support (and dual screen output) is THE Go/No-Go for OSX on my laptop.

Actually I am rather new to OSx86, so I have no exact feeling how complex it would be.

But can't imagine that its impossible.

And I can imagine very well that a lot of folks would be willing to spit out 10 or 20 bucks, and if there are a few dozen of us it should be possible to find someone capable and willing to do it for a symbolic "bribe" of few hundred bucks...

I am in with 20 bucks. Anyone else?? ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
And I can imagine very well that a lot of folks would be willing to spit out 10 or 20 bucks, and if there are a few dozen of us it should be possible to find someone capable and willing to do it for a symbolic "bribe" of few hundred bucks...

I am in with 20 bucks. Anyone else?? ;-)

20 bucks here too.....

c'mon people....

• 2 weeks later...