VMWare: How to use your hackintosh real windows partition!

73 posts in this topic

my setup:

dual-boot winxp home & kalyway 10.5.2 (vanilla kernel).

both winxp & osx are in a single partitioned hdd.

boot partition: winxp w/ chain0 and modified boot.ini

--> boot --> winxp/osx

--> choose winxp --> boot winxp

--> choose osx --> darwin bootloader --> boot osx

i'm also having the BSOD that smuxbr has. anyone knows how to fix this? i can still natively boot to both osx and winxp. vmware fusion detects my "boot camp" partition. but when it boots up, when it reaches the screen w/ the logo of winxp and a progress bar beneath it, the progressbar doesn't move then after a few seconds, the BSOD shows up.

@snowbord:

how did you exactly do it? which files should i delete? do we have the same setup? win bootloader first w/ chain0 to load the darwin bootloader? what should i do next?

• 3 weeks later...

I have an HP Pavilion dv6200 notebook. I have Windows XP installed on it (1 HD with 2 partitions), and I want to install MAC OS 10.5.2 (kalyway) to give it a try.

I did, so now I've got partition 1 with Windows XP, and partition 2 with MAC OS Leopard (already updated to 10.5.4), with Darwin dual boot.

Now I am able to boot into MAC OS or WINDOWS when I start my notebook, and both OS work fine.

I want to be able to boot Windows partition from MAC OS (I guess using VMWARE FUSION). I've installed this software on MAC OS, but when I try to boot the Windows partition it just doesn't. I have the chain0 file on my C:\ (Windows partition) but nothing gets better.

I hope someone can guide me to make it work.

I don't want to install a new fresh copy of Windows XP as I already have all my working software and data on the primary partition, already there, and working fine, so I just don't want to mess with it. On the other hand, I want to be able to boot Windows XP from within MAC OS or as standalone. Is this possible?

thanks to all !!

• 2 weeks later...

well, I tried all of this.

Whenever I flagged the vista partition active and deleted the bootcamp and helper folders, it rebuilt the files and loaded up the vista partition instead of b0. The only problem is that every time I flag the vista partition, vista will say things have been corrupted and get stuck at the "error with winload.exe" screen inside of vmare AND if I reboot.

I rebooted and repaired the vista partition and flagged so I could get back into mac and now vmware can't boot the vista partition again. It seems like whenever the mbr is setup correctly to dual boot, it give's b0 in vista. But whenever I flag the vista partition and let vmware pick it up, it gets corrupted.

I also tried to do a vista boot repair by booting off teh cd WHILE IN VMWARE. This worked to get into vista, but as soon as I flagged back it went to b0 error again.

well... it works, although Windoze (both real one and "boot camp" in fusion) now wants to register since the "hardware" has change significantly :)

I think its still better to have minimal virtual windows with essential apps running in unity and then have another real windows as a dual boot...

but thanks for good tutorial :-)

• 3 weeks later...

AWESOME!!!!

Well I had the same error as some ppl. When Vmware would recognize real windows partition as boot camp partition, but would not load it, saying - No Bootable Device was detected.

So I

1. Deleted Vmware using AppZapper (otherwise it would keep the boot camp partition as it had)

2. Went through the steps of this guide. (Main thing is not to turn on vmware before flaging needed partition active)

3. And now all works perfectly with Vmware 2, and Windows XP SP 3 )))

Yeah!!!!

vmware is running good but i have a problem i have shared a drive which is fat32 between vista and leopard i have installed some programs for vista in this particular fat32 drive .. when i run vmware it does not show this particular drive and all my software which i installed which is mapped to this drive does not work it says invalid path .. so what i did was enabled shared folder on vmware and mapped it .. now when ever i run a program i have to manually find the .exe file in this mapped drive which is a real pain and annoying for instance if i ran my limewire i have to map my save folder all over again .. IS THERE ANY WAY OF MAKING MY DRIVE SHOW UP IN VMWARE WITHOUT HAVING TO ENABLE SHARE THE FOLDER OPTION AND MAPPING IT BUT MAKING IT VISIBLE DIRECTLY FROM VISTA ?????

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

THANK YOU

• 2 months later...
vmware is running good but i have a problem i have shared a drive which is fat32 between vista and leopard i have installed some programs for vista in this particular fat32 drive .. when i run vmware it does not show this particular drive and all my software which i installed which is mapped to this drive does not work it says invalid path .. so what i did was enabled shared folder on vmware and mapped it .. now when ever i run a program i have to manually find the .exe file in this mapped drive which is a real pain and annoying for instance if i ran my limewire i have to map my save folder all over again .. IS THERE ANY WAY OF MAKING MY DRIVE SHOW UP IN VMWARE WITHOUT HAVING TO ENABLE SHARE THE FOLDER OPTION AND MAPPING IT BUT MAKING IT VISIBLE DIRECTLY FROM VISTA ?????

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

THANK YOU

I'm looking for the same thing... I have an NTFS drive which has ALL of my documents, downloads, music and etc (so that if I reinstall XP or OS X I still have all of my stuff) and I would be very grateful if someone showed me how to do this.

I need the drive to be mounted as drive F: on the XP install because I have my My Documents folder Hard Linked to a directory on that drive...

Thanks,

~Unk

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after about 3,614 tries, Windows 7 booted right un in Vmware (v2.1.0) basically just started from scratch as I was having the same problems that other people were having saying it don't work. It does work...

**** #1 thing that help is I did the partition stuff BEFORE i even installed vmware and bam... popped right up first try ******

Maybe make a note in first post to RECCOMEND to do that first ...

Hi

I have a little problem: I'm tri-booting Windows & Ubuntu Linux on the same Hard drive, and OS X on another one. As some said, my Windows hard drive is already available as "boot camp partition" in fusion. The problem is that when I start it, GRUB launches and displays an "error 17" message.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a million for this post; I knew there had to be a simple way to get this done! However, I'm not quite out of the woods yet. I installed Windows/OS X/Linux, in that order. Linux installed grub, which apparently did something weird to the Darwin bootloader. Grub right now is set to boot:

Linux: hda0,2

Windows: hda0,0

OS X: hda0,1

When you select OS X from Grub's menu, it then boots into the Darwin bootloader, which in turn gives me the option of booting OS X or Windows.

The result of all of this is that when I follow the instructions you posted, I *do* get the option in Fusion to boot from Boot Camp Partition (yay!) but when I actually try to do so I get this:

----

GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...

Error 17

----

I take it that VMware is trying to boot grub, which sees the filesystem as some kind of weird VMware virtual thing and gets confused, and pukes with an error 17. My question, therefore: do you know how to fix this? I will happily lose the ability to boot into linux and reinstall the darwin bootloader on MBR if only I could figure out how...

Help is much appreciated.

I have the same problem with my notebook with triple Boot (XP sp3, Leo 10.5.5, Ubuntu 8.04).

----

GRUB Loading stage1.5

Error 17

----

Someone have a solution?

Thanks

BarmOSX

I have the same problem with my notebook with triple Boot (XP sp3, Leo 10.5.5, Ubuntu 8.04).

----

GRUB Loading stage1.5

Error 17

----

Someone have a solution?

Thanks

BarmOSX

Autoquote....nothing???

Hey everyone! Working close to perfect on mine, using VMware Fusion 2.0..

For me, i installed, selected New and made a Custom Installation of Win XP Home, it detected the partition on my HD auto and when i start the virtualization it starts up as if im starting my computer

(Chain0 method of Win XP and Mac OSX) - i select Win XP and it starts to load with the blue throbber etc eventually getting to loading settings etc

The problem i have is during activation.. i cannot move my Mouse or use my Keyboard at all, means i cannot proceed with activating my Win XP version (so can't boot and install VMware Tools...) so i'm a bit stuck.

Thanks for the info though on how to get my real partition working.. better then creating a whole image file!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
AWESOME!!!!

Well I had the same error as some ppl. When Vmware would recognize real windows partition as boot camp partition, but would not load it, saying - No Bootable Device was detected.

So I

1. Deleted Vmware using AppZapper (otherwise it would keep the boot camp partition as it had)

2. Went through the steps of this guide. (Main thing is not to turn on vmware before flaging needed partition active)

3. And now all works perfectly with Vmware 2, and Windows XP SP 3 )))

Yeah!!!!

THIS WORKED FOR ME AS WELL! TY SIR!

I'm looking for the same thing... I have an NTFS drive which has ALL of my documents, downloads, music and etc (so that if I reinstall XP or OS X I still have all of my stuff) and I would be very grateful if someone showed me how to do this.

I need the drive to be mounted as drive F: on the XP install because I have my My Documents folder Hard Linked to a directory on that drive...

Thanks,

~Unk

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you are right now - if you find an answer... please let me know via PM!

• 2 months later...
THIS WORKED FOR ME AS WELL! TY SIR!

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you are right now - if you find an answer... please let me know via PM!

I thought I'd help out. I found this answer a long time ago...maybe a year back in the vmware community forum. If you need to add additional physical partitions or disks to your Boot Camp virtual machine just follow the instructions in this post:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/872614

PM me if you have questions. Cheers.

• 5 months later...
I post here a really easy to follow guide that will make you eventually boot from your windows partition under vmware if:

you are using a dual boot XP/OS X normally booting with the darwin bootloader

you have them on the same HD

VMWare is not seeing the windows partition as a "BootCamp" partiton.

……

Thank you soooo much!!!

This saved my day!!!

Pcace

• 3 weeks later...

When I try this using VMWare Fusion 3.0.1, it detects my windows HDD partition as boot-camp (even though I used the method above). However, Windows starts to load but always gives me a blue screen of death (quickly so I can't even see what message it says) and then reboots.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and SL 10.6.2

Any thought's or suggestions? Did anybody get this combination to work?

Nevermind. I got it to work perfectly. So now can boot my Windows 7 x64 partition directly via VMware or go through Chameleon boot loader.

• 2 weeks later...
When I try this using VMWare Fusion 3.0.1, it detects my windows HDD partition as boot-camp (even though I used the method above). However, Windows starts to load but always gives me a blue screen of death (quickly so I can't even see what message it says) and then reboots.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and SL 10.6.2

Any thought's or suggestions? Did anybody get this combination to work?

Nevermind. I got it to work perfectly. So now can boot my Windows 7 x64 partition directly via VMware or go through Chameleon boot loader.

What did you have to do? I'm in the EXACT same situation!

Thanks in advance!

OK i have been searching i was unable to find more info on how to Install Snow Leopard in VMware Workstations 7 Windows Edition. i followed the instruction from the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/12/install...indows-edition/

but i keep getting an error when I start the snow leopard install:

“Invalid front-side bus frequency 6600000 Hz”

VMWare then says the CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system and I need to power off.

My PC specs are:

Dell Studio XPS 17, 6GB RAM, Intel 2.9 GHz Duo, Host OS Win7 Ultimate (64-bit), The virtualization option in BIOS is enabled.

Dose anyone know what this error means i Googled it but i got nothing and I've noticed that there are other with the same issue. can someone please help me out.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Does anyone know how to run your Hackintosh installation, from your windows installation, using VMware?

I have them set as dual boot and everything works, but it'd be really handy if I could run the same OS86x install, from Windows.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Andre

• 9 months later...
Hi, I try that to use my previously xp installation on fusion but it doesn't work

When I do "write" after flag the windows partition it says me :

fdisk:*1> write

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

I just installed vmware fusion3 then selected bootcam option for running windows in setting window i chose windows xp as option and it just worked...

same virtual machine i used using parellal it worked there too

i even able to run xp64 inside vmware fusin just i need to use option windows 64 in setting and while booting i need to choos xp 64 partition

But when i try to booy the xp64 partition using parellal desktop 6 it gives me error ntldr missing

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Does anyone know how to run your Hackintosh installation, from your windows installation, using VMware?

I have them set as dual boot and everything works, but it'd be really handy if I could run the same OS86x install, from Windows.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Andre

just open vmware fusion 3 or parellal desktop choose new from file then in setting select bootcamp partition thats all