VMWare: How to use your hackintosh real windows partition!

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Please can somebody help me successfully run XP under VMWare Fusion. Like I said above I have made a dual boot VM & installed VMWare Fusion, but every time I try to run the Boot Camp partition it comes up with the same error.

I hope somebody here has managed to get past this and can advise.

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005

THEHAWKs

THEHAWKs

The UnKnown Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I Downloaded The New VmWare Fusion Beta 2 and it Run's my Real WIndowsXP HDD with out any modifications.

Posted Image

GuySmileZ

GuySmileZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
i have xp already installed and is dual booting using darwin. when i try to get vmware to see it it says its not there but it will boot from a xp disc? any thoughts?

Posted Image

estebanrao

estebanrao

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
works! ;)
thanks a lot man!

raggedjagged

raggedjagged

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Does this also work with Windows Vista??

Because I've tried this with Vista before, and it always sort of corrupted my Vista installation after a while. My Vista installation becomes "deactivated" and Vista doesn't startup. It will give me an error at startup saying that I have to activate Vista again and re-enter a new activation code... :wacko: Does this happen to others too?

teknet99

teknet99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

i have xp already installed and is dual booting using darwin. when i try to get vmware to see it it says its not there but it will boot from a xp disc? any thoughts?

Posted Image

I have the same issue. Were you able to resolve this? Anybody else has any idea?

Posted Image

thomaske

thomaske

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
yeah same problem :(

teknet99

teknet99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I solved my issue and is now running Windows apps in Unity mode!

It turned out that Fusion didn't like the Windows install that I used (synonym of 'small'). When I installed the XP Pro SP3 using another distribution, Fusion boots up using the Boot Camp partition with no issues at all.

Smuxbr

Smuxbr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
I have success with this howto, but when i initialize my windows xp, this screen shows in vmware fusion:
Attached File  Picture_2.png   37.54KB   78 downloads

anyone know How i do to solve this?

Thanks!!!

snowbord

snowbord

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Fusion (1.1.3) working on an MBR drive with a WinXP partition installed on the same drive and using a Darwin bootloader...

I did have to use my gray matter a bit as I did also get this problem;

Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

All I did was install chain0 on the XP partition, changed the active partition to XP and booted into OSX to get through steps 1 and 2.

Still having issues? DELETE THE BOOTCAMP CONFIG FILES in the Fusion settings folder, forcing Fusion to re-build them. I'm not sure if I needed to do a Fusion re-install.

Once you get Fusion up and running, change the active partition back to OSX and remove chain0 from the WinXP partition. All will be back to normal and you will have Fusion working!

It really is stunning running full screen and using Spaces to flick from OSX to XP.. or the unity mode.. using F9 F10 F11 on windows apps is hilarious.. :censored2:
And both are on the same HD, on separate partitions. Take your pick at boot, or run XP within OSX. awesome!

yuuzai

yuuzai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
my setup:
dual-boot winxp home & kalyway 10.5.2 (vanilla kernel).
both winxp & osx are in a single partitioned hdd.
boot partition: winxp w/ chain0 and modified boot.ini
--> boot --> winxp/osx
--> choose winxp --> boot winxp
--> choose osx --> darwin bootloader --> boot osx

i'm also having the BSOD that smuxbr has. anyone knows how to fix this? i can still natively boot to both osx and winxp. vmware fusion detects my "boot camp" partition. but when it boots up, when it reaches the screen w/ the logo of winxp and a progress bar beneath it, the progressbar doesn't move then after a few seconds, the BSOD shows up.

@snowbord:
how did you exactly do it? which files should i delete? do we have the same setup? win bootloader first w/ chain0 to load the darwin bootloader? what should i do next?

santiber

santiber

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an HP Pavilion dv6200 notebook. I have Windows XP installed on it (1 HD with 2 partitions), and I want to install MAC OS 10.5.2 (kalyway) to give it a try.

I did, so now I've got partition 1 with Windows XP, and partition 2 with MAC OS Leopard (already updated to 10.5.4), with Darwin dual boot.

Now I am able to boot into MAC OS or WINDOWS when I start my notebook, and both OS work fine.

I want to be able to boot Windows partition from MAC OS (I guess using VMWARE FUSION). I've installed this software on MAC OS, but when I try to boot the Windows partition it just doesn't. I have the chain0 file on my C:\ (Windows partition) but nothing gets better.

I hope someone can guide me to make it work.

I don't want to install a new fresh copy of Windows XP as I already have all my working software and data on the primary partition, already there, and working fine, so I just don't want to mess with it. On the other hand, I want to be able to boot Windows XP from within MAC OS or as standalone. Is this possible?

thanks to all !!

willpower101

willpower101

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
well, I tried all of this.

Whenever I flagged the vista partition active and deleted the bootcamp and helper folders, it rebuilt the files and loaded up the vista partition instead of b0. The only problem is that every time I flag the vista partition, vista will say things have been corrupted and get stuck at the "error with winload.exe" screen inside of vmare AND if I reboot.

I rebooted and repaired the vista partition and flagged so I could get back into mac and now vmware can't boot the vista partition again. It seems like whenever the mbr is setup correctly to dual boot, it give's b0 in vista. But whenever I flag the vista partition and let vmware pick it up, it gets corrupted.

I also tried to do a vista boot repair by booting off teh cd WHILE IN VMWARE. This worked to get into vista, but as soon as I flagged back it went to b0 error again.

Leoopardoo

Leoopardoo

..loves fresh fruits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
well... it works, although Windoze (both real one and "boot camp" in fusion) now wants to register since the "hardware" has change significantly :)

I think its still better to have minimal virtual windows with essential apps running in unity and then have another real windows as a dual boot...

but thanks for good tutorial :-)

Sema1

Sema1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
well, I can confirm this works. I have a fully working XP SP2 install on separate partition working on VMWare Fusion 1.1.

Jurek

Jurek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
AWESOME!!!!

Well I had the same error as some ppl. When Vmware would recognize real windows partition as boot camp partition, but would not load it, saying - No Bootable Device was detected.

So I
1. Deleted Vmware using AppZapper (otherwise it would keep the boot camp partition as it had)
2. Went through the steps of this guide. (Main thing is not to turn on vmware before flaging needed partition active)
3. And now all works perfectly with Vmware 2, and Windows XP SP 3 )))

Yeah!!!!

tdxgxcjg

tdxgxcjg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
vmware is running good but i have a problem i have shared a drive which is fat32 between vista and leopard i have installed some programs for vista in this particular fat32 drive .. when i run vmware it does not show this particular drive and all my software which i installed which is mapped to this drive does not work it says invalid path .. so what i did was enabled shared folder on vmware and mapped it .. now when ever i run a program i have to manually find the .exe file in this mapped drive which is a real pain and annoying for instance if i ran my limewire i have to map my save folder all over again .. IS THERE ANY WAY OF MAKING MY DRIVE SHOW UP IN VMWARE WITHOUT HAVING TO ENABLE SHARE THE FOLDER OPTION AND MAPPING IT BUT MAKING IT VISIBLE DIRECTLY FROM VISTA ?????

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED
THANK YOU

unkthemunk

unkthemunk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

vmware is running good but i have a problem i have shared a drive which is fat32 between vista and leopard i have installed some programs for vista in this particular fat32 drive .. when i run vmware it does not show this particular drive and all my software which i installed which is mapped to this drive does not work it says invalid path .. so what i did was enabled shared folder on vmware and mapped it .. now when ever i run a program i have to manually find the .exe file in this mapped drive which is a real pain and annoying for instance if i ran my limewire i have to map my save folder all over again .. IS THERE ANY WAY OF MAKING MY DRIVE SHOW UP IN VMWARE WITHOUT HAVING TO ENABLE SHARE THE FOLDER OPTION AND MAPPING IT BUT MAKING IT VISIBLE DIRECTLY FROM VISTA ?????

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED
THANK YOU

I'm looking for the same thing... I have an NTFS drive which has ALL of my documents, downloads, music and etc (so that if I reinstall XP or OS X I still have all of my stuff) and I would be very grateful if someone showed me how to do this.

I need the drive to be mounted as drive F: on the XP install because I have my My Documents folder Hard Linked to a directory on that drive...

Thanks,
~Unk

dslmel

dslmel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, after about 3,614 tries, Windows 7 booted right un in Vmware (v2.1.0) basically just started from scratch as I was having the same problems that other people were having saying it don't work. It does work...

**** #1 thing that help is I did the partition stuff BEFORE i even installed vmware and bam... popped right up first try ******

Maybe make a note in first post to RECCOMEND to do that first ...

johnlocke2342

johnlocke2342

4 8 15 16 23 42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
Hi
I have a little problem: I'm tri-booting Windows & Ubuntu Linux on the same Hard drive, and OS X on another one. As some said, my Windows hard drive is already available as "boot camp partition" in fusion. The problem is that when I start it, GRUB launches and displays an "error 17" message.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy