VMWare: How to use your hackintosh real windows partition!

73 posts in this topic

installed wmware on hd with winxp and leo

it detects boot camp but i got b0 error

so tried this method

closed vmware

but when i type in the terminal

print

-bash: print: command not found

why?

print is a command of fdisk, not bash. do the first part with the fdisk command, then when your prompt looks like

fdisk>

thats where you type print and the rest.

I post here a really easy to follow guide that will make you eventually boot from your windows partition under vmware if:

you are using a dual boot XP/OS X normally booting with the darwin bootloader

you have them on the same HD

VMWare is not seeing the windows partition as a "BootCamp" partiton.

1) Install VMWare.

2) Open terminal and type:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

where 0 is the number of your hd where you have the two systems.

type:

print

here you will have a list of your partitions. Please proceed ONLY if you see the HFS+ partition flagged with the * symbol.

type:

flag X

where X is the number of the windows partition you want to use with vmware.

type:

write

type "y" and enter.

Do not exit fdisk as you will need it just in a few minutes.

3) launch vmware and you'll be pleased to see that you now have a bootcamp boot option. Follow the program instructions.

4) When you have finished to install everything and play a bit with the new toy exit VMWare shutting the machine down.

5) Go to the open terminal window and type:

flag X

where X is the number of the partition the was flagged before you changed it (the HFS+ boot partition).

type:

write

y

exit

6) Open vmware and verify that the BootCamp boot option is still there (as it was for me).

7) Try to reboot mac os (it should be all ok!

DONE

i keep getting this error "NOT_REACHED bora/mks/main/mksQuartz.c:1216". i dont have 3D enabled in vmware. i have QE/CI supported....what gives???

Just a quick tip. I was able to get XP to boot in Fusion by flagging the XP partition and using the XP bootloader and tboot to boot into OS X. However, I still can't get XP to run. I get a BSOD when it tries to load the ACPI drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
I post here a really easy to follow guide that will make you eventually boot from your windows partition under vmware if:

you are using a dual boot XP/OS X normally booting with the darwin bootloader

you have them on the same HD

VMWare is not seeing the windows partition as a "BootCamp" partiton.

1) Install VMWare.

2) Open terminal and type:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

where 0 is the number of your hd where you have the two systems.

type:

print

here you will have a list of your partitions. Please proceed ONLY if you see the HFS+ partition flagged with the * symbol.

type:

flag X

where X is the number of the windows partition you want to use with vmware.

type:

write

type "y" and enter.

Do not exit fdisk as you will need it just in a few minutes.

3) launch vmware and you'll be pleased to see that you now have a bootcamp boot option. Follow the program instructions.

4) When you have finished to install everything and play a bit with the new toy exit VMWare shutting the machine down.

5) Go to the open terminal window and type:

flag X

where X is the number of the partition the was flagged before you changed it (the HFS+ boot partition).

type:

write

y

exit

6) Open vmware and verify that the BootCamp boot option is still there (as it was for me).

7) Try to reboot mac os (it should be all ok!

DONE

Thanks it's perfect form me; great work.

Only one little problem. when I star VM with bootcamp the follow message appears:

You are ing a 64-bit guest operating system, but the virtual

machine is configured to run a 32-bit operating system.

To ensure that a 64-bit guest operating system will function correctly

you must create a new virtual machine and be sure to select the 64-bit

version of the operating system.

After this message, I click "continue" and Virtual machine start and it's OK.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to set VM 64-bit (mine windows is really XP 64 pro)?

Thanks in advance

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

I found the solution in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74125

Edited by Astaga

Im also getting the b0 error, so I tried to create a new VM in Fusion on aother HD, but I keep getting a message says "Invalid Path" no matter I select the installation disk or installation disk image file at the final stage. Anyone know why? Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using Parallels & easily managed to run Vista from real partition.

I guess in order to run Windows from real partition in Hackintosh you should use Windows bootloader (WinXP or Vista) to boot you whole system. I mean OSX should be booted with Windows bootloader, which loads Darwin boot code. Look what cskena wrote.

BTW, Fusion fails to boot Vista for me.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have b0 error, try this way : boot Gparted with your Boot Camp Vitual Machine and then flag the Boot Camp partition with "boot".It works for me but i don't know it will work for you guys or not :thumbsup_anim: .

Sorry for my bad english.

If you are getting a b0 error, it usually means that Fusion found your 'boot camp' before you were able to set the Windows partition as active.

To get around this:

1. Make sure Fusion is not running.

2. Using Finder, go to /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion and trash all of the folders (you should see Boot Camp and Helper)

3. continue with step 2 sroddy's tutorial (post 1 in this thread)

Dude there are a lot of folders there. That cant be the answer. I have the B0 error with vmware 1.1 using vista as the guest. Anyone got an idea how to help with this?

THANKS

EDIT damn even after a reinstall it still does not work. Still getting b0 error. Ahhhh WHY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if somebody could help me.

I have dual booted XP & JaS Leopard through VMWare under Windows XP, I have booted in to Leopard and installed VMWare Fusion, but when I run the boot camp partition it comes up with an error message.

qrnix5.jpg

Please can somebody help me to get this to work.

I am testing All of this under VMWare under Windows before installing Leopard for real.

I hope somebody can help.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Please can somebody help me successfully run XP under VMWare Fusion. Like I said above I have made a dual boot VM & installed VMWare Fusion, but every time I try to run the Boot Camp partition it comes up with the same error.

I hope somebody here has managed to get past this and can advise.

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does this also work with Windows Vista??

Because I've tried this with Vista before, and it always sort of corrupted my Vista installation after a while. My Vista installation becomes "deactivated" and Vista doesn't startup. It will give me an error at startup saying that I have to activate Vista again and re-enter a new activation code... :wacko: Does this happen to others too?

i have xp already installed and is dual booting using darwin. when i try to get vmware to see it it says its not there but it will boot from a xp disc? any thoughts?

Picture1.png

I have the same issue. Were you able to resolve this? Anybody else has any idea?

Picture1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I solved my issue and is now running Windows apps in Unity mode!

It turned out that Fusion didn't like the Windows install that I used (synonym of 'small'). When I installed the XP Pro SP3 using another distribution, Fusion boots up using the Boot Camp partition with no issues at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Fusion (1.1.3) working on an MBR drive with a WinXP partition installed on the same drive and using a Darwin bootloader...

I did have to use my gray matter a bit as I did also get this problem;

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

All I did was install chain0 on the XP partition, changed the active partition to XP and booted into OSX to get through steps 1 and 2.

Still having issues? DELETE THE BOOTCAMP CONFIG FILES in the Fusion settings folder, forcing Fusion to re-build them. I'm not sure if I needed to do a Fusion re-install.

Once you get Fusion up and running, change the active partition back to OSX and remove chain0 from the WinXP partition. All will be back to normal and you will have Fusion working!

It really is stunning running full screen and using Spaces to flick from OSX to XP.. or the unity mode.. using F9 F10 F11 on windows apps is hilarious.. :censored2:

And both are on the same HD, on separate partitions. Take your pick at boot, or run XP within OSX. awesome!