Antrix (private WoW server) running in OS X :)

sarahbau

73 posts in this topic

ugh...A while ago I separated the character database and WoW database in order to allow for easier db upgrades (so I don't have to back up the user stuff every time). It seems when I did that, I forgot to change the character creation page. It was creating the accounts in the old database that wasn't being used for character information any more. 29 accounts have been created since I changed it :P

So, if you tried creating an account in the last month or so, and weren't able to use it, this is the reason. Sorry :P

Since I keep getting the same PMs over and over (several a day sometimes), and I often don't feel like responding to PMs, I'll answer some of the most common questions here:

* I will not release a binary: I'm sorry if you can't get it working, but even if I gave you a binary, you still would have to do some work to get it working.

* I will not hold your hand and walk you through setup. I'm not trying to be mean, but I really don't have the time to do that kind of thing (I work full time and I'm taking classes). Even with my instructions, there may be additional things you have to work around.

* If you have questions about how to download the SVN, check the ascentemu wiki, or ask on their forum.

* There are only two GMs on my server (well, two and a half), and I will not make someone a GM if I don't know them. And no, telling me about how responsible you are won't help. Even friends I've known for years and play on my server aren't necessarily GMs. Again, I'm not trying to be mean - I just don't want a lot of GMs on the server, especially since most commands like being able to increase your own speed would give you the ability to modify other characters' attributes, and I don't want that.

EDIT:

For all you noobs out there (like me) wondering how to get Ascent with svn you need to first get svn installed. (Just google it.) Then once you can enter svn and get the little message that goes "type svn help for help" or whatever, then all you do is type (without quotes)

"svn checkout svn://emupedia.com/svn/ascent/branches/"

It took about a minute for me.

Not meaning to double post:

WOOT I got the ascent thing done. I went on the to get MAMP and Navicat to work and all my databases in with maps. Last thing.....and it's a toughy(lol). On your first post Sara it shows you running a file. On the guide I sorta used(for Windows, of course) it says to run a .exe which looks just like a terminal command when running aka what your screens are. How did you get that going? I've been looking around but I can't find it anywhere. I think I've done everything BUT start that.

In the bin folder once it's compiled, you have logonserver and ascent. I used to run it with two terminal windows open (since it doesn't like to be a background process). In both windows, navigate to the bin directory. In one, type

./ascent

and in the other

./logonserver

In the same folder that bin is in (ascent, normally - not inside bin!), you need a folder named "etc" with the three .conf files set up the way you want. Also, inside the bin folder, you have your "maps" folder and "dbcs" folder (and optionally a "scripts" folder with GameMonkey scripts, but leave that out until you have the rest working).

Ah....{censored}. I think I may have messed something up. Herm....here are my steps:

I used your instructions to compile antrix.

I then set up Mamp and Navicat to work together. Then I extracted the database(i think) from TNPS into my database with Navicat.

I then edited all the files in ascent for my host info and login info and added a GM account into the accounts section of my database.

I downloaded then extracted maps into my ascent folder.

Now I'm at the step to do what you just said to do but I have no bin folder except under my main computer in the "usr" folder......what have I forgotten?

If you compiled ascent, you have a bin folder. Also, I have no idea what Mamp and Navicat are.

Edit: Are you sure you actually compiled ascent, or did you just check it out from the svn? That's just step 1.

Yeah I got it from Svn, then used your steps in post #46 to compile it. Am i missing something then?

BTW Navicat and MAMP are the server tools I'm using. I'll try starting over from beginning.

Once I get this going I will make a Mac Server Guide then hopefully a video. I think that will help a lot of people out.

Okay I rechecked it out and recompiled it. Forgive me for being such a noob, and if this falls under

I will not hold your hand and walk you through setup. I'm not trying to be mean, but I really don't have the time to do that kind of thing (I work full time and I'm taking classes). Even with my instructions, there may be additional things you have to work around.

then just tell me and I will give it up. Anyways when I recompiled I still didn't get a bin....maybe it's because when I try to do the "#!/bin/sh" it says there is not an event. Would I do this in a different part of the ascent?

ANother question lol: Since you said you used a macbook would it work if you somehow got yours on mine?

YET another update: I get an error message when i do automake:

configure.ac: installing `./missing'

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/automake line 8449.

: installing `./config.guess'

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/automake line 8449.

The "code" block I did in this post needs to be in a shell script. Just for consistency, call it "reconf" and put it in the ascent folder. Then run it with "sh reconf". I'm still thinking you haven't actually compiled it because you can't do that without doing these steps first.

if you don't want to do it in a script, just type these commands, in order, in Terminal (better yet, copy/paste):

rm -f config.cache

aclocal

autoconf

autoheader

automake -a -c

But of course, before you do that, you have to remove the "Wl, -export-dynamic" line from src/ascent/Makefile.am

Once that's done, type ./configure in Terminal. If that goes through without errors (it will take a minute), type "make && make install" in Terminal, which will take a very long time to run if it can do it without errors. Until you've done all of that, you won't have a compiled ascent, and won't have your bin folder (which is where the compiled applications go).

OOOOKAY.....i had been doing this totaly wrong lol. One thing I had been doing was just removing the -export-dynamic line not the WI also. Okay I will try it with these steps. Thank you SO much for your help.

Hey sarahbau,

I just joined your private server the other day, ran nice on my hackintosh. How long you planning to keep the server up?

I was wondering what's the specs of the private wow server? same as your 'My Hackintosh' link?

I'll keep checking this thread to see if you post a binary install for the server.

Thanks

Hey sarahbau,

I just joined your private server the other day, ran nice on my hackintosh. How long you planning to keep the server up?

I was wondering what's the specs of the private wow server? same as your 'My Hackintosh' link?

I'll keep checking this thread to see if you post a binary install for the server.

Thanks

It's been up for 2.5 months so far, and I see no reason to take it down since it uses so little resources. Yes - t's running on the hackintosh in the link.

Do you think it would be possible to list the specific steps on how to bring this private server up? Also, on how to delete it?

I didn't think it would work, but I just managed to get Antrix compiled and running in Mac OS X. It's running 2.1.2-900 with apdb 1.6 (released today).

post-96958-1184838658_thumb.png

post-96958-1184838674_thumb.png

post-96958-1184838906_thumb.png

Do you think it would be possible to list the specific steps on how to bring this private server up? Also, on how to delete it?

Do you think it would be possible for you to read more than the first post in a 4 page thread?

Okay i think mySQL is hiding somewhere that nothing can find. I'm typing "fink install mySQL15-dev" in terminal but still whenever i try to do the ./configure step it won't find it, even after I've tried changing the configure.ac and then rerunning autoconf. Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

sarahbau: I just got a p35-ds3L motherboard and installed leopard so i had to re-install wow too, it updated me to 2.3.2 - and when i tried to log into your server it game me some error. Is the server still up and do i need to downgrade to 2.1.3?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

ok i have a mac os x 10.4 (mac mini) and the steps havent worked i downloaded every thing when i open up fink comander i get this:

The tool that FinkCommander uses to run commands as root does not have the necessary permissions.

By entering your password you will give the tool the authorization it needs to repair itself.

Under some circumstances you may need to enter your password twice.

/n/nERROR: Self-repair failed. Please be sure you are running FinkCommander from a directory and disk you are authorized to modify (e.g., not a disk image).

and it says i have mysql14-dev not mysql15-dev. can you make a step to step instruction guide with every little detail for me? im not good with this stuff but i want a server to play on with my friends.