Antrix (private WoW server) running in OS X :)

sarahbau

73 posts in this topic

I registered a account to test it out, but I was curious about a previous posters comment as well...

Is it possible to do a write up on how to set one of these servers up or is it too complex to just do a

how to?

Thanks for posting this, been looking for info similar to this for a while now!

I have a thread about it on the Emupedia forum. Antrix is now Ascent though, which can be found at http://www.ascentemu.com/forums/. It's not too hard with the current version of Ascent. Here is a quick walkthrough:

1. Install XCode

2. Install MySQL

3. Install Fink

4. Using FinkCommander, install mysql15-dev (this installs extra mysql includes and such that aren't installed with the normal MySQL installation

5. Get subversion client (svn)

6. Use svn to get the latest ascent (find out how on the Ascent forum)

7. Edit the reconf file in the ascent folder, and remove the if statements.

8. Edit Makefile.am in ascent/src/ascent and delete "-export-dynamic"

9. In terminal, type sudo -s, and enter your password

10. In the ascent folder, type sh reconf

11. Then type ./configure

12. Then type make

13. Then type make install

You now should have a compiled server. You still need to get maps, dbcs, and a database. I cannot provide these or information on how to get them, but if you search, you should be able to.

• 2 weeks later...

i am having trouble configuring ascent... it can't seem to find mysql

checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no

checking for mysql_init in -lmysql... no

configure: error: Missing mysql

as far as i can see it wants some files in /usr/local/include/mysql (which doesn't exist on my machine). I installed mysql 5.1.20, and mysql15-dev from Fink. they both installed fine, and mysql is running.

just wondering if you had another source for the libraries, of did you just use the install from mysql.com, and the fink package?

i have been looking around, and it seems quite a few people have this problem with the mac mysql install, but i haven't been able to find a solution that works for me.

ok, if you installed mysql from the package, some libraries don't go where ascent expects them to be... so, in the configure.ac file, change the lines:

INCLUDES="-I/usr/include/mysql -I/usr/local/include/mysql -I/usr/include/openssl -I/usr/local/include/openssl"
AC_SUBST(INCLUDES)
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/mysql -L/usr/local/lib/mysql"

to:

INCLUDES="-I/usr/local/mysql/include -I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql -I/usr/include/openssl -I/usr/local/include/openssl"
AC_SUBST(INCLUDES)
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql"

this is also how you would fix it if you installed mysql from the binary, in a custom location (then the paths would be different again....).

i had some problems making ascent (i had an old version at first... then the newest version wouldn't compile either). i found that 1053 seemed to work ok for a ppc (g5)

i ended up having to remove another -export-dynamic in ascent/src/ascent/Makefile (as well as the Makefile.ac)

just created an account....please add asap thanks

The newer versions of the logon server auto-reload the accounts table periodically, so I no longer need to do it manually. I'm currently building Ascent 1154 (current as of this post). Right now the server has been running 1023 since August 7th (and 10 days without a restart. It's very stable now). I'm hoping some of the stuff that hasn't been working right (scripts, mostly) works in 1154, but I don't have my fingers crossed.

I logged on a played for a couple minutes. Frame rate was awesome. A couple questions though..

Are you planning on releasing a binary of this once testing is complete? I'm ok at downloading and compiling in unix, but still fairly new to it. There's a lot of us wow players locally and we were toying around with an idea of having a LAN party for wow using a private server. So this would help.

I have about 3-4 spare macs I could run this on. Most are G4's...but I do have one intel 2.16 ghz mac I can use as well.

I like you OSX86 project as well.....a co worker of mine got 10.4 running on one of our work dell's nicely.

Thanks for the info!

I don't think I will release a binary of it because I don't want to have to support it. lol. The best place to go is www.ascentemu.com. You can also join their IRC channel where there are always people on. I'm not one of the developers of the project. All I did was compile it. lol :(

By the way, I haven't been able to build the last two versions I've tested. Well, actually the latest one built, but then I couldn't run it because of a dbc error. When I worked around that (not even fixing it...just a temporary bandaid), I had malloc errors.

Edit: Oh yeah. You can use my server if you want for your LAN party (assuming everyone has internet access at said party). You can create parties, guilds, etc. You can give your friends this link to get them set up - http://sarahbau.webhop.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4

• 4 weeks later...

Is this whole Mac OSX thing only with a Hackintosh?

Because I tried all the steps but when I got to the using svn to get ascent I couldn't use Microsoft Visual Studio.....tried rest of steps but never got terminal to work without doing the other stuff.

Is this whole Mac OSX thing only with a Hackintosh?

Because I tried all the steps but when I got to the using svn to get ascent I couldn't use Microsoft Visual Studio.....tried rest of steps but never got terminal to work without doing the other stuff.

It should work on any Intel Mac without changing the steps any. Some people have gotten it to work on PPC Macs even. What instructions are you reading? Mine make no mention of Visual Studio. That's Windows only. My instructions are here. You need XCode.

I'm talking about when you say use the instructions on the forums for how to get Ascent. The guides there use Visual Studio to complete it.

Also, when you say "Edit the reconf file" there isn't one. This may be my problem.

I'm talking about when you say use the instructions on the forums for how to get Ascent. The guides there use Visual Studio to complete it.

Also, when you say "Edit the reconf file" there isn't one. This may be my problem.

Get it, not compile it. If there is no reconf, try "autoconf"

Herm.....still trying to find that file. Funny, I redownloaded the ascent file and now it has a branches and trunk folder in it.

Still no autoconf......Configure.ac?

There won't be a file named "autoconf." Navigate to the folder, and type "autoconf". It's like make. It runs the configure.ac file found in the directory you run it from.

Okay I did that and I got a whole bunch of error messages and Terminal. Then I did just make and it asked for the file that i wanted to use or whatever. Anyways, I tried using the makefile.am and doing automake. Automake worked but with lots of errors. I've deleted all the If statements. Also when it say Make install is that saying do the make install file?

**Edit** Okay tried using autoreconf. Got only one error message:

configure.ac:81: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR

If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.

See the Autoconf documentation.

autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Not really sure what that means......

Well i kept on going using automake and got a lot more error messages but still worked somewhat. Then did autmake install and said i was missing other files.

Since a lot of people have been sending me PMs asking how to set it up, I decided to try to install it on my MacBook to see if there really was something wrong with my instructions. There are a few things that I forgot about.

1. They don't use reconf any more, and now require a newer version of autoconf than comes installed on many OS X systems (requires 2.61, and my 10.4.8 had 2.59). You can get 2.60-4 from Fink, and that worked for me. I was able to get past the first problems there. I'm not sure why they removed reconf, because all that does is make you have to enter the commands individually, or make your own reconf.

#!/bin/sh

rm -f config.cache
aclocal
autoconf
autoheader
automake -a -c
exit

2. For some stupid reason, even though the server doesn't use it, and neither does make as far as I can tell, configure requires you to have a command line svn client. So, if you've installed a client like SmartSVN, you also need to get the command line svn, or configure will complain.

3. For some reason, not only does mysql install in a place that configure doesn't look for it, it doesn't get added to the PATH environment variable. I didn't have too much time to work on this since I was at work when I was doing this, but you can get it working either by changing the configure script, or by creating symbolic links to the folders it's looking for.

After looking at that post, I see that the mysql includes and libs aren't the same as on my MacBook. This works for me:

INCLUDES="-I/usr/local/mysql/include -I/usr/local/mysql/include -I/usr/include/openssl -I/usr/local/include/openssl"

AC_SUBST(INCLUDES)

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/local/mysql/lib"