• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

fonkyfresh

fonkyfresh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Running OSX on a home made PC<br />Extensive OSX User and Technician
C'mon Apple paying the film industry to appear in movies??
It would take too much money away from Apple, and that would be ridiculous...
Their brand equity is too strong, they don't need that.
If Apple products appears in movies, it is just a choice from the person who is directing the film or choosing the accesories...

Where did you get this Amd Opteron thing about star wars III?

Edited by fonkyfresh, 18 December 2005 - 07:55 PM.

Guest: terry_*

Guest: terry_*
  • Guests

C'mon Apple paying the film industry to appear in movies??

Sure. This is called product placement.

Where did you get this Amd Opteron thing about star wars III?

Don't pay attention to this, it's an urban legend. Here's the real thing: Clandestine work on episode I actually began back in the steam ages, when the first frames were rendered on Charles Babbage's difference engine no. 2. The more complex sequences of episode I-III were completed about 130 years later on a farm of cheap Commodore C64s. Modern computers like the ones we're using today were only needed for the incredibly sophisticated ending credits, and this is also the real reason why they had to delay the release of the first three movies and started the saga with the somewhat less sophisticated episodes IV-VI.

Seeyou

Seeyou

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Sound
I'm a sound engineer for one of the largest post production and music production facilities in Athens/Greece. I can tell you why the music/sound/film industry prefers the mac over Windows.

Windows is a really great product when you are dealing with non-realtime applications. This includes Internet browsing, text applications (office etc), servers, mp3 encoding, DVD ripping, all sorts of conversions (wav> mp3, tiff>jpeg, avi>mpeg etc.), 3d rendering. Even CD/DVD burning is ok, because of the large RAM buffer used in the burning applications. And since WinXP came along, you can also run Photoshop reliably - it isn't an application that does realtime processing after all and therefore it is rock-solid.

When it comes to realtime prossecing, Windows just can't deliver. If you buy a new PC with a fresh copy of windows installed on it and you install realtime software like Pro Tools, Cubase, Avid or any other software that require resources in real time, you get unexplained error messages. "Buffer size to small" "could not complete the export in realtime" etc.

In most of the cases, artists are artists, they are no hardware heroes. Running complex realtime software on a PC, requires advanced technical skill and lots of time. Artists have less of both.

Metrogirl

Metrogirl

Resistance is futile...

• Retired
  • 1,177 posts

I'm a sound engineer for one of the largest post production and music production facilities in Athens/Greece. I can tell you why the music/sound/film industry prefers the mac over Windows... etc.

Well said! A genuinely informed opinion and very welcome. Thank you, Seeyou, and thanks for ending this thread, which had degenerated into YET ANOTHER Mac versus Windows debate. Enough said, closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy