How do Aqua Themes work?

23 posts in this topic

Yeah I forgot to mention it doesn't work under OSx86 yet.  Sorry about that

resexcellence.com has enough tweaks and mods for osx itll make your head spin. I believe there are a few different theme programs on there, haven't tested any. When I do I'll report back if any work (unless someone beats me to it).

• 2 weeks later...
not even manual replacement of system files changes things from what I can tell.

Strangely, manual replacement changes things, but only running in Rosetta. For instance, if you run the installer for the Iridium theme, it will replace files for the Carbon framework, for Finder, etc. The Iridium theme applies to all PPC apps as far as I can tell, and also to Finder & Safari if "Run using Rosetta" is checked. However, if you run those apps native, they still use metal. I'm a bit stumped about this.

BTW, if you're going to investigate this, if you run Finder in Rosetta you'll have to use a terminal window to kill it and start it back up native -- while running in Rosetta, you don't get the "Run using Rosetta" checkbox, so you can't clear it on Finder.app!

• 3 weeks later...

So, has anyone figured out how to skin the x86 apps? I believe they read the extras2.rsrc, however I've replaced thatwith a themed extras.rsrc, and the system messes up. I've even tried replacing just the graphics files within extras2.rsrc to no avail. There must be a way to hack this. I really want to run UNO. UNO is how OS X should be, Platinum with style.

Anyways if anyone has any further ideas, or has figured it out, please share :P

I made a request in the porting apps section since theme changer is an open source app

which can be compiled by everyone.

everyone who is interested in it can second my request:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...353entry20353

So, has anyone figured out how to skin the x86 apps? I believe they read the extras2.rsrc, however I've replaced thatwith a themed extras.rsrc, and the system messes up. I've even tried replacing just the graphics files within extras2.rsrc to no avail. There must be a way to hack this. I really want to run UNO. UNO is how OS X should be, Platinum with style.

Anyways if anyone has any further ideas, or has figured it out, please share :P

Try opening System Preferences under Rosetta (by right clicking and opening "Get Info"). See if it works after that.

UNO's a theme, not a preference pane, so this wont work. The only problem is that x86 apps will not skin by just changing the extras.rsrc. Thats why I believe extras2.rsrc has something to do with 'skinning' the x86/unibin apps.

I made a request in the porting apps section since theme changer is an open source app

which can be compiled by everyone.

everyone who is interested in it can second my request:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...353entry20353

It's already been compiled as a universal somewhere in on of the OSx86 forums, and it wont work, because it just swaps the extras.rsrc, which won't skin x86 unibins.

• 3 weeks later...

yep, without the extras2 file, it will not boot.

I also had the same effect: while replacing the files manually with a converted snowe theme, I noticed, that finder still stayed metal. Even the menubar was skinned, when being in an application. And the colors appeard. But that was it. The buttons did also not fit the metal-style.

Here is the guide I used. You can use the handy GUIKitty methode, to convert every Shapeshifter Theme to a macosx86 theme. But the problem is, that we first have to find out, what is up with the extra2 file.

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/res/custom_t...nstall.html#2-B

One note to the guide: dont download the whole darwin deverloper kit *lol. There is a link on the site, to the small script directory, that you will need.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually all of this can be done manually.

It works on PPC the same as on x86.

Well, maybe it's a little different.. but anyways.

The generic file for Aqua is under /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Resources/Extras*.rsrc

The file for Finder's GUI is under /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/Localized.rsrc

The iTunes GUI is in /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/Localized.rsrc

Finder's icons are located in .. 3 places I believe. The Dock package, The Finder package, and CoreTypes.bundle (maybe)

If you'd like to change your boot message for WaitingForLoginWindow you can edit a file, /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/SystemStarterUI.strings

And.. that's about it. ;)

Actually all of this can be done manually.

It works on PPC the same as on x86.

Well, maybe it's a little different.. but anyways.

The generic file for Aqua is under /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Resources/Extras*.rsrc

The file for Finder's GUI is under /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/Localized.rsrc

The iTunes GUI is in /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/Localized.rsrc

Finder's icons are located in .. 3 places I believe. The Dock package, The Finder package, and CoreTypes.bundle (maybe)

If you'd like to change your boot message for WaitingForLoginWindow you can edit a file, /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/SystemStarterUI.strings

And.. that's about it. :P

I tried, but fail.

:(

I tried, but fail.

;)

yeah, me too. i substituted the files with custom ones from an apple theme, but now i can't start any application. before, i tried the guiKit2DLTA method, that worked to some degree where all systemprograms had the usual aqua skin but all other applications are skinned correctly (opera browser e.g.). so i guess the problem is that the gui file used for the OSx86 itself are different from the PPC OSx. so thats why the system was very bugged when i replaced that file.

lets just wait for a OSx86 version of shapeshifter :-)

yeah, me too.worked to some degree where all systemprograms had the usual aqua skin but all other applications are skinned correctly (opera browser e.g.). lets just wait for a OSx86 version of shapeshifter :-)

I used themepark to replace every image I wanna use. Believe me, I never missed one image. And here's what I get now.

post-1292-1132578809_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1132578933_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1132579001_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1132579097_thumb.jpg

Same here! just wait for a OSx86 version of shapeshifter :-)

I used themepark to replace every image I wanna use. Believe me, I never missed one image. And here's what I get now.

post-1292-1132578809_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1132578933_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1132579001_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1132579097_thumb.jpg

Same here! just wait for a OSx86 version of shapeshifter :-)

All I want is to get rid of this god awful brushed metal. Anyone know where to replace that image?