[How-To] Get Atheros 5005G working after Airport Extreme Update 2007-002 and 003

Rmix

8 posts in this topic

[How-To] Get Atheros 5005G working after Airport Extreme Update 2007-002 and 003

I'll try to write this in the most simplest way I can so even Beginners understand.

First Download AirPort Extreme Update Via Software Update or Manually at

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...ate2007002.html and installed it.

7fc61782.jpg

Before we continue:

You Need your some ID's from your Card

For This I use Ubunutu Live CD for this:

In Ubuntu go to System-Preferences and Click Hardware Information.

39828d8d.png

In there look for AR5005G 802.11abg(or witch ever is your card) and Click it after that Click Advanced:

f5cf0555.png7

You'll need first: (Note is the ones in the (), also ignore the 0x )

pci.subsys_vendor_id: mine is 144f

pci.subsys_product_id: mine is 7094

pci.vendor_id: mine is 168c

pci.product_id: mine is 1a

Copy that somewhere you will find later on.

Now back to OSX:

Go to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext(Right click and Show Package Contents)/Contents/PlugIns

27a16f8c.jpg

In there your gonna delete AirPortAtheros.kext

Now open Terminal(Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

In terminal type:

sudo-s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirportAtheros5424.kext/Contents

nano Info.plist

351eba44.jpg

A file will open up now your gonna find:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci144f,7094</string>

<string>pci168c,1a</string>

</array>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

Now you will change like this: (Note add your own values where it says):

<string>pci(pci.subsys_vendor_id),(pci.subsys_product_id)</string>

<string>pcipci.vendor_id),(pci.product_id)</string>

It should look like this:

<string>pci144f,7094</string>

<string>pci168c,1a</string>

Now Crt+X or ^X and Y to save and enter

Back in Terminal type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

kextload AirPort5424.kext

A confirmation message should appear.

Restart

Now you AirPort must appear in System Profiler, and up on the Toolbar. But is not working.

be09cca2.jpg

Now back to terminal:

sudo -s

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

nano NetworkInterfaces.plist

e99df5f0.jpg

Now look for :

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string> - Change it to en1

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer> - Change it to 1

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

Now Crt+X or ^X and Y to save and enter

Restart

Open System Preferences - Network

It should appear found AirPort

Make sure you mark Show AirPort status in menu bar.

fd3af1b4.jpg

6aece6e4.jpg

And there you go working Wi-Fi in a Atheros 5005G card

As for the AirPort Extreme Update 2007 - 003 it is fine to installed it, It won't damage your AirPort986af1b4.jpg.

After:

22fa1be4.jpg

There we go you got your system updated, and fully working AirPort

-Rmix - osxx86.info

Thanks for the post. It works for me. And there is no need to do the last step in my case as my wireless card is already recognized as en1.

The problem is that it may conflict with the ACPICPUthrottle patch, I got a kernel panic after reboot. After remove the ACPICPUthrottle patch, the system reboot fine.

Repatched the ACPICPUthrottle without problem, it may not related to the wireless card.

• 2 months later...

first off thats for all the work. heres the problem that I have. I have the 5005G card and after the update I do what this says to do and after reboot system prfiler says that i have to airport hardware. my vendor id is 1468 and product id is 418 and the other vendor id is 168c ad product is is 1a. what am i doing wrong?

JR

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the tutorial.

I have an Atheros 5005G (as identified by DPCIManager) card that is identified in Ubuntu (and works in Ubuntu) as an AR2413.

pci.subsys_vendor_id : 4486 (0x1186)

pci.subsys_product_id : 14877 (0x3a1d)

pci.vendor_id : 5772 (0x168c)

pci.product_id : 26 (0x1a)

When I changed the string in the kext and loaded it, I got a popup message telling me that it had found a new airport interface. The MAC address on the setup was correct. I was able to switch the card on, but not connect.

So, I changed the NetworkInterfaces.plist file. Rebooted. Now when I load the kext, it freezes the system. Certain things peculiar to my system :

Its a Dell Optiplex 745 running 10.5.5. The Broadcom 5754 ethernet interface does not work, and I bought an USB wireless card from ebay that comes with Mac drivers and works fine. That card is identified as en0. So, this is not the usual setup.

When I load the kext, and just before it freezes, I notice that the blank airport notification in the menu bar fills up with gray (not black which would be the case when connected) waves.

Any ideas ?

I think it is an interface naming problem as the card was correctly identified the first time.

• 8 months later...

Hi, First of all, I am a complete novice when it comes to macs, so please forgive my ignorance.

I have been strugging to get my atheros wifi card working. I have edited the IO80211Family.kext with the vendor id and device id. But am still struggling to get my device to work. After many hours of googlling I have come to your post. When you say open teminal and type sudo-s. I get the reply -bash: sudo-s: command not found. What am I doing wrong? I have managed to get a stable running machine. However the wireless card is giving me head aches.

Also looking around my system I think that the NetworkInterfaces.plist is missing from the Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration directory.

Any insight will be greatley appreciated.