Problems with Windows(system time) after installing OSX

5 posts in this topic

Hi. I have installed OSX x86 on my PC . i have one harddrive with osx installed and one with windows xp installed. To switch between them i Press F11 in the bios (F11 allows me to choose what to boot, harddrive, cd/dvd, second harddive..)

AFter booting osx and rebooting into windows the system time is always wrong! It is set 2 hours back, which can be pretty annoying sometimes.. Anyone knows how too fix this? and why it is happening? I know it is because of OSX, cause when im only using windows and rebooting its correct. But after booting OSX and rebooting into windows its always wrong..

Cant understand why..

AFter booting osx and rebooting into windows the system time is always wrong! It is set 2 hours back, which can be pretty annoying sometimes.. Anyone knows how too fix this? and why it is happening? I know it is because of OSX, cause when im only using windows and rebooting its correct. But after booting OSX and rebooting into windows its always wrong..

Cant understand why..

Use Localtime instead of Universal for RTC

There are two alternative solutions, however this solution is the most reliable.

Use this little trick to change the clock between local & universal every boot. A couple lines need to be added to the initialization sequence, you'll need root privleges to do this. These files probably don't already exist on your system, so take that under advisement.

First you'll need to add a line to /etc/rc.local:

date `date -u +%m%d%H%M%Y`

Note the use of backticks to tell sh to pass the output from the enclosed command to the outer one.

And to /etc/rc.shutdown.local you'll need to add this:

date -u `date +%m%d%H%M%Y`

This changes it back again.

Be sure your clock is set correctly before your next reboot. Otherwise your clock will be messed up till you correct the time (either on macos or windows). This should keep your windows and macosx clocks in sync from now on.

Much Easier Alternative

Create a file in Notepad with the following contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

Save it as "Timefix.reg", then double-click on the file to merge it with the registry. Windows will now calculate hardware time based on GMT. Mac OS X does this by default, so your clocks will stay in synch.

NOTE: This solution is not exactly bulletproof. RealTimeIsUniversal is a leftover from the early days of Windows NT; it has never been updated to work correctly with modern versions of Windows. When running certain programs, resuming from sleep/hibernate, or waking up the monitor, the time may glitch back to its original value and stay there until you do an internet time sync. The OS X procedure has none of these bugs.

Not As Clean, But Does The Job Better (Than Registry Editor Version)

NOTE: You must have a live internet connection the moment you log in. Ethernet connections work as routers/modem are already connected. Wireless cards/usbs may work. USB modems which dial up once you log in generally don't as they take too long to connect. But a solution for that is available thanks to belgrano further down.

>Download timesync and unzip it. Put 'timesync.bat' wherever you like (let's say C:), then create a shortcut for it and place the shortcut (or even timesync.bat itself without making a shortcut) in

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you have more than 1 user on windows, place the shortcut in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

That is if you're running WinXP...

>If you want you can even make the bat file yourself.

Open notepad and type

w32tm /resync

exit

Then save it as timesync.bat and place in Startup folder

>If it's too quick and you don't have time to connect to the internet then use Delay Run.

If you use delayrun then timesync does not need to be in startup folder and actually being in startup folder would mean it will run twice.

Edit the delayrun.ini file to something like this

C:\XP-Mac Time Sync\timesync.bat

Where 30 seconds is how long it will take to run timesync (this should be the time you need to connect to the internet) and the second line is timesyncs directory. "XP-Mac Time Sync" is simply the folder I chose to name where I placed timesync.

More information on timesync is available time difference with dual boot and delayrun

Hope it helps.