how to overclock

The iMan

13 posts in this topic

I've got a Celeron D 331 on a Gigabyte GA-8I915G-MF MoBo, (its a Intel 915G chipset), I'm using 2 sticks of DDR400 512Mb RAM and 1 stick of DDR233 256Mb.

How would I go about overclocking this. I assume I would have to take out the DDR233 RAM as that would slow it all down and then think about getting a better CPU cooler, maybe an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro?

Then would the overclocking part be in the bios? What would I change etc?

Overclocking is a big no-no for most computer hardware and the small increase of speed is not worth shortening the life of your CPU, IMHO.

If you want more speed get better hardware.

hecker

yea thats the best way, and such a small cpu jump wont do much of anything, your better off with a ram upgrade or somesuch thing anyway. but performance for free is always appealing, but you cant do it on oem mobos, but uh, if you can small steps, dont mess up your stuff.

Overclocking is a big no-no for most computer hardware and the small increase of speed is not worth shortening the life of your CPU, IMHO.

If you want more speed get better hardware.

hecker

Most high end/mid range mobos today have overclock functions, and some support overclocking.

Here's the thing with OCing.

Yes, it shortens the life of your cpu. But, it only shortens it by a year, maybe 2, which by the time you get a new system, it wouldn't matter. You do need decent cooling, and other hardware that will help with the ocing, such as a stable mobo, and ram with good timings. And knowledge on how to do it. The reason people OC is because they don't want to spend more money on hardware. I need to get upgrades myself though so I can get better frames. But, here are a short list of current cpus that OC decently in a whitebox computer, with decent hardware.

Pentium 4 Cedar Mill core will go atleast 500mhz plus of it's original core.

Celeron D at most cases can go up to 4 ghz. On a single core cpu, that's pretty good.

Operton 165 cpus, damn. These can go from 1.8 ghz to 3.0 ghz.

Core 2 duo e4300, e6300, and the pentium dual cores. The other models that are near 2.4 ghz stock oc alright....But the e4300 and e6300 I've seen hit 3.6 ghz stable.

• 2 weeks later...
Most high end/mid range mobos today have overclock functions, and some support overclocking.

Here's the thing with OCing.

Yes, it shortens the life of your cpu. But, it only shortens it by a year, maybe 2, which by the time you get a new system, it wouldn't matter. You do need decent cooling, and other hardware that will help with the ocing, such as a stable mobo, and ram with good timings. And knowledge on how to do it. The reason people OC is because they don't want to spend more money on hardware. I need to get upgrades myself though so I can get better frames. But, here are a short list of current cpus that OC decently in a whitebox computer, with decent hardware.

Pentium 4 Cedar Mill core will go atleast 500mhz plus of it's original core.

Celeron D at most cases can go up to 4 ghz. On a single core cpu, that's pretty good.

Operton 165 cpus, damn. These can go from 1.8 ghz to 3.0 ghz.

Core 2 duo e4300, e6300, and the pentium dual cores. The other models that are near 2.4 ghz stock oc alright....But the e4300 and e6300 I've seen hit 3.6 ghz stable.

Pointer to any thread to realize those potential?