change graphics card in iMac

33 posts in this topic

is it possible to change the graphics card in an iMac? Because the cards that are shipped with the imacs are really {censored} (and i think the graphics card in the new imacs won't be a high-end one). I like to play games and i want a geforce 8800 in my imac, is that possible?

erm mate....

Although the graphics cards used on iMac are "somehow" considered "low", their performance is astonishing.

Its not only the card, its the whole system that supports it. And games are handled differently than pcs in iMacs.

You cannot change the GPU on the current iMacs. They are soldered onto the motherboard.

Wait a bit longer, Apple should come out with iMacs with 8600M GTs' in them. Those cards are excellent for gaming. Not in the range of the 8800, but still more than enough.

does the imacs have mobile cards? i thought that the graphics card is one of the only things that's 'desktop hardware'

Yes, the iMacs use mobile GPU's.

• 3 weeks later...
is it possible to change the graphics card in an iMac? Because the cards that are shipped with the imacs are really {censored} (and i think the graphics card in the new imacs won't be a high-end one). I like to play games and i want a geforce 8800 in my imac, is that possible?

It's NOT possible.

I am probably having a memory fart but I am sure I read that the graphics in the Core2 Duo iMacs is NOT soldered on the main board and is present as a small format card that CAN be removed. If so, it might be possible to move a newly announced ATi 2600 into the slot. Now I shall have to go check the service manual, etc.Yes, I thought so. In the 24-inch iMac at least, the ATi graphics card is a removable card with heat sink assembly (see pages 143 thru 147 of the service manual).

I did--I have the 8-core Mac Pro with 2.5 TB of HDD and 9 GB of RAM for high-end video work but I would also like to pump up the graphics in my 24-inch Core2 Duo iMac too (which already has 3 GB of RAM and 750 GB of HDD).

The Kodawari-San teardown of the new iMac shows the position and design of the 2600 ATi Pro to be broadly the same as ATi 1600 in the previous 24" machine with the same dual-pipe heat sink and same mounting screw postions so I guess a swap might work if the Mac 2600 ATi card could be got somehow!

Who will be brave enought to try.

And the processor/motherboard?

Processor could be upgraded because it uses a ZIF slot, but uses mobile Processors. Motherboard is Mac specific and can't be replaced.

Also, I understand that opening up the iMac G5 was standard but because of the difference in screws for the Intel iMacs, does opening up an Intel iMac VOID the warranty (such as Apple Care)? Granted that you don't screw up what's inside the computer.

well in about 5 years, i don't think i still have warranty :P

but that processor doesn't need an upgrade in five years! The only thing that's really important in a pc is the amount of ram and the graphics card. So i can replace both, so that's ok

• 1 year later...

I have the new iMac 24" 2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1TB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB and 4 gig of RAM. And... I hear that you can upgrade this 24" model due to it having a MXM Graphics module I would really like to upgrade my graphics card to the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB which the new 3.06 ghz iMacs come with.

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/arch...ly_upgradeable/

Does anyone think If I sent this to Apple and asked nicely they could actually do this for me?

I know it will probably cost lots but just to know that it was possible would be nice. :P

i think that's Impossible to do and apple does best to produce these Macs and you have to know that Ati 2600Hd 256 is excellent Graphic Card may be 8800 is better but it's enough to play any game in the market nowadays too isn't cool?.

maybe there is someway to change your Graphic Card but you have to know that will be Illegal so don't call Apple for this thing.

Macs upgrades only by Apple and no one can upgrade it except ram and Hard Drive.

The worst thing on Apple Macs is you just have to wait a new version with higher speed or better design so that we all have to wait Apple every year to know What is the new from Apple that year!.:(

Khaled