Ugly UI In Leopard

madhur

45 posts in this topic

I think steve "god" jobs could not come out with very uber cool features , he also gave a rather not so exiting keynote , i think the whole thing is just a joke , none of the features are truely worth the wait , stacks is alrit , so is spaces and timespace , i like mail , but than the UI , It is so ugly and i am a die hard mac fan and cant stand the sight of a PC , but i hate to admit the new UI looks like a cheap imitation of vista , im sorry it does with all the transparent look , i was expecting much better , and was extremely dissapointed , heck i did not download the wwdc update , it aint worth it .......... personally i think i will buy it but if there are a little more nice changes , honestly the UI was one of the things i was counting on , i knew they gonna come up with neat features like stacks and spaces and quicklook and coverflow , but i hate the new UI , Preach with me if u agree

It's not just about the ugly Menu-Bar. I couldn't believe how ugly all these ugly, dark windows in Leopard are. I like iTunes 7 Look. But most apps in Leopard look dull and boring, some really really ugly.

I hope someone at Apple will look at Leopard with some distance and understand it's severe ugliness.

At first, I liked the new shadows of app-windows. But in use they are not more prominent at all. They make it even harder to distinguish between underlying titlebars.

The dark grey of the active window has a smooth gradient over the shadow to the dull grey of the inactive windows titlebar, what makes it even harder to distinguish between foreground and background window.

Stacks: They are beautiful. But obviously nobody at Apple ever opened a stack in fan-view on top of other windows. It's visually {censored}.

The new active app-lights in the dock are {censored}. It's significantly harder to see, which apps are running.

And overall: Leopards window-look is dull and ugly.

But: the rounded-corners and backgrounds of windows are not yet resolution independent. Most buttons are. So there is hope, that this might be a placeholder.

I used it for 2 weeks now fulltime.

I thought it wouldn't be that ugly when i just saw the screenshots on Apples Website.

But in use, it's really ugly.

And Apple does't show real-world screens on their website. You can't imagine the visual clutter of a stackfan in front of an open safari-window if you don't use it.

Or the ugliness of several finder-windows open in one space.

they are not allowing shapeshifter in leopard. the UI isn't as bad when you are actually using it

You have Alc861/660 on you system, don't you? Soundless.... :wink2:

About Leo...

Well, the best thing to do is to wait an see. Apple is known to listen to users suggestions. And a lot of work is being done before the RCs start to show up.

Colonel: I honestly can't see ANY similarity in the two pics you posted.. they both show a horizontal bar.. one is nearly opaque and dark black/blue, one is pale grey and nearly transparent.. one has flow effects, the other has an understated grey spotlight window.. the only similarity PERHAPS is the use of the colour blue, but blue has been the colour of choice for highlighting things in OS X since forever.

The only new transparency in Leopard is the menu bar. That is it. Nothing else is transparent that wasn't transparent before.

I've been using Leopard for a while now, and I think the UI changes are great. The only thing that does irk me is the reflections of windows in the dock. I have my dock shunted over to the bottom right hand corner, so I always get these glimpses of the 3 diagonal lines in the bottom right hand corner of windows for resizing showing up on my dock.

hey i hate "Microsoft" , and i think i should rephrase myself , the new UI reminds me of Vista , and what i am trying to say is about 60% of the beauty , glow , and the charm in OSX seems missing , i am sticking to tiger till they come up with a better , more exiting UI , or atleast support shapeshifter ..... i like the dock its neat , still needs work but its neat....... i really dont dig transparencies , and considering microsoft already tried that , i was expecting something different , it is different but kinda the same ..... i just want them to put a better effort , if the keynote was a live bob dylan performance , it seemed that he wrote that opening song 5 minutes back , it was incomplete , not convincing , and not half as exiting as last years WWDC , now in devil wears prada style ..... THATS ALL .!!!

Leopard... I can't say the new UI is ugly but I definetly think it could look much better, that I hope it will until release date in October. It does have some ugly parts, the transparent bar or the windows shadows, but I prefer the unified look in windows now than what we had in Tiger. I wonder why you nug about the new color sceme since you've been using it in iTunes and iLife for sometime now. I hate both dock and transparent bar. Hopefully they will re consider at least for those two.

i really dont dig transparencies , and considering microsoft already tried that , i was expecting something different ,

But.. theres only one new transparency effect in Leopard, and its nothing like any of the transparency effects in Vista. Well, its similar in that its a bar, that you can see through, but its nowhere near as opaque as the Vista task bar, its white instead of black, it doesn't but a massive blur on whatever's behind it.. really it looks very very different.

And I reiterate: It's the ONLY new transparency!

I don't hate the transparent menu-bar. I just think they put it together very quickly before the keynote and it needs some serious work.

You can't even use a lot of the preinstalled wallpapers, because the background behind menu-items would become to messy. Didn't Steve say it would adapt to whatever picture you choose?

And the black apple is ugly. But I do think, they can make the transparent menubar a beautiful thing.

Just my two cents: yes, I agree. When I saw Vista I thought if MS pulled that off imagine what Apple will do.

1) Unified look. Good thing for sure. I just hoped they would make the brushed silver the default look throughout the UI. It really was different than any OS out there.

2) I wonder: was "Illuminous" codename an Apple one, or was it thought-up by fanboys? 'Cause if it WERE from apple, what's so illuminating about it? I don't see any lighting except for the active applications' pointer. Which doesn't excuse the choise of name.

3) The new dock is a polished dock taken from Sun's Project Looking Glass. It's actually the same with a new skin. And I hate that icons cast two shadows. One at the bottom and one going towards the desktop. For some reason it makes me wonder what laws of Physics they forgot. Two light sources... Well if there are two light sources then they both need to have the same intensity in order for both shadows to be visible. Which doesn't apply to all the icons. Oh well, you get my point.

4) The only thing that keeps me from screaming at Apple is that WWDC is as the name implies "DEVELOPERS' Conference". Not CONSUMER. We all focused to the things shown on Day 1. No-one really knows what core technologies were showcased to developers the following days. And they HAD to be revo/evolutionary. If that were a consumers' conference,k then I'd be worried.

There you go...

Out and over from Greece. Cheers!

Nobody mentioned that the new menu bar also fills to the corners of the screens and doesn't have that little rounded bit.

I like that a lot, and I really like the new menu bar, the transparency is reactive to your wallpapers so it's just fun to play with.

I'm also very excited for the dark unified look. I've been using the 'UNO shade' theme for a long time and now it's official.

I also really like the stacks, makes navigating my hdd more appealing. and the new finder is nice too.

now the dock is a different story, I'm very happy with my 'cleardock' enhanced, umm, clear dock right now.

I ran leopard for a couple of weeks, but I couldn't use parallels with it, and I need it for work.. so I switched back. I really don't like the look of the dock.. its ugly. I don't need to see my applications reflect in it. It makes it more noticeable. The dock now is nice, because it doesn't catch your eye.. and I don't want it to. The little blue dots suck, I couldn't tell what programs were open half the time. The shadows were over board.. I like the clear top menu.. that was cool. But over all I wasn't that impressed. Stacks is ok.. I'll probably never use it. Spaces bogs down my computer too much.. and again I'll never use it, unless they make it so you can have a different screen resolution in different windows.. then I'd run XP in one and OS X in the other. The new finder is stupid... I'll never look at anything in the cover flow mode. But I must say that the quick look is REALLY cool. I used that all the time to check on pdf files quickly.

Otherwise I can live with out the rest of it. Once again, too much hype. Apple and Microsoft products are just going to continue to get closer and closer together. What else can we really use in a OS?

3) The new dock is a polished dock taken from Sun's Project Looking Glass. It's actually the same with a new skin. And I hate that icons cast two shadows. One at the bottom and one going towards the desktop. For some reason it makes me wonder what laws of Physics they forgot. Two light sources... Well if there are two light sources then they both need to have the same intensity in order for both shadows to be visible. Which doesn't apply to all the icons. Oh well, you get my point.

:hysterical:

That just made my day. Seriously.

dude , it can be one or many new transparency effects , if they are putting it in the god damn menubar thats where half of the time my pointer rests , and considering i dont dig transparency , it is the only place i would not want it ....and even if i grew into liking transparencies , the menubar is just the tiger menubar with transparencies , and it aint done properly, now yall gonna say its beta , but they took goddamn 6 months to come up with this freaking {censored} , its NOT WORTH THE WAIT ...COME UP WITH A UI LIKE YOU CAME UP WITH FOR IPHONE SOME THANG BEAUITFUL .... ..... also when i saw the desktop .... the only thang saving the beauty of a mac was the dock (which needs some work too) , and i like the dock , i like it asin its better and a step above the old one ..... creatively atleast .... THATS ALL