Removing Kexts

c0ba1t

12 posts in this topic

Im a COMPLETE noob in this matter, so help would really be appreciated.

I have a Radeon 9800Pro, which is on the unsupported hardware list this matches up pretty well, cus when i boot up mac os X it loads about half way then just sits there.

Apperently I need to remove all the *ATI entrys in some folder

But being as neither my windows install or my linux install will recognise that partition as a hard drive this is proving a little hard to change anything.

Any help would be great

c0ba1t,

You can try to install OSX using VMware as a host, in either Linux or Windows. If it installs, then you will be able to remove the kexts while it is running (either log into it as root or use sudo).

or

Get your hands on MacDrive for Windows. It will let you mount your OSX partition in Windows and access it that way.

or

You should be able to mount it in Linux too, using something close to this line that I have in my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hdc2 /mnt/MacOSX hfsplus rw,umask=000 0 0

The mount command will also work, with type set as hfsplus. I don't know the exact syntax off hand.

To c0ba1t

If you use MacDrive on xp, save MacDrive_6.07.

( ati kext location : \System\Library\Extensions )

To jrrjrr

What command is For removing \System\Library\Extensions\ATIRadeon8500DVDDriver.bundle?

(either log into it as root or use sudo)

(step by step, thanks.)

-s sudo

next command ?

That error isn't a big problem, anyway if you want to move or delete the ATI Conflicting kexts you can boot in Single User Mode, so those kexts are nor loaded, then you need to enable read-write to the partition with mount -uw /, then you delete or move the kexts, then reboot.

Safest might be to use the move command to move it to another folder for safekeeping. mv is the command for move. I think you need to give it the -r switch, which is for "recurse (include) sub-directories" because I think a .bundle is really a folder, and you want it to move all of it, including any folders inside. So the command ends up being:

sudo -s mv -r /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon8500DVDDriver.bundle /System

That should move the .bundle over to being directly in the /System folder where it will be ignored, I think, and hopefully I have it typed correctly :wacko:

In either Linux or the OSX terminal, you can get a quick lesson on how a command works by typing in, for instance: man mv

man gives you a short plain text "manual" on the command, in this case the mv command. When you are done reading a man page, you type q to exit it. The basic commands in OSX Darwin and Linux are very similar.

Edited by jrrjrr

thanks

um, how do i do that? :wacko:

I wasnt kidding when i said i was a TOTAL noob

thanks

No offense or anything, but if you are a total noob as you say you are, then perhaps you shouldn't be fooling around with OSX x86? The slightest difference in hardware can cause the world's errors... You could essentially screw your whole computer up.

But anyways, I had to do this too a few months ago. I just went to google, learned some basic apple command line commands such as move, delete, list, etc... and I used them to move all the ATI kexts out of the folder to a backup one (all from the command line)... I was recently trying to find my notes on that because I feared that I needed to use them again, but I can't find them... Otherwise I would have posted them here..