wswaak

27 posts in this topic

Hi

Im recently running OSX 10.4.8 on my

AMD athlon 3500+

AsRock socket 939

Onboard Audio Realtek ALC850

Onboard Ethernet

It all looks great but my internet isnt working, and without it im lost. The problem is that OSX thinks that the networkcable is disconnected,

but it really isnt! It works great under XP. I tried giving mannually the IP adress, but still nothing. hope any one has a solution.

A second problem is that i dont have any sound. Under preferences/sound/output is nothing i can select....

Hope anyone can help

Thanx

check the wiki to see if your hardware is listed and how to get it to work: http://wiki.osx86project.org and if you want some help in this thread you can start by saying what nic (network interface card) you have. You should also try the search function to see if there is a thread on how to get your nic to work already.

Edit: didnt see your last post before, just post what card you have and I will try to help!

I dont really know, but i downloaded everest and it says

ULi/ALi M5263 Fast Ethernet Controller (PHY: Realtek RTL8201CL/CP)

Hope this is the information your asking for.

All i found on the net was a kext called IONetworkingFamily.kext. Some people say that

it worked for them other say that it doesnt.

But i cant find where to download it.

Maby there's an other solution

Try downloading this driver: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hdckvv

Scroll down and you will find the download link right under the google ads (with a red arrow pointing at it).

After downloading it and extracting the file you will see a directory containing a couple of files, one of them is a kext file (actually a directory).

Just copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

If you dont know here is the instructions:

Start a terminal and go to the location where you downloaded and extracted the downloaded file, enter the directory that was unpacked and do the following:

sudo cp -rf PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

Now you only need to reboot. Hope it helps!

Thank you Really for helping me!

I tried to folow you instructions first i go to the directory were i download it.

(i just drag the map in the terminal)

This is the first time i use Mac OSX or the terminal, so I a tried the following

I put in the text

udo cp -rf PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

than i press enter

I put in the tekst

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

and press enter

udo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

press enter

press enter

chown -R root:wheel

press enter

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

press enter

chmod -R 755

press enter

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

press enter

I really dont know if this is right, but it gave some errors.

Maby i misspeld something, or should i type in the whole text at once??

Im sorry for asking al these questions but im really new in this stuff and like to learn it. And get my internet to work :(

ill try it again for now

Only press enter where ENTER is indicated even if there is a new line, its a new line because it doesnt fit otherwise, if you see a new line just press space on the keyboard and continue to write until ENTER is indicated.

sudo cp -rf PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

ENTER

ENTER

ENTER

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

ENTER

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

ENTER

Hope its more clear now :( Otherwise just ask again.

Thank you very very much, it worked. :help:

Im now typing this under OSX.

I dont really know what i did but I guess i just needed a driver. Will this also work if i find a driver for my ALC850 onboard audiocard?

Thanks!!!

Great! Yes you should do the same for the sound just find the right driver and put it in, I found a AC97 kext that you could try if you want.

Download

http://www.nedprod.com/Niall_stuff/MacOS%2...7Audio.kext.zip and unzip it

then just do almost the same as before

start the terminal again and go to the directory where you unpacked the zip file there you will find the unpacked kext.

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

sudo cp -rf AppleAC97Audio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

Reboot and hope for the best!

If this doesnt work you need another version of AppleAC97Audio.kext, then you just browse the forum for another one that is supposed to work better for your setup and you do the same procedure with that one. For your sound card its this file you need the question is only which version you should get.

Hm i tried it but something I get this error in the terminal

Last login: Wed Jul 11 16:16:41 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

w-s-computer:~ ws$ cd /Volumes/Untitled/Video/AppleAC97Audio.kext/

w-s-computer:/Volumes/Untitled/Video/AppleAC97Audio.kext ws$ sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

Password:

w-s-computer:/Volumes/Untitled/Video/AppleAC97Audio.kext ws$ sudo cp -rf AppleAC97Audio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

cp: AppleAC97Audio.kext: No such file or directory

w-s-computer:/Volumes/Untitled/Video/AppleAC97Audio.kext ws$ chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

chown: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext: No such file or directory

w-s-computer:/Volumes/Untitled/Video/AppleAC97Audio.kext ws$

I've put the kext file into the Extensions library, but it didnt made a difference.

Or should i just download an other version?

I see the problem, your not supposed to write cd /Volumes/Untitled/Video/AppleAC97Audio.kext/ instead write cd /Volumes/Untitled/Video/ you cant be inside the AppleAC97Audio.kext since thats the one you will need to copy.

So instead of writing

cd /Volumes/Untitled/Video/AppleAC97Audio.kext/

write

cd /Volumes/Untitled/Video/

and then write as you did before. Now when you are in the right directory to do this you should execute the commands exactly as they are and it will install the new drivers, hopefully it will also work :P

too bad i didnt work, i installed the driver but OSX still couldnt find any output devices. ( preferences/sound/output)

But I get the idea, hopefully i can find a version of this kext that will work on my system, fingers crossed.

you've really been a big help, no way i could figure this out on my own.

cheers

I've got the same onboard ethernet device (Realtek RTL8201CL)

I follow the same tutorial in this topic, but for me doesnt work :wink2:

Any other solution?

PS. I've uphuck 1.3 mac osx 10.4.9 on amd athlon 64 3400+

Try this one: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W4G8GHD6 btw which ac97 hardware do you have? This one includes two more drivers. It would be helpful if you could find out who manufactured your ac97 controller.

If you have Windows on your computer you could install (if you havent already) drivers from realteks homepage www.realtek.com.tw, just browse for windows drivers for alc850 and install, then you will get a utility that you can configure your audio with, somewhere in that utility you can read information about your sound hardware and find out what ac97 hardware you have, that would really be helpful.

You might need to manually edit a file to add your device id for your sound controller, if you know which sound controller you have we might be able to find out which driver to add the device id to.

Giammy ask the people in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6xEthernet.kext if you want to know more about this driver, do you have an uli network controller? Apparently thats the only one the driver supports so if you dont then it will not work. 8201CL is just a phy so the actual hardware is manufactured by someone else than realtek. Could you find out who? I dont know how wswaak did to find out but he should be able to tell you.

Giammy, download Everest for windows. This gives you a detailed list of whats in your computer. So you can see if you Uli internet controller.

Im now downloading the driver for my windows audio to find out wich one I have.

edit: what I found : Realtek ALC850 @ ULi/ALi M5455 AC'97 Audio Controller

Is this what you mean or do you need more information?

My Vendor and Dev. number is 0x545510B9

I tried to edit this in the info.plist with nano.

Giammy, download Everest for windows. This gives you a detailed list of whats in your computer. So you can see if you Uli internet controller.

I downloaded it, it says i have: SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter (PHY: Realtek RTL8201CL/CP) PCI

Giammy, download Everest for windows. This gives you a detailed list of whats in your computer. So you can see if you Uli internet controller.Im now downloading the driver for my windows audio to find out wich one I have.edit: what I found : Realtek ALC850 @ ULi/ALi M5455 AC'97 Audio Controller Is this what you mean or do you need more information?My Vendor and Dev. number is 0x545510B9I tried to edit this in the info.plist with nano.
Bad news, I cant find anyone on the forum that has sound working with your controller, in this thread they are discussing this issue. Seems like its not compatible with OS X atm.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=ALi+M5455
I downloaded it, it says i have: SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter (PHY: Realtek RTL8201CL/CP) PCI
Sorry cant find any driver for your card, the only RTL8201CL driver thats avaliable only works with Uli controllers. Your card is not compatible with OS X atm. There are really cheap nics you can buy that should work just fine have a look at the hardware wiki: http://wiki.osx86project.org.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Try downloading this driver: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hdckvv

Scroll down and you will find the download link right under the google ads (with a red arrow pointing at it).

After downloading it and extracting the file you will see a directory containing a couple of files, one of them is a kext file (actually a directory).

Just copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

If you dont know here is the instructions:

Start a terminal and go to the location where you downloaded and extracted the downloaded file, enter the directory that was unpacked and do the following:

Now you only need to reboot. Hope it helps!

Thank you very much Common Sense.

It worked for my integrated ethernet NIC on my Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 motherboard with Leopard installed.

• 1 month later...
Thank you very much Common Sense.

It worked for my integrated ethernet NIC on my Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 motherboard with Leopard installed.

Weird, I have the same mobo Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 and I'm n00bishly messing around with a kalyway 1.5.2, i get a kernel panic on boot when i try this driver.

Any ideas?

Got it working now tried switching kernels a few times, but now it works on sleepkernel, think it just might have been a hardware OC related issue.

Now for sound...doesn't look good with this mainboard... if anyone has succes please let me know.

specs are:

ASRock 939Dual-Sata2

AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.4 GHz

8800GT 512MB (works)

currently booting kalyway sleepkernel leopard 1.5.2 from a USB drive

(UPDATE: got SATA and onboard NIC working!)

Onboard sound so far no dice.