iPhone and 10.4.8

caglo

13 posts in this topic

So I reeallly don't want to upgrade to 10.4.10 (I'm running on an AMD)...and I'm going to have an iPhone in a couple days. Is it absolutely necessary to be running OS X 10.4.10 to sync up iPhone, or is there some sort of workaround?

Thanks,

caglo

a guy on the hackint0sh IRC channel said he watched his friend connect up the iphone to a 10.4.8 system with the latest itunes and it worked fine. good to hear, but we'll see saturday night when I have mine.

I'm running 10.4.5 and had to edit the systemversion.plist file to trick it into thinking I had 10.4.10 installed. I found instructions somewhere before (I think it was this site) when I had to edit in order to install iLife 06. You can substitute the 10.4.4 below to 10.4.10. Also, my productbuildversion is set to 8G1454 (10.4.5 code?), but I don't know if that matters.

Here's the instructions (credit goes to whoever wrote these!):

Editing of SystemVersion.plist Instructions:

To enable all of the features of the iLife '06 suite (and probably other software from apple in the future), type the following command from a terminal (applications/utilities/terminal.app):

sudo pico /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist

enter your administrator password, then you should see a short xml file that you can edit.

change the "productbuildversion" string to 8G1165 and the "productuservisibleversion" and "productversion" strings to 10.4.4, as in the following example (in pico use the cursor keys to move around):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>

<string>8G1165</string>

<key>ProductCopyright</key>

<string>1983-2005 Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>Mac OS X</string>

<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>

<string>10.4.4</string>

<key>ProductVersion</key>

<string>10.4.4</string>

</dict>

</plist>

To save and exit from Pico, type:

ctrl-x ("exit")

y ("yes - save modified file")

enter ("choose default filename to overwrite")

choose file==>exit to quit terminal.

now check your "About this mac" apple menu to see that it thinks you're using 10.4.4. Try running imovie and you'll be able to use themes now. It really works. Apparently this hack helps with installing the latest java version too or something like that.

I would like to mention that with your system version changed to 10.4.10 iTunes doesn't accept keyboard shortcuts. When I changed it back, it worked right away. This indicates that Apple is likely doing something a little different that relies on something from 10.4.9 or .10

The only difference that would cause any trouble for the iPhone between .9 and .10 is the presence of some Yahoo! sync stuff that honestly, nobody would ever use.