I am losing my faith

38 posts in this topic

I almost feel like a lifelong Christian that has finally realized that God does not exist.

Suddenly I stumbled across this thought the other night. I'm not sure why but it seemed to hit me like a tonne of bricks would have if I was lying underneath a tip truck that was emptying it's load. I was lying in bed, thinking away like I normally do when I thought - Apple is horrible. They are totally terrible. Their hardware, their software, it all is so sub par, such a CON. They package it up in these golden ribbons stating things like "THE FASTEST COMPUTER EVER" and "THE BEST OPERATING SYSTEM EVER", when really it looks nice and is very well designed, but is totally poor.

My first case is the Mac Pro. This thing costs $3000. With just a small number of MODEST upgrades it will cost $6000. Now sure it's fast. But what does it do? So you get it out of it's box, plug it in, turn it on, and you're off! Try installing that M-audio Delta 66 into it... what's that it has NO PCI slots infact it seems to feature three PCI-E slots, that aren't even linked for Crossfire. Okay so you need to buy an $8000 audio card as well as the $6000 computer if you even want to think about recording some kind of professional audio on this thing. Seriously, they could have put at least one PCI slot in it.

But this is exactly what I am getting at, something we all know. Apple does not give a {censored} about backwards compatibility. But why should they? They make their money from selling their dirty hardware, not from supplying an acceptable level of technology to their customers. Well they should care about backwards compatibility. Are they a knowing computer hardware company, or simple con-merchants. I am wagering with the con-merchant factor here.

Everything is locked down. Hardware and software. Now nothing wrong with proprietary software, we all use it (and pirate it), but proprietary hardware? Sell a professional a computer for $6000 then tell them they can't read DVD's from another country. By an Ipod for $300 and tell the person they can't use it to store their music. Oh yeah we can't forget the recent, "if you want to use something that came with your $2000 computer you have to pay us $15" (wireless n)...

Now, Mac os X "the best operating system in the world". Really??? That must be true. The thing looks friggin' horrible for starters (brushed metal, itunes 7 anyone?). Try getting it to look the way you want you have to install buggy software that will send the operating system into frequent crash mode. Okay so a minor surface thing. What shines about Mac OS X is not it's design or originality - because lets hold up for a second THEY STOLE IT ALL FROM UNIX they claim it is the most revolutionary operating system out, but it is an operating system that has been around for thirty bloody years. THey just took it and ran it through the Apple grinder, then put a little apple logo in the corner. What stands out about OS X is it's software developers. They do make damn good software, and it's easy to find, install and use as well. Apple has a few crown jewels itself like Final Cut Pro (oh yeah THAT IS THE ONLY CROWN JEWEL - though premier is shaping up to be a nice little program too). Sum up Mac os X is a con too. Ripped from another piece of software they claim it is their own. The only advantage of using this thing over the orginal (unix/linux) is the software.

And Leopard. I think everyone was disappointed with the WWDC preview. They took something that was severely lacking (OSX/FINDER) and made it look like iTunes. Full stop.

I don't know what to do. I am a hackintosh user, so still quite happy that I have not paid the company a cent. Though upset that my lifelong computer advocate (I have used macs since I was 7) is falling apart and behind. In my opinion they do not deserve my money because they offer me nothing I would want to pay for. But what should I do? Keep using Tiger with my Hack mac and just get used to it. Switch to XP, or on an even more outrageous move switch to Vista?

I'm going to wait it out for now. But I should be ready that maybe, just maybe using a Micro$oft operating system may be my only option. But then again, the entire computer industry uses it so why should I be an exception?

I am sorry I sound so totally adverse to all things APple. It isn't really like that. I have loved them for many many years, I have spent countless hours arguing with people about the benefits of Mac's and OS X. but now I have realised the extent of their connery. I am angry at myself as well. I need help people I need advice. What should I do. My income, my life, my creative future revolves around computers. Should I stay apple or finally wake up and cross the line?

I think your making a bit of a big deal about something so small (well not small, but you make it sound worse than it is) wireless N is only 2 dollars, go dig in your couch and you'll find more than that. Some Linux distros cost money, such as linspire. as for the PCI slots, I agree with you there.

as for Leopard, all they really did to finder, was make categories collapsable, nothing too new, but nice, Leopard is very nice imo

I dont use Mac OS X because I think its the perfect OS. I use apple software (and hardware) because its the best we've currently got.

Seriously, where are you going to go? WinXP? Vista? Linux?

Good luck.

I sympathise deeply with the OP, and have to agree with Munky too.. OS X is *nix.. it's a very polished, easy to use *nix.. this is a good thing, because it gives stability and the benefit of all those years of experience.

I said it at the outset, and I say now, that if Apple will sell me OS X for my own use, then I will buy it, but I won't buy a Mac until they make one that is worth buying, in direct comparison with other x86 machinery on the market.

The sad fact is that Apple is moving away from making "Personal Computers" as made clear by Jobs' statement that they are making products for tomorrow, not today, and also by the change of name to Apple, inc.

Apple has long sold on the "specialness" of their products, which was believable until they went intel, at which point they are suddenly using the exact same components as every other pc manufacturer, and the specialness becomes just another marketing ploy, reinforced by omitting pci, pushing the non-upgradeable models, and selling just one "PC" a behemoth 8-core workstation which is way outside the budget & requirements of most users.

As operating systems go, I still like os x, because whilst far from perfect, and now looking old & tired next to things like Vista & Compiz/XGL (or whatever this weeks flavour of accellerated X11 is) it is still the closest thing to my ideal OS that I have found so far.

What Leopard will bring remains to be seen, but it is abundantly clear that us ordinary desktop users have been abandoned by Apple.

You are VERY confused if you think Apple is worst at backwards compatibility. Substandard technology? - then you don't know your technology. I will agree that Apple needs a mid-range, expandable Mac. The MacPro is too expensive for the average pro-sumer.

I think you should wake up and slap yourself in the face, stop trying to use non compatable hardware with a brand new freaking Mac Pro. Hell, you have a MAC PRO, consider yourself lucky.

Wow, talk about hyperbole.

Ever since the first Mac, Apple has always been about design and interface.

Two things I still believe they do better than anyone else. (Just look at the iPhone. We're not talking price, hardware, interface)

Its a niche market and probably always will be. They design products that just work for most "average" users.

You can argue that you can do this or that with some other product, but your essentially arguing its horrible, because its not that product. It's not suppose to be, its a different target.

They stole it? If the source if freely available and you are allowed to use it, how is that stealing?

To most user OS X is the GUI. You think average Joe cares it uses a BSD based system? So what should they have done... developed a new OS from scratch? Why and how does this help me? I don't much rather have a 30 years tested base to install my GUI.

Seems to be an awful lot of these threads lately and I don't get it. Don't buy t if you don't want, why the need for these posts?

Seems to me that it can only be for two reasons: Either you're a humanitarian trying to enlightened the blind followers, or you want Apple products but more to your criteria. (Less money, more options etc. If that is true than it can't be as horrible as you say.)

I dont think OS X is that bad. Who cares if it has a UNIX foundation? IMO thats good, its rock solid. I will agree with you that they need a more affordable Mac tower thats expandable. $1200-$2000 price range or something, they should drop the iMac IMO. I stick by what I have always said, I would pretty much only buy Mac laptops but I would never buy a Mac desktop. (The Mac Pro really needs an 8800 as its video card, it'd be nice if you could have two like Alienware offers)

Guest Ramm
...stating things like "THE FASTEST COMPUTER EVER" and "THE BEST OPERATING SYSTEM EVER", when really it looks nice and is very well designed, but is totally poor.

Apple has never claimed to have the fastest computers ever. Granted, they did say they do have the best OS ever, but in reality, it pretty much is. Stability, usability, price, etc.

what's that it has NO PCI slots infact it seems to feature three PCI-E slots, that aren't even linked for Crossfire. Okay so you need to buy an $8000 audio card as well as the $6000 computer if you even want to think about recording some kind of professional audio on this thing.

Don't buy a new computer expecting to find just PCI slots. They are old, and expensive. PCI-e is the best way to go. It sounds like your little sound card developer there is the one that screwed up. No wonder it costs $8000, it's PCI.

Apple does not give a {censored} about backwards compatibility

Yes, that's exactly why all the new releases of their OSs work on technology that is from 6-7 years ago. Not only that, but most apps continue to be produced as universal. I see how Apple has no care for backwards compatibility...

Oh yeah we can't forget the recent, "if you want to use something that came with your $2000 computer you have to pay us $15" (wireless n)...

$15, eh? Oh yeah, big deal...

The thing looks friggin' horrible for starters (brushed metal, itunes 7 anyone?). Try getting it to look the way you want you have to install buggy software that will send the operating system into frequent crash mode.

It does not look horrible. Perhaps you just don't like it. That doesn't mean it's horrible. I like, and I would say 95 percent of the other people on this Mac based forum do as well...

THEY STOLE IT ALL FROM UNIX they claim it is the most revolutionary operating system out, but it is an operating system that has been around for thirty bloody years.

This is the most hilarious thing in this whole rant. Of course they "stole" it from UNIX. It's UNIX-based. That means Linux stole it too! Oh, wait! Pretty much every OS stole from UNIX. Poor, poor, UNIX.

And Leopard. I think everyone was disappointed with the WWDC preview. They took something that was severely lacking (OSX/FINDER) and made it look like iTunes. Full stop.

I like Leopard. Most people, that I hear from, like it as well.

I don't know what to do. I am a hackintosh user, so still quite happy that I have not paid the company a cent.

If you are going to rant about apple so much, then why do you use their OS? You seem to be quite the hypocrite.

-Ramm

Mkay,

PCI-e 1x are the new PCI slots, Server motherboards dont support crossfire, thats from Intel Specs, not Apple.

If you want backwards compatibility, go to windows, you will see how backwards compatibility has torn Windows into a terrible OS.

Almost all those issues: dvd regions, wireless N ARE LEGAL ISSUES, not Apples' lets make a quick buck scheme.

Lastly, there is no stealing when it comes to the BSD license :D.

Sounds like you are on a rant with no facts to support your statements.

If you don't wanna pay more money on hardware, build your own computer with parts.

If you don't wanna pay more money on software (OS, programs), build your own system with open source *nix, and download open source programs here and there, tweak it in your way. Or write yourself a brand new OS! Good Luck!

...Why do people write anti-mac stuff on this wonderful mac website ;) if you dont like it... why are you here..

and also IMO leopard is AMAZING i love it :D

Why do some fanboys accept everything without thought or reflection?..

Without critical appraisal there is no change..

Without differing opinions, no debate.

Without alternative interpretations we would have only totalitarian Apple-worship

And then there would be no "wonderful mac website" as you so inaccurately call it.

Without alternative interpretations we would have only totalitarian Apple-worship

You used the keywords: debate and critical appraisal.

Posts that don't elaborate and just state "Horrible", "Sucks", Great", or "Awesome" aren't critical and are hardly debatable.

(In my book that's not debate but opinion based pissing matches.)

You used the keywords: debate and critical appraisal.

Posts that don't elaborate and just state "Horrible", "Sucks", Great", or "Awesome" aren't critical and are hardly debatable.

(In my book that's not debate but opinion based pissing matches.)

I have 2 suggestions:

1: get a more open book.

2: re-read the thread and realise that the only non-critical and simplistic arguments are coming from those who decry the OP's standpoint. (which on a cursory examination, contained none of the terms listed) The O.P made a reasoned argument, in opposition, however, I have yet to see anything but the outraged protests of the faithful at the heretic in their midst....

It is hard to have a pissing contest when only one side chooses to {censored}.

There is a reason for the increasing number of posts of this nature, namely that from the point of view of many computer users, and long-time Apple customers, the current direction of Apple inc. is highly questionable.. and this is one place where such questions can be aired.

I have 2 suggestions:

1: get a more open book.

2: re-read the thread and realise that the only non-critical and simplistic arguments are coming from those who decry the OP's standpoint. (which on a cursory examination, contained none of the terms listed) The O.P made a reasoned argument, I have yet to see anything but the outraged protests of the faithful at the heretic in their midst....

It is hard to have a pissing contest when only one side chooses to {censored}.

Wasn't referring to just this thread Hagar. (I knew you would say that. ;) )

Beatles had a song "Let it be".

Everyone has his (or her) own fate, so does every company.

We live in a free world, we shouldn't point finger on someone else, cause you never know thoroughly what kind of life they are living in.

Same as for apple, it is led by Steve Jobs in public, you may never know what stree SJ will have, right?

If they fail again, they may be able to learn from it again, or they may not, but some other company may learn from it and may do better than Apple, who knows!

The car is running, we have no point to stop it. Just let go, you and I could also enjoy something else.

Hopefully I made my point clear enough, English is my second language.

If you want backwards compatibility, go to windows, you will see how backwards compatibility has torn Windows into a terrible OS.

QFE. Sometimes companies have to take the leap and sacrifice backwards compatability for the future. MS didnt do it, and now their in a rough spot.

And then there would be no "wonderful mac website" as you so inaccurately call it.

All though overall the OP's argument wasnt very solid, and wasnt expressed very good, Hagar is right. Some people on this forum get so blind and swallow everything!

I dont know about you, but I just got my macbook for a week and I still have my desktop on my table. I prefer to use the macbook because of the interface of the OS. Simply, it looks better, way easier to multi task (Loving Expose), faster, and plain awesome. Im one week into my macbook and Im completely in love with it. But I do agree that its kinda stupid it cant read dvds from other regions.

Ones thing's for sure, Im switching to Macs after using Windows for such along time, roughly 10 years. My brother's complaining about his new laptop with Vista on it sucks, and Im just bragging how this Apple OS owns. At first I had my doubts about switching to Macs, but I wanted to with Apple because my creative mentors told me thats the way to go on the creative track. Im glad I took their advice.

Taking a brief look at Leopard, it looks awesome. Even time machine would be enough for me to get it. Because I tend to delete my stuff without really making sure I need it later or not. I plan to do a playful ad on it and see how people like it and I might end up putting it in my portfolio.

OK I am a Mac Pro owner and I have to comment on this. You are actually complaining about no PCI slots for an audio card? Are you nuts? The Mac Pro has 2 TOSLINK optical in and out audio ports on the back. YOU CANNOT GET BETTER QUALITY THAN THAT! You don't need an audio card.

The price of the upgrades from Apple are ridiculous and I happen to agree with you there. But just run to Newegg and get some Crucial ram with the same heat spreaders on them and throw them in. They are fully compatible and I use 8 GB of it in my system (and I didnt spend $50,000 to get it either).

Stop complaining about your bad ass computer and just try to enjoy it. Mine is the absolute best computer I have ever owned and I know I spent an arm and a leg for it but in my opinion it was well worth it. I would not change back any time soon.

Hi everyone,

Well to be frank.. I have never fancied myself owning a Mac Desktop, but i do like a Mac Laptop. But i haven't realized my wish so far for a Simple reason : No Proprietary hardware.

Now after the entry of Intel , i thought " well. this might be the opportune moment".. But very soon i got a STOP signal with the rumors of the x86 stuff. Again i was observing the situation dutifully using the windows and UNIX clones ( Fedora , Ubuntu and Solaris)

One fine day, i experimented on the hackintosh DVD. and well. i was very impressed with the performance on my almost obsolete hardware. ( P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, GeForce 5500 FX, etc.,)

My feeling is that. OSX outperforms most other OS in terms of usability and performance. With a solid foundation based on BSD is another plus. Too many creative programs is a definite way to go.

Still there is a question unanswered? If it can run on normal hardware, why wanna insist on apple hardware??

At this stage, I WILL BUY a copy of the OS i can install in my custom rig, if apple could consider that in the future. Otherwise ( Most LIkely.) I will just move on.. I dun have any specific idea why must i buy a costliest stuff which got too many restrictions. I am just trying to be rational..

Will you buy a car which can be used only on approved roads and can only paint the car in white and which can only run on "apple gas". watver.. ??

Branding might be of their concern.. This might be a niche market.. They add "pride" to the price tags.. but why all the fuss..

If there was a technical hunch... then i accept that prop. hardware is essential.. But when the truth goes the other way ( OS X is happy on any hardware, but the idea of tweaking the code to fail on custom hardware.. is not the way for a true innovator.. ) at least.. am not used to it.

So If i am likely to be a legal mac user, i will ask "freedom to choose my hardware" in the list. Otherwise, i will just pass the licensing to the clouds and move on.. There are two many stars.. some bright. some brighter..

Real Thanks to the x86 developers to bring things to the light. otherwise.. some business tactics might have never been unearthed... I personally thank Uphuck for his wonderful release, which enabled me to experience mac on my household PC :unsure:

Regards../

Gilma

Stop complaining? Thats when you become ignorant. Don't overlook Apple's major problems, because they are there whether you believe it or not.

So why don't you rattle off some of the "major" problems you speak of? For the record I am not ignorant, but rather complacent with the setup I have. Every OS has it's downfalls and not one will be "FAR" superior to the other.