Quad-Boot Setup Help

1 post in this topic

Hi guys,

I currently have my Acer laptop partitioned and installed in the following configuration:

HDD capacity: 120Gb

Windows Vista Business - 30Gb NTFS (Primary)

Fedora Core 7 Linux - 18.61Gb ext3 (Primary)

Apple OS X 10.4.8 - 25.9Gb Mac Journalled (Primary)

Data - 37.22Gb FAT32 (Logical)

I'm thinking about adding Windows XP Media Center 2005 to the setup, but I'm having trouble figuring out if it will work - I don't want to spoil my nice shiny triboot setup :thumbsup_anim:.

I know that hard drives can have a maximum of 4 primary/extended partitions, and that an extended can hold as many logical partitions as needed. I can shave 7 or 8 Gb from the Data partition and create a second logical drive within the extended for Media Center, but will it boot from that?

I have tried installing Media Center directly onto the FAT32 Data partition, but curiously it sets the NTFS Vista drive as it's C drive when it boots. Only solution I can see is to create a partition for it, but I have no primary slots left.

Any help appreciated lol.

Cheers,

MF

// Edit: I should have probably mentioned, I'm using Vista's bootloader for the selection process. I also realise you may be wondering why the Data partition isn't Primary. I originally had two Logical partitions within an Extended - the Fedora swap partition and the Data partition. I decided to get rid of the swap as I'm not going to be using Liunx as the main OS and resized the Data partition to take the rest of the space. :)