Laptop keyboard (I8042 controller) not working

43 posts in this topic

Hi,

everything is working perfect on this laptop, even the touchpad but the internal keyboard is dead.

Keyboard is also not working during installation but touchpad does work so nothing changes from installation

to regular boot. If I plug in an external USB keyboard everything is working without problems but without

the built in keyboard OSX doesn't make too much sense.

What I tried so far:

various DVDs (JAS, Uphuck / 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.8, 10.4.9)

various ApplePS2Controller.kext

played with the bios settings

kextunload kextload

repair permissions in different ways and deleted kextcache and mkext according to the forum

more than once.

Usually one of the above receipies did work on other machines but there seem to be something special

with LG-Laptops regarding internal keyboard.

I don't have a clue where to look exactly since in the logs I can't find any trace of this internal keyboard.

I don't even know if its PS2, USB or something else ;-). The trackpad is definately PS2 since if I kextunload the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

it stops working and if I reload it starts working again. Disabling it and plugging in a USB-mouse didn't convince the keyboard

to show any signs of life either.

I'm glad for any hints where to look for a solution or any explanation what is so special about this internal keyboard or LG-laptop keyboards in general regarding OSX86 since there are no such problems in Linux or FreeBSD.

Thanks in advance,

HeinB

LG R400, Core2Duo T5100, 1 GB, 120 GB HDD

Linux is reporting the controller for trackpad and keyboard as a I8042.

trackpad(working) is at AUX1, keyboard(not working) is at KBD

Anyone knows what kext is responsible for the I8042 ?

Hi,

I also have an LG laptop, but an older model (LS50a). Its a Pentium M 1.8ghz with an ATI 9700 and 1gig ram.

I also had issues with the keyboard on installation, had to use a usb ext. keyboard to complete installation.

This is what i have done to get it working (after numerous trials and observations).

1. kextunload/kextunload /System..../ApplePS2Keyboard.kext in the /etc/rc

2. remove Extensions.* (2 files in the /System/Library folder)

3. Repair disk permissions (either terminal or thru disk utility)

4. Enable USB Legacy support in the BIOS (despite what has been stated on other threads). If this is disabled the keyboard will not work consistently. Enable it and all is sweet.

From time to time the internal keyboard wont work (not that often) and easily fixed with just the touchpad. Either deleting the Extensions.* and reboot or perform permissions repair if i had installed some drivers etc.

Everything working nicely at the moment.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the solution exactly as suggested in the reply but didn't work for me either.

There must be something very special with this keyboard or better how it is "wired" to the system.

It is working on any other OS I tried including FreeBSD - strange.

I had a look at a kext-source I found and I would be willing to investigate if I only knew where to start looking :thumbsup_anim:

Since touchpad is working and touchpad and Keyboard are using the same controller due to hardware info from linux - i8042,

trackpad is using AUX1-port and keyboard is using kbd-port I guess its a good bet that the controller is detected ok but I still don't know

if the problem is kbd-port, protocol or the keyboard itself.

Any hints?

TIA,

best regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Is there realy no way to fix this problem?

Much people have this problem and nobody knows the answer. Can anybody explain why it can not work?

I have a notebook with this controller and it would be very nice if my internal keyboard can be used!

Thank you!

Tuxianer

I have a Compaq Presario 2.0ghz amd Laptop and it does the same thing. Does not recognize the touchpad or the keyboard. Usb works fine though but rather work from internal keyboard.

Is there realy no way to fix this problem?

Much people have this problem and nobody knows the answer. Can anybody explain why it can not work?

I have a notebook with this controller and it would be very nice if my internal keyboard can be used!

Thank you!

Tuxianer

You know whats strange? I have a compaq pressario x6000 (3Ghz P4, 2GBRam) - all works relly nice out of the box with jas 10.4.8 install, except wifi and modem. But thats no problem. Even some of the Laptop Function Keys are working, like volume control. It has an US Layout with English language. I have the @ sign!

On my ASUS A4K with an AMD 64 3000+ the jas 10.4.8 works also, but I haven't installed any driver from the install dvd.

I did just the System, AMD Drivers and German Language pack. thats all! The Touchpad was working during installation and after boot. The leyboard is also working fine, except this: No Fn-Keys, and NO @ ! Where is my @-sign??

Does anyone of you maybe has a tip for me? I've not tried to switch to US Layout on the ASUS one, but I will try that in the evening. Maybe this will work, dont know.

SG

For me the trackpad works perfektly but the keyboard does not. Even the special keys like volume or "mute" don´t work. I think it´s the controller, but in linux (ubuntu for example) it is fully working and also the controller is listed with the right name in the system control.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi,

everything is working perfect on this laptop, even the touchpad but the internal keyboard is dead.

Keyboard is also not working during installation but touchpad does work so nothing changes from installation

to regular boot. If I plug in an external USB keyboard everything is working without problems but without

the built in keyboard OSX doesn't make too much sense.

What I tried so far:

various DVDs (JAS, Uphuck / 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.8, 10.4.9)

various ApplePS2Controller.kext

played with the bios settings

kextunload kextload

repair permissions in different ways and deleted kextcache and mkext according to the forum

more than once.

Usually one of the above receipies did work on other machines but there seem to be something special

with LG-Laptops regarding internal keyboard.

I don't have a clue where to look exactly since in the logs I can't find any trace of this internal keyboard.

I don't even know if its PS2, USB or something else ;-). The trackpad is definately PS2 since if I kextunload the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

it stops working and if I reload it starts working again. Disabling it and plugging in a USB-mouse didn't convince the keyboard

to show any signs of life either.

I'm glad for any hints where to look for a solution or any explanation what is so special about this internal keyboard or LG-laptop keyboards in general regarding OSX86 since there are no such problems in Linux or FreeBSD.

Thanks in advance,

HeinB

LG R400, Core2Duo T5100, 1 GB, 120 GB HDD

Linux is reporting the controller for trackpad and keyboard as a I8042.

trackpad(working) is at AUX1, keyboard(not working) is at KBD

Anyone knows what kext is responsible for the I8042 ?

i can help you. put this file into EXTENSIONS folder and be happy

ACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip

I have tried the file but without success. The terminal shows me the following error:

"kextload: cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension ACPIPS2Nub.kext"

I set the userrights with chmod and chown...If you can help me, I would be very happy!!!!

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also using LG RD400 laptop. I tried so many things available in the forum but can't find any working solution. Keyboard is a must and we need to make it work. I request developers here to listen us and help us to solve our problem. If anybody make it work, please post your howto here. I hope one day, our keyboard will work for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

from ubuntu linux (dmesg):

[ 13.730916] PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:PS2K,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12

[ 13.735376] i8042.c: Detected active multiplexing controller, rev 1.1.

[ 13.738367] serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

[ 13.738372] serio: i8042 AUX0 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

[ 13.738375] serio: i8042 AUX1 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

[ 13.738378] serio: i8042 AUX2 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

[ 13.738381] serio: i8042 AUX3 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

[ 13.738582] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

multiplexing controller problem mac?

one solution?

please one solution!!!

user brazilian Mac OSX

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I have the LG P1-KP52B laptop and tried to install Leopard without success, because of the same problem with the keyboard. I'll try with all those solutions, but if anyone can help with this... It's only for all you to know

Thanks

My ASUS laptop was having this problem too. My trackpad/USB mouse worked, but the built-in keyboard or USB keyboard did not no matter what I tried. I was able to get through my install by using safe mode (-x) and a USB keyboard, then installed patched ApplePS2Controller.kext files, now all works fine.

Good Luck