InsanelyHacked!

178 posts in this topic

Yay it's back! Nice and quick guys! Hopefully this {censored} won't happen again.

long & short is that all we have at present is a few nicks (hotfuse, colder) and various logs. the fact that he's an asshiole goes without saying, he also has extremely poor english, and typed some cyrillic at one point, which may or may not be a double-bluff to lead suspicion towards certain russians...

BUT! as you can see speculation leads to all kinds of conclusions, and I feel the less of a witchhunt we have in this community, the better..

so rejoice, we're back! and lets get on with life .. that is after all, what he wanted to disrupt/destroy.

and leave any investigations to go on behind the scenes... :thumbsdown_anim:

I don't know if it's because I'm a dumbass, or because I just finished reading Harry Potter, but your name keeps making me say Hagrid instead of Hagar haha.

I'm glad to see the site back up :whistle:

YAY! Glad IM is back, i was so bored the past couple days. I really dont care about my email. as if i didnt already get loads of spam anyways, gmail is usually pretty smart about catching it. I should change my password still just incase.

Glad you guys are back though! :thumbsdown_anim:

can you do a traceroute & see where it slows up?

heres where it slows:

8 so-0-0-0.cr1.dfw2.us.above.net (64.125.29.197) 24.119 ms 20.852 ms 19.851 ms

9 so-0-0-0.cr2.dfw2.us.above.net (64.125.28.210) 27.891 ms 19.935 ms 25.288 ms

10 * * *

11 so-0-0-0.mpr1.dca2.us.above.net (64.125.26.1) 48.948 ms 66.356 ms 56.242 ms

12 so-0-1-0.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net (64.125.27.58) 119.854 ms 122.646 ms 134.922 ms

NOOOOO NOT SPAM! ive managed to keep my email spam free and i dont what spam!

the site is actually slower for me :\

I see that you are in the US. We have found that it takes just 70ms (i.e. 0.07 seconds) longer to ping the new server here in the UK from the US, and we put the blame for that squarely on the Atlantic Ocean ;) However, we are using more sophisticated equipment and separate servers for the database and apache, which has resulted in significantly faster page loads, which should make up for that slight delay.

welcome back ... it sucks that there are people out there who would want to kill such a vibrant and close-knit community.

i say we find them, and make them install Vista, that's punishment enough ;)

lol it's a serious crime to hack insanelyMac, but not to hack macosx. ;)

:) You know... that is a funny little bit of irony... but nevertheless, I'm glad the site is back and perhaps this little event should remind us to appreciate the resources that are here and focus more on making things better rather than trying to tear them apart.

Exactly what i was thinking, we're reporting our website being hacked yet we are a central hub of hackers and crackers ourselves.....

I was wondering, is there anyway to download the whole site to use offline? Because i'd like to go through the forums on my laptop (old posts mostly) but i dont have internet on it yet. Maybe you could upload all of the posts for download?

Dear ColdFusion and other Administrators:

Ever since your site was hacked, I have been getting errors when trying to view RSS Feed using Apple Safari Beta 3.0 for Windows. Even after getting the site back up, I'm still getting the same errors.

I am able to view using Firefox 2.0 for Windows and OS X. I'm also able to view using Safari 2.0 on OS X. I'm also able to view other RSS Feeds (like Yahoo! News).

Only problem is viewing RSS Feeds on InsanelyMac with Safari 3.0 Beta for Windows.

Does anyone have any ideas why?

--danyel :whistle:

The only good thing about that sad episode is that some of us just realised how important is this extraordinary amount of knowledge available from insanelymac.

To the administrator team, I'd like to say: two thumbs up ! and keep on doing such a good work !

To the hacker(s): please post something here the day you will be in jail, just to tell us how great it is to get raped in the showers everyday.

Oups, sorry, I'm so stupid... you won't even be able to touch a keyboard for a long time...

My only hope is that it hasn't been done by a known contributor, it would be so insane.

PS: I live in Paris, France, and it seems that the servers are a LOT faster than before.

What a {censored} who did this! Could it be that it is someone connected to Apple.

I tried to download some files but that was not possible. The Natit files to be exact. Can the files be restored? I could also not find the Boris Badenov thread is that information gone?

So it appears someone with nothing better to do took it upon themselves to bring down the site for no good reason. They used an Invision PowerBoard exploit which allowed them to gain root access to the database, and after backing it up for their own gratification and future exploitation, they deleted it. I guess this is some people's idea of fun, but the simple fact is: it's a serious crime. So serious in fact, that the investigation has been passed to the UK's Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA), and we have been able to provide them with a number of leads thanks to some sterling work from our excellent mods!

We'd like to take this opportunity to appologise for the fact that your email addresses have been compromised and may be passed/sold on to third parties who may like to inform you from time to time that is indeed possible to double the size of your genitalia and perform like a god or goddess in the bedroom. This is extremely unfortunate, but we can assure you that your passwords are safely encrypted on our server so we should be free of account abuse. However, if your password is not particularly strong, we recommend you change it to something stronger ASAP. This is because commonly used passwords could be compared against a list of their encrypted versions, so passwords such "hello" are really not a wise choice. We recommend that your password be at least 8 characters long and contain a mixture of letters and numbers.

When we purchased InsanelyMac we wrongly assumed that it was set up securely, and since the hosting equipment was part of the purchase, we saw no immediate reason to move the hosting away from ThePlanet. Obviously this incident has forced us to look carefully at the security arrangements, and as a result we have have migrated the site over to our own servers, patched the forum to the latest version and added another layer of authentication where required. We have also revised our back-up strategy so that any future incidents can be recovered from more quickly. So despite being blackmailed by those claiming to be responsible for the attack, we are pleased to announce the return of InsanelyMac, now more secure than ever.

WELCOME BACK..!

There's still some low-lives in this world who like to spoil it up for everyone else, unfortunately. Glad to have you back and keep up the excellent work.. :whistle:

Collar

:star_smile:

1.) To address Soliber's question....and I stress this is PURE speculation on my point. While Insanely was down I was going over to hackint0sh and there was a lot of discussion over there that this may have been a politically or ego based attack. It really was disturbing some of the anger in the posts over there, took me rather by surprise as Insanely for the most part has always been a very civil place.

Semthex has a pretty major grudge against this site, and hackint0sh is basically his home turf so that'd be why.

It was a sad fact, indeed. But those of us that joined the IRC room, shared some quality moments together. We heard from Panther that she was in an Apple Store, turning down a bargain on a 20 inch iMac and went out to lunch after some considerations of her needing some shaving. And Colonel and Cow managed a great dialog about q and p.

yay site is up. anyway, no spam for me, and even if there was I wouldn't mind. I got IP trackers on my e-mail, so bye bye to their IP getting connection to me heh