Burn a .DMG file to a dual layer DVD-R

8 posts in this topic

I have downloaded several disc images in .dmg format, most of which require dual layer discs. what is the best way to burn these? OS X Disk Utility kept on giving me a "laser calibration error" (only for the dual layer discs, not single layer). I am using a SATA Lite-ON DVD-RW drive that I just bought a month ago. A buddy of mine told me that he thinks that OS X will only burn dual layer discs to official macintosh dvd-rw drives. Would it then be possible to buy that Pioneer drive (can't remember the model number... anyone?) and use that instead of my Lite-On?

I have also tried using MacDrive 7 on my Vista installation, but that program would barely function at all. it DID allow me to see the contents of my Mac partition, but the function that i really wanted--Burn a Mac CD or DVD--would not even start!

The third solution that I heard about was using Disk Utility to convert the .DMG to .CDR, transfer the .CDR images to a Windows partition, and rename the extension to .ISO and burn (simply). However, some people reported that this did not yield a readable DVD on OS X, and i do NOT want to waste precious expensive DVD-R DLs if I can avoid it. It is also very very time consuming to convert the 7 GB images, but I will just do it if it'll work.

Thanks.

You mentioned that you're using DVD-R DL. Have you tried with DVD+R DL? What does Apple System Profiler say in the "Disc Burning" section? I know that my drive supports DVD-R DL, but ASP says only DVD+R DL, while Toast 8 says both.

Yeah.. only thing you can't do within any OSX/GUI-based burning tool is specify the layer-break offset when burning a DL image.... which is generally irrelevant unless you need to burn xbox 360 ISO (backup of course) :D

-R DL aren't read by many consumer devices btw (DVD set-top, xbox360, etc)