Black Friday $400 Wal-Mart Laptop Thread

poursoul

76 posts in this topic

Can you list Item by Item what works and what does not?

Did you have to add the ati kext to the ISO? Did you manage to find one already altered? Is full Core Image and Quartz Etreeme working? What of IO performance on the HD?

Also, is the CPU still being take up a ton... I mean is it still severly slow?

I hope that I don't seem like a lazy {censored} to you, but I have already broken my usb to mini IDE connector trying so many different things. I just want to know before I invest in another.

I did this on a compaq v2000, which apparently has similar specs. I used the jas 4.2b + ati-addon patches on the iso and installed via vmware. My bios is severely limited in options, so I can not turn off usb legacy support which is causing my keyboard and mouse to not work. After I get into vmware, I moved iousbfamily.kext out of extensions and it would boot up natively.

Thus far though, don't expect core image or qe to work. I know that progress has been made for some ati chipsets, but not the 200m. The sound is apparently conexant based and I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work yet either. I have a broadcom based 802.11g internal which is recognized after a mod to the downloadable io80211 kext as an airport extreme. My bluetooth, a hp internal usb, would be recognized if not for my having to disable all of usb (I suspect that removing something like IOUSBHIDDriver.kext would help). IO performance is comparable to the performance I have on a desktop system running a 915chipset (with nearly 100% of the hardware supported). The CPU seems to be able to handle the load just fine.

Good luck.