Black Friday $400 Wal-Mart Laptop Thread

poursoul

76 posts in this topic

In regards to the v2000 and its variants (L2000, etc), it would be a shame not to find a way to get it to work. Aside from the ps2controller and the dma hard drive issue, all of the hardware works. I can get it to boot on my l2000 and it detects the nic and bluetooth. The ati drivers should be easily modifiable to run the 200m and the wireless is broadcom based so chances are it would work with the patched airport kext.

Since there is already work being done to support a wider range of ATA controllers (nforce and via, for instance), there is a good chance the ATI chipset will eventually work.

I am convinced that the ps2 issue we're having is a product of some sort of bios settings we can't get to ... like on most motherboards, the "Enable USB Keyboard" kinda deal where it makes a usb keyboard behave like a ps2 for the sake of OSs with lack of usb support. I think that is why we are getting a "timeout on keyboard" or whatever error it is. Just a guess.

I'm not giving up yet. :withstupid:

In regards to the v2000 and its variants (L2000, etc), it would be a shame not to find a way to get it to work. Aside from the ps2controller and the dma hard drive issue, all of the hardware works. I can get it to boot on my l2000 and it detects the nic and bluetooth. The ati drivers should be easily modifiable to run the 200m and the wireless is broadcom based so chances are it would work with the patched airport kext.

Since there is already work being done to support a wider range of ATA controllers (nforce and via, for instance), there is a good chance the ATI chipset will eventually work.

I am convinced that the ps2 issue we're having is a product of some sort of bios settings we can't get to ... like on most motherboards, the "Enable USB Keyboard" kinda deal where it makes a usb keyboard behave like a ps2 for the sake of OSs with lack of usb support. I think that is why we are getting a "timeout on keyboard" or whatever error it is. Just a guess.

I'm not giving up yet. :withstupid:

Guys , try this KEXT, I've modified ServerWorks driver so that the ATI driver works in DMA. You might get DMA mode 3 on ATI SB400. Let me know if it works. I've set the MAX DMA to 3 but I could set it higher.

I couldn't get OSX86 to see my DVD or my internal HD when I booted my Toshiba laptopn (ATI x200 xpress chipset) of an external USB drive. Thsi driver allows me to see and use my internal HD and DVD.

It's actually the AppleOnboardPCATA-2 driver that I modified to recognize ATI SB400. But it's using the ServerWorks personality.

Here's more info

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8088&hl=

Guys , try this KEXT, I've modified ServerWorks driver so that the ATI driver works in DMA. You might get DMA mode 3 on ATI SB400. Let me know if it works. I've set the MAX DMA to 3 but I could set it higher.

I couldn't get OSX86 to see my DVD or my internal HD when I booted my Toshiba laptopn (ATI x200 xpress chipset) of an external USB drive. Thsi driver allows me to see and use my internal HD and DVD.

It's actually the AppleOnboardPCATA-2 driver that I modified to recognize ATI SB400. But it's using the ServerWorks personality.

Here's more info

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8088&hl=

Could you please explain how to do what your suggusting? I have a ZE2308WM (the bf lappy from walmart) and I tried installing osx on the drive by putting it in another machine and it took 30 minutes of booting when it was back in the drive to lock up.

100% native.. booted right off the cdrom.

8f1111 wesley patch.

Be sure to have a usb keyboard/mouse aswell.. I used an imac keyboard with a hub so I could use my mouse aswell, and a logitech g7/imac puck mouse.

Installing oxford dictionaries now.. be warned it will take overnight and more... but so far its worked well.

:(

Lets hope it keeps going... lol

Completely.. native.... :poster_oops:

rd=disk0s1 just tells it the root device is disk0s1, the hdd.

For the installer I didnt have any arguments... as none were necessary.. it just booted right up.

However, once installed, I finally got it to work.... using chain0 in windows..

Still waiting for foot device...

using -v rd=disk0s1 platform=x86pc

It wont work native :'(

Now its hopeless.

Has anyone had any success at all with tiger on this ati chipset? be it desktop or notebook?

I'm confuzzled now, as the VMWARE install booted, however the native install continus to give me still waiting for root device.

But until I find a faster alternative, I'm gonna migrate over to solaris..

Oh.. I also tried darwin 8.0.1 frm apples site, and it does the exact same thing. I tried darwin 6.1 and it locks up on hard drive selection.

I'm going to give the old jaguar x86 install a shot and see if its just tiger and the modifications/anti-non mac install things or just os x itself that doesn't agree with it.

Oh, and anyone familiar with os X's installer, does the installer modify any important settings when it reaches "finalizing install"? as my ast install freaked out at installing ichat, and tahts what I have tried to boot. Perhaps theres some system files it didn't get to.

Anyways, it takes way too long for me to keep trying this... I declare it next to hopeless.

Has anyone had any success at all with tiger on this ati chipset? be it desktop or notebook?

I'm confuzzled now, as the VMWARE install booted, however the native install continus to give me still waiting for root device.

Oh.. I also tried darwin 8.0.1 frm apples site, and it does the exact same thing. I tried darwin 6.1 and it locks up on hard drive selection.

I'm going to give the old jaguar x86 install a shot and see if its just tiger and the modifications/anti-non mac install things or just os x itself that doesn't agree with it.

Oh, and anyone familiar with os X's installer, does the installer modify any important settings when it reaches "finalizing install"? as my ast install freaked out at installing ichat, and tahts what I have tried to boot. Perhaps theres some system files it didn't get to.

Anyways, it takes way too long for me to keep trying this... I declare it next to hopeless.

Dif you try this kext:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8088&st=26

Here is the kext. It works for me and others with the x200 chipset - For ATA at least. The rest is still work in progress.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...pe=post&id=1318

On my laptop (HP L2000, ati xpress 200), appleps2controller.kext gives me problems and the only way I can get my lappy to boot is by removing it. Try that. If that works, there may be a chance one of the patched ones can replace it.

Just use the deadmoo image in vmware to remove the appleps2controller.kext (or put it on the desktop) and then dd the image. It'll at least get you to a point where you can use a usb keyboard and mouse - I use my bluetooth frogpad and mx900 and it works just fine - albeit slow as I havent gotten the chance to try out the ati dma kext yet.

Good luck.

Dif you try this kext:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8088&st=26

Here is the kext. It works for me and others with the x200 chipset - For ATA at least. The rest is still work in progress.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...pe=post&id=1318

Oooh.. thats looking very promising..

Any idea on how to add this to the DVD? I have the 8f1111 wesley dvd.. and I will have to burn it from my P3 :/

I'm assuming adding this to the startup of it would allow it to boot straight to the dvd right?! :o

You're a fscking genuis. You have earned a cookie.

Now earn another one by telling me how i can add it to the dvd :hysterical:

Oooh.. thats looking very promising..

Any idea on how to add this to the DVD? I have the 8f1111 wesley dvd.. and I will have to burn it from my P3 :/

I'm assuming adding this to the startup of it would allow it to boot straight to the dvd right?! :D

You're a fscking genuis. You have earned a cookie.

Now earn another one by telling me how i can add it to the dvd :gun:

See post #18 of this thread

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8088&st=0

It's my theoretical method but I haven't tried it.

See post #18 of this thread

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8088&st=0

It's my theoretical method but I haven't tried it.

Well thats a problem lol :D

I can most likely do this on the mac at school as it has a dvd burner.. so I will have to give it a shot monday. I dont have a high end enough mac to burn dvd's.... and could you possibly add more details if at all possible to the steps?

Thanks a ton! :gun:

Thanks a ton man.. im gonna boot it up in vmware and install it and see if I can addthe kext's today.. :D You rock!

Success!!!!!!!!!!

Sorta...

I did it in vmware (added the kext's and added owner to system/wheel... and it boots!

but I rebooted like twice, and its doing the old still waiting for root device :'(

I love it tho... :D

EDIT: Nvm just copied the kext's back into it using macdrive and ALL IS GOOD AGAIN!

Hoorah! I have a big list of stuff to get to work:

-Sound.. not even recognized yet

-Video acceleration (on everyones list.. lol)

-Wireless this broadcom seems very similar to apples airport.

-Trackpad.. not a peep from it doesnt function at all.. using a usb mouse (G7)

-Keyboard.. ps/2... *sigh*

-Ethernet.. os x finds a mac address, but will not connect for me.. and the network properties crashes.

When you start up, delete Extensions.mkext or next reboot it will be as if it was emulated again for some reason.. I just made an automator script that runs when I login to have me select the file and delete it for me so I dont forget.. The dock doesnt animate very fast like it should, and is just about as responsive as vmware is..

Can you list Item by Item what works and what does not?

Did you have to add the ati kext to the ISO? Did you manage to find one already altered? Is full Core Image and Quartz Etreeme working? What of IO performance on the HD?

Also, is the CPU still being take up a ton... I mean is it still severly slow?

I hope that I don't seem like a lazy {censored} to you, but I have already broken my usb to mini IDE connector trying so many different things. I just want to know before I invest in another.