Black Friday $400 Wal-Mart Laptop Thread

poursoul

76 posts in this topic

I believe native installation is possible on the ze2308wm with wmware 5.5 using maxxuss patch. I am currently formating my 2nd partition using the apple disk utility in wmware. I will see how things pan out. So far so good, I haven't encountered any errors. I have gone past all the language select, apple disclaimers, terms and conditions and so on. Now, I am just waiting on disk utility to complete erasing so that I can choose my second partition for installation. It's looking good.

btw I am using the 1099.dmg dvd. Here's what I've done so far.

1. Converted dmg to iso with ultraiso.

2. patched iso with maxxuss patch.

3. Burned iso to dvd using transmac.

4. installed vmware 5.5

5. setup virtual machine with 6GB, cdrom at E:

6. started virtual machine (auto booted osx86 from dvd)

7. darwin...blah, blah, (hit F8)

8. entered mach_kernel.orig (no -v)

9. let machine do it's thing for about 15mins or so.

10. select language came up.

11. Followed prompt up till select destination. (No hard drive volume showed up.

12. Using top menu in the install gui, I entered disk utility to format the 2nd partition

I am currently formating second partition of my hard drive. Once completed, I believe 2nd partition should show up for install.

Note: I had already had 2 partitions on my computer before atempting this process. btw, you may encounter a warning from vmware in regards to the cd-rom communication. I just hit ok.

Well, I was able to install it using vmware onto my second partition. I also used the dual boot option, but it will not boot up. It loads darwin fine, but it stays on the gray screen forever. I tried verbose mode to see if I had encountered any errors but there wasn't any. Regardless, I was able to boot the osx under vmware. It works fine. Sound works. Network works. mouse and keyboard works. The only problem is the speed. It can be choppy at times.

btw safe mode didn't work either for native boot

If it doesn't give you an error on boot-up under verbose mode what does it hang on exactly?

I am very interested if it still hangs on the hard drive detection (or ide chipset detection)

Thanks a lot for your hard work and persuit on this man.

EDIT: I also just put another 512 MB in the lappy and man it flies.

Edited by poursoul

Well, I was able to install it using vmware onto my second partition. I also used the dual boot option, but it will not boot up. It loads darwin fine, but it stays on the gray screen forever. I tried verbose mode to see if I had encountered any errors but there wasn't any. Regardless, I was able to boot the osx under vmware. It works fine. Sound works. Network works. mouse and keyboard works. The only problem is the speed. It can be choppy at times.

btw safe mode didn't work either for native boot

I know theres probably something obvious I dont know about this, but how do you go about booting to the vmware image on the second partition? :poster_oops:

If it doesn't give you an error on boot-up under verbose mode what does it hang on exactly?

I am very interested if it still hangs on the hard drive detection (or ide chipset detection)

Thanks a lot for your hard work and persuit on this man.

EDIT: I also just put another 512 MB in the lappy and man it flies.

I left it loading native for a while and it appears to almost reach the gui before hanging up (hard drive light stops blink for a while). Even if I could get it to load, it appears it will take too long for it to happen. There is no error. It just tries to load until it can't load anymore (I think). Takes a while before it hangs though (about 30 -40mins). I don't think I could wait that long for osx even if it could continue loading.

Besides, it loads and works pretty well in vmware. If you decide to go vmware route, I recommend that you mount the iso before starting installation in vmware (also make sure vmware boots from this mounted iso (virtual cd-rom). If you alt for the standard dvd-rom drive install in vmware, it will take too long to install.

I also upgraded the laptop ram to 1.5GB and dedicated 768mb to the virtual machine. This seems to help a little bit. Using vmware to operate osx works flawlessly depending on what you have running in winxp background. You can browse the internet. The sound works (with a little lag). The usb mouse works. The keyboard works. The only real problem is the video card since vmware emulates the laptop's video card within the virtual machine. Therefore, osx won't see it as ati x200. Regardless, osx runs pretty decent in vmware.

My recommendation would be to scrap a native install if you want osx on the wally laptop. Instead, install it on vmware and be happy. Besides, you could easily alternate between operating systems, and with an external hard drive, you can share files between both OS.

how in sam hell did you get 1.5GB on it... it can't handle 1GB sticks of memory.

You must be living on mars :withstupid: cos the ze2308wm allows pc3200 (over the 2700's) up to 2GB. This has been discussed since the day after black friday. Click here for the discussion.

I have also tried the vmware speed boost guide; there isn't much or any difference in speed. Btw, donot make partition 2 active in any partition program - including diskpart. You will boot right into the osx after the laptop bios, and you will not be able to see boot configuration options (boot.ini dual boot). Moreover, if you remove the osx install from partition 2 (i.e with partition 2 active) you will not be able to boot into windows at all until you format partition 2 as ntfs or fat system.

Most efficient way for a vmware (non native install and boot):

1. convert img to iso.

2. apply maxxuss ppf patch to iso.

3. Mount iso with daemon tools

4. create a second partition on the laptop (partition type doesn't matter). You may have to use partition software to shrink your original partition.

5. Create freeBSD Virtual Machine in vmware and set cd-rom drive as the 'daemon mounted iso drive.'

6. use your partition 2 as a direct hard disk in vmware instead of a useless virtual drive on drive C:

7. set partition 2 as (IDE 0,0) i.e vmware would emulate partition 2 as first partition hard drive.

8. start virtual machine, press ctrl+alt+enter for full screen and press F2 quickly to enter vmware bios.

9. disable all floppy / floppy controller and all serial ports. save and exit.

10. After bios reloads, quickly press F8 before end of count down in darwin boot. Enter 'Mach_kernel.orig' in darwin boot command line.

11. wait for GUI. choose english. follow all prompts until "select destination" option.

12. Using upper tabs in the install GUI, enter the disk utilities.

13. Select, format and erase partition 2 using options if necessary.

14. Return to "select destination." Partition 2 should appear as a destination. Choose it and continue install.

15. Everything else is self explanatory.

When you type in rd=disk0s1 you are booting off of the hard drive, not the DVD.

How do I direct it to boot off of the dvd drive? disk1s1? :)

Im just curious as to how if its telling it to boot to the hdd, how it is able to continue the bootup process until nfs_failed initilization 6 :blink:

Isnt that NFS error, network related? after it shows the kernel panic with the error, it calls a debugger, but also shows mac: 00:00:00:00:00 and no IP.

hmm?

You must be living on mars :D cos the ze2308wm allows pc3200 (over the 2700's) up to 2GB. This has been discussed since the day after black friday. Click here for the discussion.

hmm.. I thought A64's had trouble with large amounts such as 2gb @ 3200 and were forced pc2700 speeds?

:blink:

Well, did, before the winchesters, anyways... :P

in IRC I was working with hooKer to try and solve this, but havent got anywhere yet..

My goal is a native install off the dvd... my friends dont think it can be done, period.. letalone on a laptop... :)

Edited by Dippyskoodlez

OK.. **SUCCESS*!

I got it to boot to mac os X finally.

Using the 8f1111 wesley patch build dvd, I used dos to make the extra space (10gb partition) type AF and then used it as the disk in vmware. Installed it. copied chain0 from a tutorial and then added it to my boot.ini.

Darwin autoboots to windows, so instead I hit f8 really fast when I select mac os x and im able to select tiger (which I think i can change by changing the "startup disk" in mac os x?) and add the boot commands.

I use platform=x86pc in order to get it to boot.

But I still have a problem with MASSIVE CPU usage... and I cant figure out why..

Also, they KEYBOARD and TOUCHpad do not work. As with sound, network or anything...

so yeah... not very useful :/ My usb apple keyboard works, as does my USB mouse.

Dippy,

Is it possible you could try the ps/2 patch made by maxxus to try to get it to work with the built in kb/mouse pad? PLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSEEE. :hysterical:

Also, do you have the resources/possibility to image that partition and make a torrent of it called something like walmart.bf.osx86.img ?

Dippy,

Is it possible you could try the ps/2 patch made by maxxus to try to get it to work with the built in kb/mouse pad? PLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSEEE. ;)

Also, do you have the resources/possibility to image that partition and make a torrent of it called something like walmart.bf.osx86.img ?

I will have to apply the patch to the iso right? I'd probably have to just reinstall it then...

I had some serious troubles with it running and booting up.. it was so finiky.. and sorry, I wouldnt have the slightest clue how to get it imaged :s I had a hard enough time just getting it installed.. lol..

If you want, contact me on aim @ "dippyskoodlez" and I'll try to help you get it installed.. :) I still wish I could try the usb cdrom drive..

The Vmware method shows up with not seeing ANY hardware, and I dunno if you can "reresh" detected hardware in mac os x like windows... so thats a major problem :)

I will have to apply the patch to the iso right? I'd probably have to just reinstall it then...

I had some serious troubles with it running and booting up.. it was so finiky.. and sorry, I wouldnt have the slightest clue how to get it imaged :s I had a hard enough time just getting it installed.. lol..

If you want, contact me on aim @ "dippyskoodlez" and I'll try to help you get it installed.. :) I still wish I could try the usb cdrom drive..

The Vmware method shows up with not seeing ANY hardware, and I dunno if you can "reresh" detected hardware in mac os x like windows... so thats a major problem :(

So wait, let's just recap what you did. You have a Pavilion ZeXXXXz computer right? More than likely, the one for sale at Walmart's black friday. You have the Sempron or the Turion?

How exactly did you install and with what image?

From what I can gather, you used the 8f1111 with Wesley patch which you installed using VMWare.

How did you get past "still waiting for root device" and at what point? Was it after you installed via VMWare or before?

I guess I'd like to know how you did this.

I'm guessing he installed it using VMWare on a windows startup then booted it using "rd=disk0s1" or something to that power.

I am much more interested in seeing how much of his OSX installation he can get to be actually useful.

Step by step... :)

Black friday laptop- 40gb hdd.

Start: 40Gb windows partition. I used partition magic to reduce my windows partition. leaving 10 Gb for os X.

Boot to windows.

run->CMD

use disk part to create a seperate partition type AF

my computer->disk management

Make sure it is not assigned drive letter, if it is, remove it.

Open Vmware and create a new virtual machine.

I did this using my dvd, but it may work with the iso image..

for Primary hdd, I set it to the physicaldisk1, partition 2.

Boot to the cd using -v platform=x86pc after disabling all the serial ports and stuff in vmware.

Install.

AFter its done, or while, copy chain0 to your c:/ drive and add it to your boot.ini.

Reboot.

Select the chain0loader, and it will either give you the darwin loader or like mine did, quickly autoselect windows again, if it does, hit f8 right after selecting mac os x from the windows bootloader.

**for some reason, occasionally hitting f8 after selecting mac os x it gave a memory error. Just restart and try again.

Then you should see the darwin bootloader like the dvd has. add -v if you want, but you MUST have platform=x86pc, or I have found it will not boot. period.

After that, it takes a long time, but DOES boot.

I could fire up itunes, etc and it worked fine, but my cpu use was constantly sky high and it was so damn slow i just deleted it. Yes I checked for the appletpmacpi.kext.. ;)

Anyways, good luck... i may try the 10.1 dvd instead as it may be a 10.4 problem.. but meh.. when I get time... or care...

'til then, im saving for my macbook pro. :pirate2:

Usability- The applications RAN fine... when my CPU decided user was important enough to comply with and do something... everything I tried ran.... but it was like being on a first person shooter that is lagging like crazy... click on the dock, it would take a second, bounce, bounce for about a minute, next minute itunes would pop open...

If you wanna see what its like, fire up 2 copies of prime 95 and put em on extreme stress burn in... and try to play a game... bleh..

Any questions, feel free to message me @ dippyskoodlez on AIM cuz I may forget to visit back here occasionally (as mac os x isnt my priority.. linux is and some college work..)

Edited by Dippyskoodlez

I did all that Dippyskoodlez said.

And I was very happy. Till I found that the "Still wating for Root Device" message came to haunt me after all done.

I used the -v platform=x86pc.

But after detecting the Firewire, there comes the "Still waiting..." "Still waiting..." "Still waiting..."

It is booting ok insidee VMWARE.... so, I wonder, how can we make it recognize the root device outside?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

# Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP2

# AMD Turion 64 ML-30 (1.6GHz, 1MB L2)

# 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM PC2700

# 100GB 5400RPM Hard Drive, ATA-100

# ATI Mobility Radeon X700, 64MB VRAM

# 15.4" WXGA Display

# DVD Super Multi Drive

# ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset

# 6 in 1 card reader

# 802.11b/g WLAN

I have both the HP L2000 series and the Compaq V2000 - which are effectively the same (even bios reports the L2000 to have a V2000 mobo). I've run some extensive testing to get these working and I found the solution to my problem was the ApplePS2controller.kext.

I used vmware to remove the kext and then dd'ed that image to the hard drive. I booted with -x -v and after the disk checked itself, realized it was now on a completely different portion of another hard drive, rebooted, and then checked itself again, came up to the login. Of course, I had no keyboard or mouse, but I do have a compatible bluetooth controller - so it prompted me to pair my mouse and keyboard and it was running in no time.

Naturally, the lack of DMA is quite a {censored}. I am going to play around with the kexts a bit because there really is no reason that this won't support DMA in even the most generic sense. If windows xp can load it just fine using the generic drivers and so can linux, I think something can be done here.

As of now, I haven't gotten my wireless to work, nor the sound. I am pretty confident on the wireless since it's broadcom.

Oh and one more thing to add. Oddly enough, the display stretching found on this notebook due to it's widescreeniness can be fixed in windows. Using the catalyst drivers from ati's website (look for the driver not in the laptop section but in the mobo/IGP section), you can set it to use centered timings. I guess the catalyst control center makes changes to the video card's bios somehow. So when I boot, I get a true 1024x768 resolution with the black bars on the sides. I find this a lot more tolerable.

I hope that helps someone - I'll continue to post what I find.

Thanks for the insight zodiac-

I have a v2313us and the boot takes nearly 2 hours to show the blue background, but the login window never makes it. I have to blame this on the lack of DMA.. I know a lot of people have trouble getting linux working on this laptop, too. If you figure anything out I'll be eternally grateful.

This was the stupidest laptop (v2414) I have ever bought no wonder it was only 500 bucks. Cant even get Whoppix to work on it let alone osx.

VMware works fine even sound and wireless work....so why is it that this cant be done in native?

Anyways dont waste your money on these laptops. Cuz there is no support for it from anyone.

My 2 cents

HooKed

Actually, linux has NO problems on this. I had the 64 bit versions running quite smoothly. On the 32bit version, I had the wireless working with no problem using the ndiswrapper. Everything, including the video (as far as any ATI chipset works in linux) worked extremely well.

It's not a {censored} laptop by any stretch. The Turion and the Sempron units are great bangs for the buck if you ask me.

MacOSx will eventually work - someone will figure it out. I just built a dedicated MacOSX86 box which will help me work with the operating system not in vmware - which will be nice. I am convinced that one of the current ide kexts will work with some modification and the ps2 kext just needs a swift kick in the ass.