Leopard BETA as main OS

Supersonic

47 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about taking SuperDuper and cloning my Tiger to my USB disk, then installing Leopard 9A466 as my main OS. My Mac could certainly use an overhaul... I've cluttered the HDD with a ton of stuff I don't really use at all. Like the Server packages for example. I used those for some web hosting a while back and never used them again.

Anyway, I think Leopard is stable enough to supersede Tiger as my main OS. :)

I've got it as my main; it has a few quirks, but I've learned to work around them. I like the speed boost and no matter what everyone else says I think it's nice to look at. I think I'm pretty much done with Tiger.

I've been using various builds as my main OS since WWDC 2006. Unfortunately, I now have no bluetooth with 9A466, so I can't use my Apple Wireless keyboard/mouse. I didn't even do an upgrade install!

usin it right now and wish i was final so it wouldn't be buggy, but the bugs are not consistent, i don't think i could go back to tiger b/c i would miss quite a few of the usability that i have come to use quite often.

I really want to use Leopard as my main operating system. My only worry is that we are not getting software updates from Apple for this operating system so we are not getting security updates etc.. A good example is Safari which I believe has a new version on Software Update released a few days ago..

I really want to use Leopard as my main operating system. My only worry is that we are not getting software updates from Apple for this operating system so we are not getting security updates etc.. A good example is Safari which I believe has a new version on Software Update released a few days ago..

correct, but most all of the security updates where for windows users. clearly if you have the freedom to use a beta OS as your main OS you have the freedom to not be so uptight. If something serious comes out that would need patching we would probably know.

I had it installed on a new partition, tested it (CS3, VLC, Toast etc...)and it worked fine...so now im using it as my main OS!

Works like a charm....

1 minor detail....when using Parralel desktop to run Vista (Girlfriend is still not into Apple....but Ill change that sooner of later ;)!) PD sometimes crashes at startup!

I have Tiger and Leo installed. The problem is the different indexing method. If i switch back to Tiger, than i must reindex the whole work hdd to use with Spotlight or even for a simple search. When i switch to Leo: i must reindex the whole thing again. So, there are 3 possibilities: 1. constant reindexing again and again 2. A total, permanent switch to Leo. ...and of course: 3. To switch back to Tiger, but... new features, nice desktop, faaaast... ehh. (I'm afraid i will go with the 2.)

It's so bad: the search dont work with an unindexed hdd (Tiger and Leo). In the pre-Tiger systems it was not a problem. Wasn't it?

How can i "import" the "mail recents" from Tiger? I mean that if i start type an adress (which i was type already several times on Tiger) it completes that? I found that it is in the /Library/Application support/Adress book, but look different in Tiger and Leo. It's so important to me, and so complicated. Anyway, i never used the Adress book...

Sorry for my really bad english, but i'm not a native speaker...

1 minor detail....when using Parralel desktop to run Vista (Girlfriend is still not into Apple....but Ill change that sooner of later ;)!) PD sometimes crashes at startup!

Try VMWare Fusion - works for me.

I will be installing Tiger back - need to use it for work, not just for fun, and Leopard (while being useful and nice) is just not stable/mature enough.

I have Leopard on a MacBook and I think I will keep it for now until I am done testing it. I am getting used to the new features but propably will go back to tiger until Leopard is officially released in October.

I have to agree that Mac OS X Leopard is REALLY fast (makes me remember the speed boost form Panther to Tiger), yet, there is still a TONs of bugs in Leopard.

The most annoying one is that I cannot force quit a program unless I force reboot it by pressing the power button (yes, OS X is solid like rock, sometimes programs still crash). If this bug could be fixed, I will probably use Leopard as my main OS. (just like what I did for Vista 1 years ago, for free.)

Am using it now as my main OS. Bye-bye Tiger . . .

Very stable, and *very* fast. I don't have that force-quit issue that felix laumon has. Not sure why

As far as the bugs go - they're there, but I really haven't encountered any that would otherwise sour my experience.

One little annoyance, is that Leopard, when using Quicktime and Quicklook, takes its sweet time to recognize movies that require perian/avi/divx codecs. They appear, no doubt about it, but you have to wait a little. Quicklook still needs some tweaking, but I'm impressed with it nonetheless. Even with the most recent codecs installed, it's still slow, but once it's up, playback is very smooth.

Try VMWare Fusion - works for me.

I will be installing Tiger back - need to use it for work, not just for fun, and Leopard (while being useful and nice) is just not stable/mature enough.

Can you give me the name I have to look for at TPB?

When search for "VMWare Fusion" TPB can't find it and when I search for "VMWare" I have like 233 pageresults!

Thanx!

leopard is already my default OS ( iMac 20' Core Duo )

Just have few bugs: Google Earth, MSN messenger ( but Adium and aMsn work ) , Photo Booth video effects are buggy

This beta release is also slower than Tiger for me, but it may change in the future with the final product.

Oh, and there's one thing i still don't understand, when i installed leopard , i thought that all my appz/files will be deleted, but it didn't happen ( which is cool :D ) . Do you know what might be the reason for this ?