Kernel Extension Development: EMU10k1 or Via Envy2

dogbert

67 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I vote ten times for envy24 because 'im a ST AUDIO dsp24 multichannel owner (cport2000) :

it's a 8in/8out multichannel audio card that works fine under XP and OSX PPC with Cubase sx, Nuendo or

Logic audio (->5.5 under xp)... and under linux with alsa envy24 drivers (mandriva 2006 that i tested yesterday got fine complete control panel just like under win xp or macosx ppc)

About this : i tried the osx st audio drivers (PPC) for dsp24 the install was ok but the hardware was not found when i lauch the control panel, and the card isn't reconized by OSX86 10.4.1. system profiler

So if i could get cubase sx or logic under osx86 with multichannel in/out sound card at 24bits/96khz !!

whaoouuuuu !

.....Thank you dogbert !

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SB Live and M-Audio Delta 44 in my computer... so I don't care :D

Seriously, I think more people are waiting for emu10k1 support right now. It will be a while anyways before Logic Pro 7 is fully cracked and an x86 binary so we have time hehe.

Hello,

I Try to find someone interested by using this kind of chipset : ENVY24 under OSX86.

many 24bit/96Khz homestudio audiocards (with multiple in/out rack extention) are using it.

Many musicians and home studio owners are waiting for this kind of extension under osx86.

The fact is that it's not all the users of this forum, but it could let OSX86 touch this part

of users : it's a bit sad to get garageband, logic pro 7 or cubase working into osx86 but with a standart soundcard, enough to play with a little time, but not enough to make real songs (24bits/96Khz) on a x86 pc...

For this reason, my main operating system stays win XP : cubase sx3 and my st audio dsp24 soud

card for my homestudio.

Linux : E.G. Mandriva free 2006 makes complete integration of the envy24 with control panel but i think

there is no good enough software to work with compare to windows/osx ppc audio/midi software...

The position of OSX86 project into this area seems to me a strategic point not to forget ...

So i send a message to people who could help to win this challenge. I saw that Dogbert proposed to make kext for envy24 or EMU10K1 : people here had to determinate themselves by vote,

but the musicians/postproducters are minority....

Let me just say that

you can easilly buy a cheap soundcard or a cheap ethernet card (like me) that works well under osx86

but you will not buy another home studio soundcard to make it working under OSX86... you

will use the good main OS for your home studio soundcard :

(->maybe 95 % : OSX PPC on a mac machine / Windows on PCx86 and 5% linux ?)

WE CAN CHANGE IT, and show that osx86 could be the new studio platform for next years....

The audio software are the best, they could be soon universal binaries compiled, so

what about osx86 in that way...

I'm waiting for your comments or news you could have about this point, and, who knows...

an envy24.kext file...

PS : excuse me for my english, that's not my natural language...

UPDATE :

I tryed to install the official PPC driver for staudio dsp24 but it don't load because

this package (dsp24.kext) contains a binary that seems to be a classic

mac application, and not an unix executable file like in other kext from osx86....

anyway, there is no public source of this driver (ownership of staudio)

It is easier to recompile the free source of the envy24 linux driver to make it work

under darwin or to recompile it directly for osx ?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm quite convinced that this thread is already dead, but still... :) I'd very much like to see proper support for my M-Audio Delta 2496. I've got an Audigy ZS Platinum as well, but that's only for playing games under Windows. I've got sound through my onboard realtek, so I can manage, but it'd definately be great to be able to utilise the great audio quality of the Delta.

Then again, maybe the community should concentrate on porting the kX drivers, since Envy support is bound to come in bundles as soon as we start getting real desktop computers. There's so many Mac friendly pro audiocard manufacturers around using the Envy24 derivatives that that's certain to come. Possibly we can just go adding ID's to the kext as soon as some manufacturer comes out with a driver. The again Creative isn't very high on my list of hopeful hardware supporters for OS X, so the kX driver for OS X would be the better place to put the community effort in. And as stated before, this should make it easier to get support for some EMU cards added as well.

I'm by no means an expert in driver creation, but since the Envy derivatives seem to be supported on so many platforms, could we find a driver with close relation to the darwin kexts? Or is that so different from anything else?

Actually, could we port ALSA support and then build on that? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't think it will work, drivers seems to be PPC only for the moment, but, as i know, the only

serie working with envy24 chipset on M-AUDIO cards is the DELTA serie.

But there will be no x86 drivers since apple no shipping x86 macintel within pci slot...

We have to wait for the new apple G5.. (G6 ?) intel serie to see they will put pci slots inside

or pci express (or the both) ....

For this time, only USB1/USB2, Firewire 400 drivers can be found by soudcard manufacturers,

because it's actually the only "official" way to add a sound card to the new mac intel products....

Audio products manufacturers are waiting the choice of apple into PCI implementation to decide

what better technology/bussiness plan they will old on in the future, and what the windows vista

will perform for windows sound drivers technology....

... new USB speed / firewire 800 : to over match the pci specs or with pci express sound cards series lauch?????

I think it's not the good time to make your choice.

Your feeling about that ?

• 6 months later...