[HowTo] Turn mouse tearing OFF :)

xtraa

89 posts in this topic

add Display control to Menu Bar, for easy toggling of refresh rate, to fix mouse line problem.

go to System Preferences / Displays, and check, "Show displays in menu bar".

after quitting a game that causes you to lose your mouse, you can pretty easily change

your refresh rate up or down, then back to your prefered rate, with no need to log out.

add Display control to Menu Bar, for easy toggling of refresh rate, to fix mouse line problem.

go to System Preferences / Displays, and check, "Show displays in menu bar".

after quitting a game that causes you to lose your mouse, you can pretty easily change

your refresh rate up or down, then back to your prefered rate, with no need to log out.

thanks for the hint on the refreshrate. i found a little free program and combined it with a hotkey.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23850

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it seems like there is no actual solution for mouse-tearing except on the x1600 and cards like that, which is riduclous....Mouse Locator is ridiculous, I don't understand why anyone would want to lose such usability of the mouse just to not be annoyed...this is ridiculous, someone develope a hack already....

• 5 weeks later...

If you use mouselocator and have disabled beamsynch at the same time, you just can't notice the difference between with and without mouselocator...

And Xtraa, thank you very much for the ikey thing, i use it a lot to launch every script at startup, that's a perfect utility!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

seems like that no one developed an hack to get rid of mouse tearing once for all, that's too bad.

not everyone can upgrade or switch their graphic card just because they're on a laptop, like me.

I'm on an hp pavilion zd8237ea, radeon x600 with QE/CI@1440x900, JaS 10.4.8, works well, I use Mouse Locator for months waiting for a fix that seems like it will never come :(

I know, I know, buy a real mac.. well, I've an iMac 24", but I really want to use osx on my laptop :gun:

• 2 weeks later...
seems like that no one developed an hack to get rid of mouse tearing once for all, that's too bad.

not everyone can upgrade or switch their graphic card just because they're on a laptop, like me.

I'm on an hp pavilion zd8237ea, radeon x600 with QE/CI@1440x900, JaS 10.4.8, works well, I use Mouse Locator for months waiting for a fix that seems like it will never come -_-

I know, I know, buy a real mac.. well, I've an iMac 24", but I really want to use osx on my laptop :unsure:

I recommend U to use Mightymouse app which U can find in my signature to replace Mouse Locator, I think that program is better one!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Just thought i would let you all know... new program out there called Mouse Locator. as far as i can tell, does what Mousepose does, only FREE!

and... you can pick custom images for it... you see. also, it is implemented as a system preference pane. rather than an application (its universal BTW).

Download Mouse Locator

then..

1. install.

2. grab this .zip of images..

MouseLocator_images.zip

3. The MouseLocator-Blank.png is just a completely transparent png. the MouseLocator-ShadowMouse.png is an attempt to make things look a little better (Cursor Shadow). ShadowMouse has some funny side-effects, try it, you will see..

4. rename one of the MouseLocator png's to MouseLocator.png ...simply place it on your Pictures folder in your Home folder.

5. go to system prefs, turn on "Activate Mouse Locator" in the mouse locator pref pane.

also turn on "Always On"

this has worked much better for me than mousepose did...

use the *Blank.png for a mousepose type results.

good luck.

EDIT: fixed images archive... oops.

This method worked perfectly on my Radeon 9700 Mobility, JaS 10.4.8 DVD

I would recommend this over Mouseposé simply because it sorts out the problem and is completely free

• 1 month later...

It works great here too with an Intel GMA 950 graphics card. I still get the occasional random mouse tear here and there (it happens when I suddenly stop the mouse pointer), but it's light years better than what I had.

Thanks. ;)

• 1 year later...

I'm running an iDeneb 10.5.7 on a Thinkpad T60 with an ATI Mobility X1400. I've been able to get the video to work at my resolution (by forcing it, and I can't change it to anything else but oh well) and I have QE/QI and everything in the video area is fine except for the mouse stuff.

So I installed the Mouse Locator and while my mouse tends to blink and stuff when scrolling, it no longer leaves any artifacts behind. So, not perfect, but it'll do. Thanks a bunch for the tip on this one, it's good.

Now, if only my Intel Pro 1000 PL would work every time.. seems I need to boot into Linux first, and then when I reboot the LAN will work in OSX. Annoying to say the least.