[HowTo] Turn mouse tearing OFF :)

xtraa

89 posts in this topic

Another working solution is "iCursor". It's also free and used to make funny looking effects to your cursor.

http://www.giofx.net/osx/icursor.htm

I simple created an empty effect (all values set to zero) and a frame rate of 1. The results in a reare flicker of my mouse (everytime if a mousetearing would happen, the mouse just flickers) but there's no loss in speed etc. Anyhow, it's PPC only. Maybe they provide us an Unibin :);)

dripple

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I think this is the best place to post this. I used to have all kinds of uglyness with the pointer using safari until I gave this app a try just today. Please confirm if anything has gotten better, no change, or you just like the cleaning rag floating across your screen :graduated:

Screen CLeaner Pro: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17604

;) Yea I know it was a joke and got a few people. It would have gotten me if I didn't read the replies. Anyway I fugured it would work. All I do is turn it off and enable it when I use apps with heavy tearing like safari.

mouse locator? what are your setting? My pointer always blinks.

caveats:

- if enabled, when dragging windows, the windows jump.

- mouse still blinks when always activated

Nice try though :(

mouse locator? what are your setting? My pointer always blinks.

caveats:

- if enabled, when dragging windows, the windows jump.

- mouse still blinks when always activated

Nice try though :(

Here are my settings:

ACtivate mouse locator

after 1sec

display=infinite

shortcut=F1

then just rename the mouselocator_shadow.png into mouselocator.png and copy/replace it to ur (home) images directory

no more blink under safari and desktop just rocks : a little smooth effect like under XP, but nothing when u scroll under pages

This problem happens on a asus a9250 that uses the radeon 9250 engine 256mb ddr ? or no

Mouse Locator works great for me Thanx :blink:

I would like to know if there is a way to remove/turn off the os x icon?

so i don't see all the little lines after exiting opengl apps.

and I have a little problem with games, quake 4 and quake 2 work just fine

but when I try to run doom 3 or quake 3 It tells me that it cant find opengl

I'm running a P4 2.8 with 2GB ram ATI 9550 256MB OS x 10.4.6

• 2 weeks later...

I feel really stupid, I'm very new to the Mac OS. I have the horrible tearing effects with my ati radion x700 graphics card and installed mousepose to try and fix it. When I try to open mousepose, i get a window that tells me it cannont connect to the internet to download the latest updats, and it seems to me that mousepose never opens. I have not yet solved my ethernet driver problem so i cant use the internet. I cant edit any setting in mousepose because i dont think i ever opened it. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I want to share my experience with you guys....

I downloaded and played with a game named Tribal Trouble and i was getting the mouse tearing problem...

When i disabled the Hardware Cursor, the mouse tearing went away... and it was perfect: no artifacts nor pointer flickering.

So the problem is that in osx the pointer is Hardware accelerated...

In fact, if you erase the ati kext and go with basic VESA mode, the pointer is perfect.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to disable the acceleration for the mouse pointer...

I'm pretty sure I can do this.

I'll do research and post here any development.

See you.

Maybe this thread is getting to old, so many of you don't know the facts:

The mouse tearing IS a problem of the hardware accelerated mouse cursor. And of course: VESA-driven cards have no artifacts.

And: currently there's no way to disable the hardware accelerated mouse driver. A solution would be a small extension that hides the pointer while scrolling using the scroll wheel. This would minimize the mouse tearing a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

So, is there allready a better solution then using external apps like MousePose or MouseLocater etc? (without buying x1600)

Is there a solution by just changing a kext or remove something...?

I'm using a Radeon X700 and have it all running (QE, multi res etc) except that i'm having ANNOYING mouse artifacts.

What is the trick!?

Here is yet another way to improve the mouse tearing; I personally don't like the adverse open gl performance I get with Mousepose and the like when activated. So here's what I did. Install USB Overdrive, this is shareware but it works 100% without registration, it's available at USBOverdrive.com. Restart the computer. Next go into the USB Overdrive System Preference pane, create a new setting and select your browser application. Now change the Wheel Up setting, select keystroke in the pull down menu and change the keystroke to up(using the up arrow). Do the same for Wheel Down using the down arrow. You should have less mouse tearing when you scroll as it is actually just sending the down arrow key everytime you scroll down. If you like to scroll a little faster you can change the Wheel Up & Down to Page Up & Down.

Hi, anyone notice that after quitting some games, eg SimCity 4, the cursor disappear and change into horizontal line. Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Thanks

No, not really but it has nothing to do with mousepose or the other tools. You can use PinPoint to keep your pointer but you will still see the lines. Also like any other overlayer, PinPoint won't change the cursor for example if you enter some text.

But it is a nice tool if you want to see your pointer. In the settings o PinPoint, select shadow and adjust position and opacity. then you will get an osx pointer.

• 1 month later...
Hi, anyone notice that after quitting some games, eg SimCity 4, the cursor disappear and change into horizontal line. Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Thanks

i have the same problem also, happens when i play keynote slides. the pointer gone and theres a horizontal line (like artifact). I have to log off to solve that problem..

anybody can help us ?