[HowTo] Turn mouse tearing OFF :)

xtraa

89 posts in this topic

What is making the mouse to tear, how did Apple managed to fix this issue, there must be something wrong with the driver, maybe time is ower only friend... Maybe 10.4.6 will fix this issue, who knows..

Because we don't have ATI NDRV driver. NDRV driver manage framebuffer, hardware cursor, resolutions, color profiles, etc. NDRV is main video driver. ATINDRV.kext loads only on native Mac (it have some verifications inside).

So we have only VESA "ndrv driver" with OpenGL acceleration. It have no support for hardware cursor, resolutions, color profiles, etc.

If anyone "hack" ATINDRV.kext we will have full support without mouse tearing. Or ATI release good drivers (x86) for us.

Ohh, a driver is kinda hard to develop. The Macvdia guys can't manage to make a working driver (it passed over half a year now) so it is the same thing with ati. But the fixes are smaller for the Ati drivers than Nvidia.

So ehh, do it your self is kinda hard. I hope we have some passionate developers in our community to fix this issue.

Thanks xtraa for all the helpful posts, I don't have mouse tearing or artefacts but if I get an ati card and end up with any I have this bookmarked, right now I have a geforce with no drivers like so many others around here.

off topic a little , but i don't think it is wise for the computer industry to be always apropriating names for things rather than just inventing their own, first it was icons and now artefacts and I'm guessing there were probably many others inbetween. With google and other search engines being increasingly employed for scholarly research everyones things needs it's own name, not borrowing or stealing something elses name.

I yust bought an Apple Imac Intel Core Duo 20" (after seeing no escape from the tearing {censored}). I can confirm thaht i have no TEARING whatsoever and that my mouse pointer has a shadow underneath! After quitting OpelnGL games there is no pointer deformation....

• 2 weeks later...

Now for a bone-headed question...

I cannot find "Startobjects" or the other items listed below in "Users" in "System Preferences". Am I missing something?

Next, go to your OSX Users settings in the System Preferences.

1. click on Startobjects

2. click the plus, navigate to the Extras>Speakable Items folder you copied from the install image

3. select "Show Mouse" and click on add

I cannot find "Startobjects" or the other items listed below in "Users" in "System Preferences". Am I missing something?

I think this is what the poster means...

Accessibility features with Mouseposé

A major benefit of Mouseposé is it’s usefulness as an accessibility tool, allowing people with disabilities to use the spotlight feature to find and follow the mouse pointer anywhere on the screen.

You can also use Mouseposé with OS X’s Speech controls (now called _Voiceover_ commands in Tiger). You have to activate Speech using the Speech preference pane: Apple > System Preferences > Speech, then select the Speech Recognition tab, making sure the Apple Speakable Items is “On”. Click on “Open Speakable Items Folder” and copy the Scripts in “Speakable Items” in the Mouseposé Disk Image into the Speakable Items Folder.

The default command for activating Mouseposé is to speak “Show Mouse” and for deactivating it is to speak “Stop Showing Mouse”. If you want to change the speech commands you can simply rename the scripts to what you’d like to say out loud.

System Preferences -> Users -> Login Items

This did xtraa mean to "Startopbjects"

Tested and working,

Thanks xtraa

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would let you all know... new program out there called Mouse Locator. as far as i can tell, does what Mousepose does, only FREE!

and... you can pick custom images for it... you see. also, it is implemented as a system preference pane. rather than an application (its universal BTW).

Download Mouse Locator

then..

1. install.

2. grab this .zip of images..

MouseLocator_images.zip

3. The MouseLocator-Blank.png is just a completely transparent png. the MouseLocator-ShadowMouse.png is an attempt to make things look a little better (Cursor Shadow). ShadowMouse has some funny side-effects, try it, you will see..

4. rename one of the MouseLocator png's to MouseLocator.png ...simply place it on your Pictures folder in your Home folder.

5. go to system prefs, turn on "Activate Mouse Locator" in the mouse locator pref pane.

also turn on "Always On"

this has worked much better for me than mousepose did...

use the *Blank.png for a mousepose type results.

good luck.

EDIT: fixed images archive... oops.

Thanks RadioisDead. I like your fix better than the mousepose. With Mouse Locator, the cursor seems to blink a little less than the mousepose fix, which drove me nuts. Don't get me wrong, the cursor still blinks, but not as much imho.

RadioisDead it just rocks! the mouse doesnt blink anymore and the shadow effect is like on real mac :) thanx than than

btws Shimmss what is those ATIdrivers? they r sources for what? wont change a thing. MOUse tearing is due to the lack of ATINDRV

I yust bought an Apple Imac Intel Core Duo 20" (after seeing no escape from the tearing {censored}). I can confirm thaht i have no TEARING whatsoever and that my mouse pointer has a shadow underneath! After quitting OpelnGL games there is no pointer deformation....

Well of course you wouldnt see any mouse issues - the issues are specific to OSX86 and Ati cards not kosher Intel Macs! Duh! :( :(

Wow, the mouse locator trick has fixed all my mouse tearing, best results with the shadowed png (I will modify it to have less shadow). I also recommend to disable soft scroll in the apearance preferences. Simple workaround, great work!

Thanks RadioIsDead

The results are curious:

- If use the shadow cursor, it looks fine, but it overlappes the system mouse cursor. In Word or any text processor it looks hillarious, but have a big advantage. When you finish a fullscreen 3D application (like Keynote), you will have a cursor over the dotted horisontal line and can easy to restart the computer by a system command.

But I chose the blank.png, cuz I cannot see 2 overlapped cursors in Word, Excel or other applications where the original cursor is modified.