Ten reasons you should get Vista.

siddharth

203 posts in this topic

Congratulations for publicly admitting that you broke Copyright laws :)

Welcome to an OSX86 Site ;)

Could you please be less vague? Charging people for what, the original song, the ringtone or both?

Well, Apple really should have made a tool where you select 30 seconds of any song and boom! Ringtone. I understand that a ringtone is a whole different copyright realm than music though, so I'm not dissapointed in Apple.

Apple really should have made a tool where you select 30 seconds of any song and boom!

Technically they did, and it costs 99 cents per song to use it :)

I understand that a ringtone is a whole different copyright realm than music

There are no copyrights for ringtones as long as you already own the song. It falls under fair use practice. What is odd is that Apple won't provide a way for people to make ringtones out of their OWN songs from Garageband (for example). There are other companies that do this, but Apple really should also provide a way. After all, Garageband IS their program. They should also provide a way for people to make ringtones from their own CD's (also fair use). Having said that it's not an issue for me. I have yet to buy a phone that didn't have some way of alerting me that a call was waiting for me to answer. Ringtones are therefore completely voluntary, and if people want to make an industry out of them then naturally there will be those who will find a way to make money at it. Those that use them shouldn't whine unless it's about being forced to pay twice for a song that they already own ;)