Mac Pro and FCS 2

panos_stealth

7 posts in this topic

Hello everybody (good morning Europe) (good evening usa)

I just purchased my Mac Pro@2,66 (Quad) and installed extra 4gb of ram, and the ATI X1900 XT

I have 4*250 hd sata 2

I also installed an extra superdrive

Do you think that all applications of FCS 2 (especially Motion and Color ) will be fast enough???

I am also planning to install AE cs3 so i want your oppinion for this too (regarding the MAC Pro horsepower)

The 3.0 Ghz quad (2*dual core ) was too expensive for me so i decided to "lower" my financial....configuration :)

Your help is much appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased my Mac Pro@2,66 (Quad) and installed extra 4gb of ram, and the ATI X1900 XT

I have 4*250 hd sata 2

Do you think that all applications of FCS 2 (especially Motion and Color ) will be fast enough???

I am also planning to install AE cs3 so i want your oppinion for this too (regarding the MAC Pro horsepower)

The 3.0 Ghz quad (2*dual core ) was too expensive for me so i decided to "lower" my financial....configuration ;)

Thanks in advance

Our Mac Pros are about the same (I'm using 4*500gb drives). FCS2 is plenty fast. My advice would always be to have separate capture and scratch disks, separate from your system disk. Looking forward to Adobe's Production Studio Premium in July.

Well, just to give you an idea of what to expect from AE CS3. On my humble hack (specs in the sig), rendering a 5 second clip of a complex particle explosion in HD takes about 30 minutes - which is actually quite good. I suppose you can divide that time by 2-3 on your MacPro.

If you care, it would be nice to let us know how it really performs on AE. At least speaking for myself, my next machine will very likely be a Mac Pro once the prices simmer down a bit on the eastern side of the Atlantic.

Well, just to give you an idea of what to expect from AE CS3. On my humble hack (specs in the sig), rendering a 5 second clip of a complex particle explosion in HD takes about 30 minutes - which is actually quite good. I suppose you can divide that time by 2-3 on your MacPro.

If you care, it would be nice to let us know how it really performs on AE. At least speaking for myself, my next machine will very likely be a Mac Pro once the prices simmer down a bit on the eastern side of the Atlantic.

Hi Solaar, When I get the Production Premium CS3 package, I'll do comparisons of the same clips via my MacPro and my Hackintosh. I notice in your specs that we have the same video card. Have you ever tried to get dual dvi working? I get dvi on one but have to use vga adapter to get the second monitor.

Hi Solaar, When I get the Production Premium CS3 package, I'll do comparisons of the same clips via my MacPro and my Hackintosh. I notice in your specs that we have the same video card. Have you ever tried to get dual dvi working? I get dvi on one but have to use vga adapter to get the second monitor.

Hi BJ, no I haven't tried dual DVI yet as my second monitor is VGA only. I once installed Natit - which is supposed to be the only driver that supports dual display (really?) - but it made my setup crash really badly, so I gave up and switched back to Titan only.

Cheers for doing the comparisons.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 4*250 hd sata 2

The 3.0 Ghz quad (2*dual core ) was too expensive for me so i decided to "lower" my financial....configuration :D

Thanks in advance

With the price tag on that specs, FCS 2 will be sailing smoothly.