Boot Camp Won't Open, Error Message...

Mitch2742

1 post in this topic

Yesterday, I created a 32 GB partition using Boot Camp so I could install Leopard (using a DL DVD) without wiping out my hard-drive. This method worked flawlessly, however, I decided that after testing out Leopard for a few minutes I would just wait for the final version so I wouldn't have to have two operating systems on my Mac. I went to open up Boot Camp, and I got the error message:

"The Startup Disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

The startup disk must be formatted as a single MAC OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows"

Well, I did Google searches and saw a lot of people had the same problem, and had to wipe out their entire hard-drive to fix it. I did not want to do this, so I stalled. Then, this morning I was about to order an external hard-drive so I could back up all my files and wipe out my entire Macbook--but I decided to give it one more shot.

What I did to solve the problem:

Opened disk utility (I booted up with the Tiger install disk to run this app), clicked on the partition I wanted to erase, selected "erase," but INSTEAD OF LEAVING MAC OS EXTENDED (JOURNALED) on the drop-down box, I chose MS-DOS for the hell of it. I hit erase, and then restarted my Macbook and FINALLY, Boot Camp would open and it let me choose "Restore disk to single partition" It restored my hard drive to a single disk and I did not lose any files (well, except for what was on the partition I removed obviously).

Hope this helps some of you!