9a466 with single layer DVD ?

carmelo42

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

Is it possible to burn the 9a466 DMG ( 6.06 Gb ) to a single layer DVD ?

How can I do this please ?

Thanks !

It is possible to remove the developer tools and make it fit into a single layer DVD, but every attempt I made with previous builds ended up with an unbootable DVD so I gave up and don't even remember how it's done.

You should still be able to find those old posts...

[found at the pirate bay]

How to install Leopard with only single layer DVD media

OK, I have just created a bootable copy of the Leopard install DVD using the following method:

1. Open the Leopard installation DVD using Disk Utility.

2. Using the Disk Utility, create a new dual layer (8.5GB) sparse image called leopard (actual filename will be leopard.sparseimage) and mount it.

3. Restore the Leopard installation DVD to the mounted leopard.sparseimage (not the image file.)

4. Open the mounted leopard.sparseimage with Finder, and delete the XCodeTools directory.

5. Unmount the mounted leopard.sparseimage.

6. Using the Disk Utility, create a new single layer (4.4GB) spare image called boot (actual filename will be boot.sparseimage) and mount it.

7. Restore the leopard.sparseimage image file to the mounted boot.sparseimage (not the image file.)

8. Unmount the mounted boot.sparseimage.

9. Burn the boot.sparseimage to your single layer DVD media.

Booting from this DVD works, but takes a long time.

OK, I have just created a bootable copy of the Leopard install DVD using the following method:

2. Using the Disk Utility, create a new dual layer (8.5GB) sparse image called leopard (actual filename will be leopard.sparseimage) and mount it.

3. Restore the Leopard installation DVD to the mounted leopard.sparseimage (not the image file.)

4. Open the mounted leopard.sparseimage with Finder, and delete the XCodeTools directory.

6. Using the Disk Utility, create a new single layer (4.4GB) spare image called boot (actual filename will be boot.sparseimage) and mount it.

7. Restore the leopard.sparseimage image file to the mounted boot.sparseimage (not the image file.)

This actually actually doesn't work this time around. If you do this, you may need to delete some of the printer drivers in /system/Installer/packages on the disk, along with XCodeTools. (Don't forget to unchek everything you delete when yau get to the installer)

This actually actually doesn't work this time around. If you do this, you may need to delete some of the printer drivers in /system/Installer/ on the disk, along with XCodeTools.

I tried that, it doesn't work to pull anything from the DMG file. It doesn't let you do it.

Check the other installing thread that I started... I have the way I did it. I even went out and bought a DL-DVD burner.. and it didn't work right. The best way is to mount it to a external HD, then reboot from that drive and install from there.

Like I said, read the thread I started on how to install. :hysterical:

sorry if this is considered hijacking a thread, but will this work with 9a410 with a dvd-r disc and if it does how long has it took you?

sorry if this is considered hijacking a thread, but will this work with 9a410 with a dvd-r disc and if it does how long has it took you?

This worked in all releases. With this release you have to take a bit more than just the XCode(Printer drivers or unneeded languages), as I said in a previous post. The creation process takes about an hour (most of which is waiting) and then the installer takes about 20min to start up(the process of making it SL makes the disk inefficient) and then the installer takes around an hour.

man, i've been trying to do this method as well as installing off of my iPod.. Neither work.

When installing from the ipod the install just hangs and beachballs...

Trying this method disk util just gives me crazy errors over and over that the resource is busy or file not found. I can't get anything to work. Its driving me nuts!

I deleted Xcode tools and all of printer drivers, and burned it.

but this DVD is not bootable disc. I can select Mac OS X 10.5 on boot disc in preferense, but dosen't boot from this disc.

all the time, Mac OS on HDD start up.

does anyone know how boot from this DVD?

I have installed OS X 10.5 using my 30GB iPod Video. I used the disk utility to 'retore' the Leopard image on my iPod (this will erase all files wich are currently present on your iPod!). After restoring the image I booted the image from my iPod. It all worked pretty good. The install was suprisingly fast.

I tried this, and the disc boots on my mini..sort of... it's very slow like 30 minute slow. It gets past the Apple logo and spinning wheel thing. And for a second I see the blue installer background, then the screen goes dark gray and I get the spinning beachball. After a while the beachball turns into a standard pointer. I can move around and disc activity slows to nothing. Key presses cause the disc to spin up again. It's like I'm in the installer, but nothing is being displayed at all.

Any ideas?

Yeah, sorry I left that out. I removed Xcode along with all foriegn languages and printer drivers. Could it have to do with the missing languages since the first thing the installer does is have you choose your default language? I may try a new disc, but at this point it's academic. I want to know how to make this work cause I'd like to make some 'live' dvd's of sorts.

But I'll probably break down and just get some DL media.

WORK FINES ! slow to boot but work, ive just made my own custom single layer dvd with a patched osinstall.mpkg and i can install it on any mac. Sucessfully installed on a g4 733 and really stable don't know why apple want to gettin rid of this computer.

what exactly did you do to get it to work?

I havent done it yet.

But i think:

- Boot from Install-DVD

- Open a terminal extract the osinstall.mpgk

- Edit the 800MHz restriction

- Comress the package again

- Build a new Install-DVD

There you go... i think :rolleyes:

Rgds.

• 2 weeks later...
I havent done it yet.

But i think:

- Boot from Install-DVD

- Open a terminal extract the osinstall.mpgk

- Edit the 800MHz restriction

- Comress the package again

- Build a new Install-DVD

There you go... i think :StarTrek:

Rgds.

This won't work if you boot from the DVD.

In fact, just do what is said about modifying the 800MHz restriction at the same moment as deleting XCode and printers drivers from the Install DVD.

This won't work if you boot from the DVD.

In fact, just do what is said about modifying the 800MHz restriction at the same moment as deleting XCode and printers drivers from the Install DVD.

You need to boot from the DVD because of the kernel implementation of xar!!!

Thats what i meant.

Rgds.