PowerBook for Christmas

8 posts in this topic

So I finally put my money aside for a PowerBook 15", well almost ;)

Well, I'm currently writing my list of wishes for Santa and I'm between to chairs now.

Buy one now/early January with a PPC cpu or wait a little (more) for the first x86 PowerBooks? :| The reports about Yonah are quite impressive to me so I'd like to buy one of those...

What do you think, will Apple release x86 PowerBooks soon? One thing that worries me about a possible delay is that they've just put out the new PowerBooks (with better resolution and stuff).

Your opinions are welcome :)

Well, given how close MWSF is, I think it is worth waiting a wee while just in case. I personally rather doubt new Powerbooks and think if anything new comes out it'll be a mini or something, but you never know. Either way you're probably safe-pricewise since they were just revamped.

Yeah, I'll probably wait until mid-February or somewhat, my birthday taking place on Jan 27th, teehee. ;) We'll see.

What do you think about current Powerbooks' obsolescence? I could after all sell it when the x86 model comes out...but if I were me I wouldn't buy a PPC Mac then :)

Edited by rata911

I just couldnt wait - i bought one now and lovin it. 15" with 2 gigs and the 7200 rpm drive.

It does what I need to do - of course they will come out with updated ones next year, but apps i needs are here today in PPC format and not universal binaries.

When they go universal I can still run them - so just do it. ;-)

I highly doubt youll see a PB in Jan - maybe an Ibook, for me it just wasnt worth waiting when I could be enjoying a portable mac today, not 3-4 months from now.

U should buy it if you need it straight away for work reasons, but seeing it's getting closed to the holiday seasons, that sounds unlikely.

Should definitley wait until MWSF, but most likely there will not be an intel mac until June. So prepare to be disappointed.

it's very highly unlikely that there will be any intel-based macs in the stores until next summer, however there will probably be a demo of a new intel-based ibook or mini in january. Steve will just tell everyone that it's amazing, it's working now ("look, I'm running this keynote presentation on it!"), and that mass production will begin in late spring and we'll see them in the stores by summer 2006.

I'm making educated guesses here, but if I'm right (read my opinion (yes, opinion, don't blame me if it's wrong) at http://macx86.co.uk) then the "big" macs like powerbooks and imacs won't be available as intel versions to the public for a good year.

For one thing, adobe, macromedia, the 3d software crowd, and the music software crowd all have to release reliable unibins of their apps before the power users will bother with intel-inside macs. The email/web/iphoto/itunes bunch however will be happy with the apps that come with their ibook and mini, so an intel-inside version of those macs will be the first to appear.

Just my opinions here folks, but I've watched apple and been close with previous apple staff for decades so am basing these opinions on the history of how steve releases new products. He'll demo an intel mac in january, but you won't find it at future shop or staples until summer.

DBK

Edited by dkelley

I think it depends how fast the Intel powerbooks would be. If they are fast enough to run apps through Rosetta at the same speed as a previous gen Mac then it would be possible. If they are really going to be dual core that's a big improvement as well.