10.4.10 Upgrade Sucessful

josh256

305 posts in this topic

Recommend you don't try this if you aren't very comfortable working with kexts..

*EDIT:

There are now Intel and AMD upgrade packages available in the usual places*

Some have reported problems w/ the new graphics drivers,

I was okay w/ my PCI-e 512MB 7950 GT OC as well as an AGP 256MB 7800 GS OC but was not okay w/ my PCI-e 256MB 6800 GT OC

If you're comfortable booting single user mode and copying kexts you have nothing to loose trying the new drivers

*UPDATED with CLI*

Manual upgrade steps:

================ BASIC PROCEDURE ================

BACKUP (kernel and Extensions):

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9

sudo cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.jun07

RUN UPGRADE:

do not reboot when prompted

RESTORE (kernel and a couple Extensions):

sudo cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.10.4.10

sudo cp /mach_kernel.jun07 /mach_kernel

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.10

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/AppleACPIplatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions

(see other kext restores below, cross fingers, reboot)

=============== System.kext (to open .DMGs, etc): ===============

If you are not going to upgrade to the 8.10.X kernel (System.kext version must match kernel version):

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/System.kext /System/Library/Extensions

When you upgrade to the latest kernel restore the 10.4.10 System.kext

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.10/System.kext /System/Library/Extensions

=============== Other kexts: ===============

Examples of other kexts that some may want to restore later on (if originally modified or if you experience problems with SMB, IDE, etc):

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/IOATAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/AppleAPIC.kext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/IOUSBFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions <-- if you use PCGenEHCI

=============== NVidia: ===============

Restoring previous NVidia drivers (If you experience problems w/ the 10.4.10 drivers)

(recover console using boot option -s for single user mode, then "mount -uw /" as instructed):

1) nuke Extensions cache

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) nuke 10.4.10 video drivers (these are backed up)

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOGraphicsFamily.kext <-- this was necessary for my 6800 GT OC

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/Geforce*

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*

3) restore 10.4.9 video drivers

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/IOGraphicsFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/Geforce* /System/Library/Extensions

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.10.4.9/NVDA* /System/Library/Extensions

ATI:

Same as above except using ATIRadeon* in place of Geforece*/NVDA*

(you can be more specific.. example: ATIRadeon9700*, ATIRadeonX1000*)

Original Post:

1) Rsync your drive so you can always roll back 100% (or restore any individual files/kexts later)..

or

2a) If you skip Step 1 backup /mach_kernel and the following files in /System/Library/Extensions

loginwindow.app (likely not necessary if you didn't install the patch)

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleACPIplatform.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

system.kext

2b) Also backup any manually modified kexts (eg. ATI/NV/HDA/IONetworking/etc)

*EDIT: If skipping step 1 and you're unsure of your system compatibility/kexts back up the entire folder*

3) run the upgrade don't reboot

4) backup the new /mach_kernel and restore the original (from step 2)

5) restore the kexts (from step 2) and reboot

Just to add.. also backup any older kexts that you needed to use. For instance I have to use the 10.4.8 NV kexts... don't expect the 10.4.10 versions to work if the 10.4.9 ones didn't.

All in all this is a smooth upgrade with very little issue as long as you back up extensions and mach_kernel

Does anyone forsee any issues running only the 8.9.1 kernel still? Good little guide though, looks like it should cover most eventualities. Looks like they haven't touched any aspects of the things that usually cause problems (USB pretty much always works ok from what I've seen) so as long as the kexts and kernel are restored, it should be business as usual, or other than the kernel, just a case of re-modifying the files.

A modified 8.9.4 kernel (the one from the MBP 10.4.9 variant) is supposedly on the way. Presumably 10.4.10 is using an 8.9.10 kernel?!

Means I'll have to strip out my Extensions directory again...

Can someone check if they've added any specific ICH8 or ICH8R support?

Thanks for taking a look at the kexts Josh. I hadn't been able to mess around with them yet after throwing in my 10.4.9 extensions after the update to 10.4.10. I can confirm that this list works like a charm. With a few exceptions as I stated above. (if you couldn't use the 10.4.9 versions DON'T use the 10.4.10 versions.)

Yeah.. funny you mention that. I am running the ported EHCI driver PcGenEHCI2.6.4a for USB2 support on my 975X system. My 925 and 945 systems upgraded fine (since they were supported chipsets to begin with) but I did have to roll IOUSBFamily.kext back to my patched 10.4.9 version on the 975X system.

Like any other system update, any kexts you've touched will most likely need to be restored afterwards. Still, I say always RSync the drive before major/system updates (so you can revert 100%) and then backup the Extensions folder systematically..

Regarding backups: Lately I've been using Simple RsyncX which is a basic GUI front end to RsyncX.. illustration below shows how to make a snapshot of your drive... If you don't want to use a second drive (eg. don't want a bootable copy) you can drag any folder into the destination instead..

Just updated to 10.4.10 (w/o 8.10 kernel) as well. Only major things to replace was SMBIOS and HDA for my system, installed all other kexts and its working smooth. Only have to drop in the new kernel when its out.

that's an old problem... in the past System.kext needed to be paired up w/ the correct kernel. EG 10.4.8 System.kext + 8.8.1 kernel, 10.4.9 System.kext + 8.9.1 kernel.

I can't comment on the new kext as I restored my 10.4.9 version before rebooting but dmgs are opening fine for me

Whoohoo ;)

It is working perfectly. The only thing kinda dissapointing was that, before I installed the upgrade, my uptime was 21 days, and now I have to do it over... :P

Anyways, when I applied the update, restored the KEXTs, and rebooted, it rebooted itself for one time, and then boots into the well known environment. Thanks for your guide!

@ariadri - I don't have that problem when installing without backup

I'm having some fairly major problems. I'm running one of the osx86.hu SSE3 8.9.1 kernels and after upgrading to 10.4.10 I now get an "Unable to find ACPI driver for this system" (or words to that effect - same error you get trying to boot OSx86 on a normal Mac). And then a kernel panic.

If I use the -x safe-mode switch then it does boot but xgrid goes into an infinite loop and siezes the system. I shifted the loader for that elsewhere so it couldn't find it when booting, and I now get into the OS ok, so there's nothing too majorly broken. Other than the fact that I now don't have any audio (can't imagine that being too hard to fix).

I've recycled all the appropriate kexts, anyone got any ideas about the kernel/ACPI issue?

I'll try using a few of the 10.4.10 kexts and see if that helps at all.

Hi all,

After installing 10.4.10 keeping my NetKas 8.9.1 kernel and the extensions (AppleAPIC.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, System.kext, AppleSMBios.kext). My system still won't boot!

Everything seems to work fine till the moment that it tries to load the video-driver (I use Natit 0.2 Dual), then I get many different artifacts in both normal and verbose mode (see attached photo's).

Has this todo with the updated NVidia drivers which where supplied by the Apple 10.4.10 update?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kasper

My System:

Intel Core2Duo E6600

NVidia GeForce 7900GS - 256MB - PCI-e

Intel D975XBX2 (Intel Bad-Axe 2)

post-85980-1182426760_thumb.jpg post-85980-1182426962_thumb.jpg post-85980-1182426925_thumb.jpg

If your card doesn't like the 10.4.10 NVidia kexts (v 4.5.6) then roll them back to 10.4.9's (4.5.2)...

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$ kextstat | grep nv40

70 0 0x47e9c000 0x1ae000 0x1ad000 com.apple.nvidia.nv40hal (4.5.6) <69 16 11>

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$ kextstat | grep NVD

69 2 0x3b4ec000 0x1fc000 0x1fb000 com.apple.NVDAResman (4.5.6) <68 67 16 11 5 4 3 2>

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$ kextstat | grep GeF

81 0 0x3b735000 0x52000 0x51000 com.apple.GeForce (4.5.6) <69 68 67 16 11 5 4 3 2>

joshuas-computer:~ Joshua$

It's just like Linux, Unix, etc... drivers and applications for the most part track independtly from the kernel. Notably all my 10.4.10 kernel extensions load just fine on the 10.4.9 kernel.

You can rightclick the update dmg's .pkg file and see all the files by expanding the included archive gz... update is 99% application and kext updates.

That said, if Parallel's was to release a version that required 10.4.10 or later then it would be *possible* that they required the latest kernel... but even then it could just be kext dependencies.. and like I said, they're loading fine for me on the latest Netkas 8.9.1 SSE3 release.

Lemme ask a stupid question. What's the point of installing the update if you are then overlaying with and older kernel?

The update isn't just a new kernel. It has security updates, something about RAW image support, etc... :D

The update isn't just a new kernel. It has security updates, something about RAW image support, etc... :thumbsdown_anim:

Which was exactly my point. One would presume that the update was an entire package (drivers, apps, kernel). Just because the kernel extensions are loading with the older kernel doesn't necessarily indicate that they will work properly.

Although I like to keep my system up-to-date, I'm going to wait until there is a 8.10.1 kernel.

Actually the kexts should work w/ most kernels because the kexts are device centric (video, usb, etc)... that said, a power management kext is a good example of a kext that *would* have some greater degree of kernel dependencies. So if a kext fails the majority of cases will be device/chipset related, not kernel.

At any rate, the Jas 10.4.9 update included a 10.4.8 kernel and was very well received. Likely we will see the same thing w/ 10.4.10: numerous update packages, all with 10.4.9 kernels and a 10.4.10 kernel released independently.

Lastly, if you look at the Linux and Unix communities it is very common to have staggered schedules for kernel upgrades.