ALPS Glidepad beta driver

phb

196 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is the wrong subforum, but I was wondering if anyone got this working on Leopard. It seems like the beta was fairly functional and just needed different defaults, but I can't even try it as the link on page 4 is down. Could someone PM me with a copy? I would be most grateful as I use some manner of an ALPS Glidepad on my Tosh Tecra M7.

I haven't had much time to look into getting tap dragging working correctly with this driver and a synaptics trackpad. However this site has info on what all the different items in the preference file mean.

http://www.koders.com/cpp/fidA9C3A7B418903...2546C4DFD8.aspx

If I manage to get tap dragging working on my laptop I will post the settings I used here.

• 5 months later...

It works on my Toshiba Satellite notebook, but my settings vary from the suggestions outlined in this thread. It jumps a little, but once you get used to it you can avoid it and overall it works wonderfully. I believe I have an ALPS trackpad so if anyone wants the settings I used let me know.

Oh, and I'm using 10.5.1

• 3 weeks later...

i got this driver working on my hp pavillion dv2637tx with alps trackpad, running 10.5.2, install went fine, but my pointer was extremely slow, even with the setting on 100% in keyboard and mouse settings.

I spent 4 hours or so playing with the kext settings, then discovered that the synaptics settings in the kext actually control my alps trackpad, and not the alps settings. I definetely have an alps pad, as i downgraded to xp, and had to go hunting for the drivers, including the alps pad, which is listed on the hp site.

So i reduced the speedscale setting to 250, and its working very well. I also changed the zacceptstheshhold to 70, which allows me to two-finger scroll in all directions, and also with one finger after i trigger scrolling with two fingers, so its sensitive, but not clumsy.

Anyways, i thought this info may help some people.

• 1 month later...
I installed this driver on a Dell Latitude c640 with a synaptics trackpad under 10.4.9. Initially the trackpad speed was so fast that it was almost unusable and the two-finger touch was so sensitive that I had to barely brush my finger across the trackpad surface in order to get the cursor to move without "locking up".

I figured that the settings in the FFScroll preference pane might be able to solve my problem. I fiddled with the settings under the two-finger touch tab. I was able to get the mouse down to a usable speed by lowering the tracking speed in the "normal" mouse and keyboard pane.

No matter now I fiddled with the settings in the FFScroll pane was I able to get the cursor to track a comfortable pace or get the two finger scroll to work. Finally I decided to check out the preference file to see if I could edit anymore options manually. (I got this from a post earlier in this thread)

The file is located at /Users/{username}/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist

When I double clicked the file it opened in Property List Editor. Here are the settings I changed and the values I changed them to to get my trackpad to work properly and to get two-finger scrolling to work.

Property: speedScale

Value: 1600

The higher the value this is set to the "slower" the cursor moves. I suspect it just changes how osX interprets the trackpad resolution. At a value of 1600 I was able the set the tracking speed in the "normal" mouse and keyboard pane back to the halfway point.

Property: tapTolerence

Value: 1000

I'm not really sure what this property does, but it eliminated some of the problems I was having with tap clicking

Property: horizontalScrollingRate/verticalScrollingRate

Value: 70

I set both of these properties to 70 to eliminate some of the "jumping" is was seeing when lifting my fingers after two finger scrolling. The higher you set the values the slower a window will scroll when using two finger scrolling.

Property: horizontalScrollingThreshold/verticalScrollingThreshold

Value: 9

I found 9 to be a nice compromise between responsiveness and eliminating false positives. Lower values improved the responsiveness when two finger scrolling but tended to increase the false positives when I was only using one finger on the trackpad.

Property: zAcceptThreshold

Value: 130

Sometimes the trackpad would misinterpret single finger usage as two finger scrolling. This made the cursor seem to lock up. The higher you set this property the harder you have to press on the trackpad to initiate two finger scrolling. I found values lower than 130 to sometimes cause my single finger usage to start scrolling. I also found that values above 130 made it so I had to press really hard with my fingers in order for my two fingers to register as a scrolling attempt.

All other values I left at their default levels. If you need to return everything to default just delete the above file and reboot and the file will get recreated with default values.

Whenever you make any changes to the ffscroll preferences you need to restart the ffscroll daemon in order for the changes to take effect. This can be accomplished by rebooting or running the following commands in the terminal.

> sudo killall -9 FFScrollDaemon

> sudo /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon

The values I am using worked very well for my laptop and were found through trial and error. Others may find that different values work better. Hopefully this guide will help others find the values that work best for them.

The only issue I am still experiencing is double tap clicking and tap dragging. I believe that the doubleTapTolerence property will help that but I still need to experiment. I will post my results to this thread once I find out.

Great post, worked well. I have a Syn trackpad and even after changing the ''speedScale'' to the 1600 mentioned, it was still crazy. So right now I am at a whooping 5000 and it finally seems to be normal at the very lowest slider in preferences. All I can say is keep raising and raising that setting until you get it to where you like.

BTW-I am running Leopard 10.5.5, so yes it works on it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so i got this to work after some trial an error. my ffscroll prefs was not loading so i found this terminal comand

sudo /Library/StartupItems/FFScroll/FFScroll

restart that restart ffscroll and now i can adjust the settings from there. but when i restart the settings are not the same. basically until i run that terminal command it does not work is there a way i can make it so the settings will load after a restart? also can some1 tell me how to revert my settings back to default using the textedit manual way. i changed the settings in there when i couldnt get the ffscroll daemon to work but since i can now i would like to revert the plist back to default.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Patched the apple driver so it now supports the ALPS touchpad that many people reported issues with tapping not working (The one with the outcommented device ID in the ApplePS2ALPSGlidepoint.cpp

*update #1*

Updated information at

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...=5419&st=0# (post #5)

*update #2*

There is a version compiled for 10.4.1 a few posts down.

*update #3*

Edgescrolling is *NOT* working (..the way it's supposed too). Working on a fix when time permits.

*update #4*

Just skip this and scroll to the last page, thread still small enuf for that :)

Could you give me a link to the post? I can't find it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...