Official Custom Icon Thread

43 posts in this topic

Hi,

i made these two a while ago.

screenshot9ir.gif

It is good for Winamp if you still have to visit XP for some reasons. but the included png is very big, so I actually use one of them as a centered desktop image atm :D

not kidding, look:

bild12bl.th.jpg

Maybe someone find them useful :)

MacAmp.zip

Those are cool xtraa, after downloading them I noticed that they lack some details (some shapes are pixellated here and there, especially on the borders)

I made this icon on which I'll base the tutorial, I hope you'll like.

preview0nm.png

Changing the colour is very easy so that you can choose the colour you prefer without any effort.

I'll post it as soon as possible.

Edited by ralleria

I just use photoshop CS, many people use 3D apps as well as Photoshop but I'm not used to them.

Analyzing the last icon I used: a seal shape (you can find it in the photoshop shapes), the blending options (in order to give it a 3D aspect); after that I duplicated the main shape cutting half of it then I put a gradient on a mask applied on the shape

If you want to create icons like those you have to have a little knowledge of the pen tool as well as the blending options. My tutorial will be addressed to beginners, creating those icons is very simple. For me the most difficult thing is "making the tutorial"

Creating the aqua, the metal and the brushed metal interface is not difficult at all.

If you want to we can analyze them one by one.

Edited by ralleria

I just use photoshop CS, many people use 3D apps as well as Photoshop but I'm not used to them.

Analyzing the last icon I used: a seal shape (you can find it in the photoshop shapes), the blending options (in order to give it a 3D aspect); after that I duplicated the main shape cutting half of it then I put a gradient on a mask applied on the shape

If you want to create icons like those you have to have a little knowledge of the pen tool as well as the blending options. My tutorial will be addressed to beginners, creating those icons is very simple. For me the most difficult thing is "making the tutorial"

Creating the aqua, the metal and the brushed metal interface is not difficult at all.

If you want to we can analyze them one by one.

It all sounds great. Would you be willing to post the layered photoshop document to assist the learning process? If it helps you could use the note feature (or just additional lsyers) to anotate your psd file.

Either way, looking forward to the tutorial.

I'm making the tutorial but it's not finished yet.

In the meantime you can enjoy the psd file of the powerbook icon posted above by me.

If you have any question feel free to ask, I don't mind explaining what I did

I hope you'll like it. The only way to learn is to experiment changing the blending options parameters or the main shapes (editing them with the direct selection tool).

The difficult of the tutorial is that I don't know your knownledge of photoshop, so if I have to explain how to modify a simple vector shape it'll take a little bit.

Thanks for the main interest

:huh:

If you want to create the icon, you have to hide the background images, make a crop and save as .png

Then there are many apps that export from png to icns to a folder with the icon on it.

Please do not distribute this icon/psd file as if it were yours, at least put my name somewhere. :censored2:

The last thing: in general it is not advisable to create a widescreen icon (I mean an icon as a rectangle), when you convert it to icon it will look smaller. Why did I do that? Cause I use this image mainly as a background.

Tutorial_made_by_ralleria.psd.zip

Edited by ralleria

• 2 weeks later...

Generic mail icon, put everything you like in the frame.

I've also created the curved line for the text (there's a specific layer for it)

Feel free to modify it and re-post it

genericmailicon0nt.png

I'm sorry but I don't think that I'll release the tutorial, since I've read what I've written and I don't think it would be useful for you (I'm not that good at explaining things)

Feel free to ask me everything you want, through private message too

bye

Generic_Mail_icon_psd.zip

Hello all, this is my first post! After reading the thread, I made my own OSx86 Drive Icon. I must admit that I cheated, not being a Photoshop wizard. The base drive image is from http://www.iconfactory.com/ it is from a package called World Of Aqua Tiger Drives by Dave Brasgalla. That said, all I did was throw "OS" and "86" on there in two font sizes. I used Iconverter to pull out the icons in the attached file. I thought I might share them with you. I made an effort to use the correct angle of perspective when adding the new layers of text in photoshop. Other than that I just have to say that OSx86Project is the diggity-dawg :) and that I have been waiting for years to run a Macintosh OS on my PC, and thanks to all the hard work by people on here, I was able to do it! -jbjonas

OSx86drive.png

p.s. make sure to open the folder inside the .zip file. there are 2 icons inside.

OSx86_Custom_Drive_Icons.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

First post on this board and first attempt at creating an icon.

This is for the AMD users.

picture17lc.png

It is a modification of a desktop background that I came across previoulsy. I can't find it now otherwise I would attribute.

...That preview image is terrible...

amdmacicon.zip

Edited by altered7th

• 3 weeks later...

The icons in my dock ended up being custom made. I was using the icons from 'Xpack' and decided that I liked the rounded square image that the icons for the volumes in 'Xpack' used, so I pretty much copied the square minus the middle 'image' in the square and made my own. I absolutely love my new icon set, exactly what I was looking for, very uniformed.

post-21112-1139554931_thumb.png

Kevlar_Icons.zip

Well after being inspired by Kevlar, I went to http://www.iconfactory.com/cb_home.asp to finally get Candybar... So now I got rid of the cute but annoying hard drive icons that showed up on my desktop for my NTFS drives. In the process of making a new icon for them, I also remade my original OSx86 drive icon, to get rid of the Anti-Aliasing artifacts which look especially crappy on dark backgrounds.

One awesome tool I found in all my futzing around to create decent icons is CocoThumbX. It's incredibly simple, works wonderfully, and is free! All you do is drag a file (according to author "Support all Cocoa Image-formats, all supported Quicktime movies, PDF, EPS, Word DOC every text file") into it, and it gives the file a very nice icon thumbnail which you can copy wherever you want from 'get info'. It also does all other kinds of great stuff. Check it out at http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocothumbx/

I also have been using Iconverter http://www.extraneous.us to extract images and icon files from any app, folder, etc. It is great, and can also do batch converting...

Anyway, here are the two new icons I have created so I have something to distinguish my OSx86 drives from my XP NTFS drives on my desktop. Hope you can use them.

MacIcons.jpg

oh- I almost forgot, credit for the base icons I used still goes to:

World Of Aqua Tiger Drives by Dave Brasgalla, an awesome icon set I got from iconfactory. ;)

http://www.iconfactory.com/preview.asp?typ...query=brasgalla

OSx86_XPdriveicons.zip

how's the tutorial coming? i would be most grateful for something like that aimed at the absolute beginner!

I don't mean to be rudeish, but read this quote from Ralleria:

I'm sorry but I don't think that I'll release the tutorial, since I've read what I've written and I don't think it would be useful for you (I'm not that good at explaining things)

Feel free to ask me everything you want, through private message too

I don't want to be rude but posting icons made by another person modded by you is not very good....you should ask him permission to do that

Thats a good point ralleria. I will contact him, and ask permission as you said. I guess I just got caught up in the 'hacking' attitude. If you think about it, what are we all doing on this site, except talking about an OS "made by another person" and "modded" to work on our hardware. Still, you're right- I should respect the work that this gentleman put into his icons enough to ask his permission. I'm on it.