Shrink Wrap version of Leopard to compete with Vista?

foxboroman

23 posts in this topic

Everyone knows that Apple has some of the best security when it comes to controlling rumors. But, some people can piece together bits to build a reasonably guess. <mostly wrong>

So, here is mine. :rolleyes:

I think that Apple is planning to release Leopard to directly compete with Vista. Not only for Apple hardware, but for PC's users.

Why do I think that?

FACT1- osX86 was "accidentally" released w/o the copy protection

FACT2- Apple secret agents posing as "hackers" feed us distros like Jas.

FACT3- Safari for windows comes out.

FACT4- More and more hardware support keeps getting added to osX, who is writing the kernel? Does Apple benefit from us installing osX86 on our hackintosh computers? They sure do.

FACT5- Leopard is delayed until OCT. Why? Because of the iPhone, I think not!

FACT6- During a keynote, CEO Steve Jobs, pokes fun a Vista and all the different releases.

FACT7- well a rumor, MacMini is getting killed.... Well what about guys like me that switched, because MacMini was a bargain.

What does it mean?

If Apple released Leopard as a shrink wrap version, would it fly of the shelf?

Why would someone buy Vista basic when they can get 5 licenses of Leopard for the same price?

Actually, Jobs owes all of us hackintosh users a thank-you for debugging his new shrink wrap version of Leopard..... :pirate2:

What do you think? :tomato:

-Foxboroman-

PS: When responding please do start off with "Jane you ignorant {censored}..." I am just having fun here so don't flame me.

Jane you ignorant {censored}...

Hey you told me to say it. Anyway...

I don't think apple will release a version of OSX anytime soon for any PC user to own. The would have to support a massive amount of hardware and quite frankly I doubt Jobs wants to waste the time to get distracted from making his own products better. Yes it WOULD be a great alternative to Windows and I'm certain he knows it but sometimes not every business decision is about getting the most customers.

I think that there is a lot more that Apple could be doing to make sure people aren't installing OSX on their PC, but they don't because they would rather you didn't run Windows. I think they realize that a lot of people who try it on a PC eventually switch to a mac.

Of course Apple could never come out and give vocal approval, it would drastically change their business model (as selling Mac hardware) and I don't think they want to do that right now. Although I don't know if Leopard is really competing with Vista, Vista could barely compete with Tiger.

I think that Apple is planning to release Leopard to directly compete with Vista. Not only for Apple hardware, but for PC's users.

Why do I think that?

FACT7- well a rumor, MacMini is getting killed.... Well what about guys like me that switched, because MacMini was a bargain.

Well I just wanted to know how you can call the up-mentioned stuff facts as you don't have any proof of these things. They are what you say in the so-called FACT7, i.e. just rumours that you rounded up with your own as well as common theories. This is why people create all these conspiracies.

As I would love the idea of Mac OS X officially being sold for the PC users, I think this will stay a wish for quite a while... though one should never give up hope! <_<

.......it would drastically change their business model (as selling Mac hardware) and I don't think they want to do that right now. Although I don't know if Leopard is really competing with Vista, Vista could barely compete with Tiger.

Okay, what is the real margin on Mac Hardware. I think that not having to manufacture hardware and focus on software would be more profitable. Just look at Microsoft's model. Billy Gates is the richest man on earth and Microsoft produces lots of millionaires. Also, changing your business model keeps you completive. Just look at Apples shift to music and iPods. How profitable are they now? Steve knows this and is not loyal to losing profit centers. How about the iPhone? Although it's not a profit center yet, I predict that it will drive the industry (competition) to add similar products in the future... But until they can, iPhone will do very well!

Here is a good mental experiment.

Price the all the parts to build the a MacPro w/ dual quad 2.66Ghz processors. Equip it like the ones at Apple's store. Did you beat their price? If you did, pick a quiet case, not the Walmart special. :wallbash:

Lastly, I strongly agree that Vista cant compete with Tiger. :P

-Foxboroman-

........This is why people create all these conspiracies. .......

And people like me start them..... :whistle:

Nice Job!

Really? When was OS X ever released without copy protection. As I recall way back in 10.4.1 it took the efforts of Maxxuss and his successors in order to bypass EFI and TPM.

Umm wouldn't it make more sense that JaS, Maxxuss, and others and hackers who simply enjoy the challenge?

And crashes continuosly, not exactly the best way to earn brand loyalty.

FACT4- More and more hardware support keeps getting added to osX, who is writing the kernel? Does Apple benefit from us installing osX86 on our hackintosh computers? They sure do.

What hardware support is being added exactly? Efforts to get non-Apple hardware to work with OS X have taken a long time. No one could have dreamed of things like Natit when 10.4.1 was out. As far as I know the only hardware support Apple has created is for their actual hardware.

Okay...what exactly is the fact here. Apple says iPhone, you say no?

FACT6- During a keynote, CEO Steve Jobs, pokes fun a Vista and all the different releases.

Yeah and making fun of Microsoft is a new concept.

BIG HUGE RUMOR...and that is most likely all it is. If I remember this report came from Think Secret which has precognitive abilities that are similar to those displayed by the average accountant.

Apple WILL sell a shrink wrapped version of Leopard though. How else do you expect the entire installed Mac base to upgrade? Will it run on a PC, nope, least not out of the box. Apple didn't invest a ton of dough into the whole concept of a TPM chip just to toss it out the window. We won't even get into the EFI discussion.

Dream, you can, but Steve is not going to be releasing OS X for PC's. It's just not what they'd do. The 'facts' you posted aren't even completely related to this whole idea anyway - they're just ideas.

I think Apple is in a nice situation atm. They know as well as we do that they would be vulnerable to viruses etc if they gained a huge market share and had to support a huge range of hardware - after-all, that's most of the problems with windows...

Hackintoshes are nice, but I don't think it would replace my Powerbook.

With an Apple computer, you are guaranteed 100% compatibility out of the box - no OS can offer that

Jane you ignorant {censored}... :)

FACT1 - It did have copy protection, thus why the kernel had to be hacked! :) Though the leak was fishy to me

FACT2 - Unlike errandwolfe's response, I think this MIGHT be true, not fact right now. To convenient for all this to fall together.

FACT3 - I kind of agree.

errandwolfe - Your machine must be having issues, I have been using Safari 3 at work since it came out and it is ROCK SOLID.

FACT4 - Maybe. I think you have a point, small one, that more stuff is coming like Nvidia hardware and such. Maybe Apple is trying to expand.

FACT5 - I think it is because they want to make MS sweat, not iPhone. I agree. I mean we see the delays and Leopard keeps getting better.

FACT6 - I think they are doing this due to Vista sucking so bad and they are going to release a superior OS. Nothing more.

FACT7 - Rumor, but I HOPE AND PRAY it comes true. An upgradable Mac that is cheap is what I need. If this was real, maybe.

errandwolfe, your attitude is pathetic. You assume that since you have issues with Safari it is {censored} (like I said using it still here and rock solid, typing in it now), and your holier than though attitude is lame. Calm down, the guy said he was just having fun.

FACT3 - I kind of agree.

errandwolfe - Your machine must be having issues, I have been using Safari 3 at work since it came out and it is ROCK SOLID.

errandwolfe, your attitude is pathetic. You assume that since you have issues with Safari it is {censored} (like I said using it still here and rock solid, typing in it now), and your holier than though attitude is lame. Calm down, the guy said he was just having fun.

Umm maybe I should have been clearer on my statement...Safari 3 for WINDOWS seems to be having a lot of problems. I was not referring the the OS X version. Not having personally tried either, maybe I am wrong, but every review I have come across for the WINDOWS version of Safari is not good. It really sounds like Apple was in a huge rush to push this out the door for some reason. I have no doubt that given a little more development time it will probably come close if not equal to its OS X counterpart.

Strike that, I was clear, I was specifically addressing the Windows version. Maybe it is running great for you on your Windows machine, but most of the articles I have read on it say it is not very stable yet. Personally even on my Mac I use Firefox, so haven't busted any doors down to test this, was just going on what I have read.

.....taking deep calming breaths....

Everyone knows that Apple has some of the best security when it comes to controlling rumors. But, some people can piece together bits to build a reasonably guess. <mostly wrong>

So, here is mine. :)

Why do I think that?

What does it mean?

If Apple released Leopard as a shrink wrap version, would it fly of the shelf?

Why would someone buy Vista basic when they can get 5 licenses of Leopard for the same price?

Actually, Jobs owes all of us hackintosh users a thank-you for debugging his new shrink wrap version of Leopard..... :unsure:

What do you think? :wacko:

-Foxboroman-

PS: When responding please do start off with "Jane you ignorant {censored}..." I am just having fun here so don't flame me.

"Jane you ignorant {censored}"

You know what, maybe you are right in some of the facts, if we follow all the latest moves made by Apple you must think that something is going on, look at the market, right now Apple controls music (iPod and iTunes) is trying to do the same with movies (AppleTv and iTunes) the mobile phone market is next, in 2005 they adopted the Intel architecture and they are expanding their software in the windows platform, as for the support for Mac OS X on PC's they don't need to give none, you want to use Mac OS X on PC's, right but that's your problem and you can be sure if they free Mac OS X for PC's a lot of people will try, if something like that happen, how do you picture Apple?. The future looks bright in my opinion. :unsure:

I enjoy the discussion, but lets remember this, it was only a rumor a few years ago, that OSX had an intel version.

who would have really thought Apple would move to that platform. I would say if one thing is certain, Jobs is about makin' money, and making great products, like iTunes, iPod, Safari, iPhone all will be Mac / PC compatable.

I'm not saying, yes leopard is going to be shrink wrapped, but then again.. who knows.

let the battle continue

For all we know, he may pull a shrinkwrapped copy of LeopardX86 out of his steve-pants in october and give everyone the opportunity to run Mac OS on their computers. Or not. The only thing that makes this conspiracy sound feasable is that if the iphone comes out on the 29th, why do we have to wait until October?

OK, maybe they wanna make sure that if there are any iphone bugs, a handful of developers could squash them quickly, but still... the extra few months sounds like enough time for 70-hour-a-week apple employees to incorporate enough PC hardware components drivers into leopard.

Or maybe Leopard is a hoax (albeit a very expensive one) and apple is really leaving the software company to specialize in making small consumer gadgets and desktop software like itunes and iphoto. :)

(PS. Im just throwing conspiracy ideas out there :( )

Are you really a {censored}? Tell me more.. :lol:

Oh and bout your idea, it's a pipe dream that will someday come true, call it an extremely strong hunch.

...LOL.....

Okay, I am man therefore, I am {censored}.

The bad thing is that my wife dosn't allow me to act like one... :hysterical:

I used the "Jane you ignorant {censored}.." opening salvo, because all different points of view should start off that way. The reason why is anything that comes latter, is less insulting.. :rolleyes:

Some of your responses made me choke on my drink... :dev: Great JOB!

Seriously, I think we can all agree that Apple is the most unpredictable organization out there, combined with very tight intra-company security, and Mr. Jobs dynamic nature; nothing is off the table!

-Foxboroman <aka-"Jane">

PS. How do you know that I don't work for Apple Marketing?

Really? When was OS X ever released without copy protection. As I recall way back in 10.4.1 it took the efforts of Maxxuss and his successors in order to bypass EFI and TPM.

Actually, in 10.4.1, it was just TPM. ;)

Umm wouldn't it make more sense that JaS, Maxxuss, and others and hackers who simply enjoy the challenge?

Yes, it would make sense. But not everything makes sense...

And crashes continuosly, not exactly the best way to earn brand loyalty.

That's why it's called a beta. Say it with me, BETA! Good!

What hardware support is being added exactly? Efforts to get non-Apple hardware to work with OS X have taken a long time. No one could have dreamed of things like Natit when 10.4.1 was out. As far as I know the only hardware support Apple has created is for their actual hardware.

I won't comment on this one... NOT THAT I KNOW ANYTHING!!!!

Okay...what exactly is the fact here. Apple says iPhone, you say no?

Umm...

Yeah and making fun of Microsoft is a new concept.

It is a new concept! Actually, poking fun at Microsoft makes the world go 'round. Think about it. When somebody is working on something, and they realize that they did a crappy job, they just think to themselves, "At least it's not as bad as some of Microsoft's products."

BIG HUGE RUMOR...and that is most likely all it is. If I remember this report came from Think Secret which has precognitive abilities that are similar to those displayed by the average accountant.

Yay, rumors! We'll never know utill they day that we see shrink wrapped copies of OS X for your genuine PC in walmart...

Apple WILL sell a shrink wrapped version of Leopard though. How else do you expect the entire installed Mac base to upgrade? Will it run on a PC, nope, least not out of the box. Apple didn't invest a ton of dough into the whole concept of a TPM chip just to toss it out the window. We won't even get into the EFI discussion.

Sure it will run on a PC, just a PC with a shiny metal/plastic outer covering and an Apple logo slapped on it. :P

As other people have said, Apple releasing OS X for PC hardware (at least right now) would be a terrible mistake. PC's use such a hodgepodge of parts that they would need sooo many drivers for it to work alright. Also, Apple would lose a lot of money, and couldnt upkeep the current image macs have (quality) because people would be selling a full fledged-tower and monitor at 400$ (and thus with awful parts)