A guide on updating the kernel to 8.9.1

Guest Ramm

4 posts in this topic

First you need the new kernel. Go to irc.moofspeak.net (in an IRC client) and then go to #osx86 or #kernel and ask for whatever kernel version you want (SSE2+3 or just SSE3). Just to check, the file should be about 4 mb in size.

You need to make hidden files visible. To do this, open a new Terminal and type in:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Then, relaunch finder:

killall Finder

Open a Finder window and go to your root directory (where the System, Library, Applications, and Users folders are). There should now be a file called "mach_kernel" with a blank icon. Rename this file (you may have to authenticate) to "mach_kernel.old".

Take the kernel you downloaded (it should be on your desktop) and put it in the root directory, where the original (now called "mach_kernel.old") is.

Create a new folder in your root directory called "Backup." Browse to System/Library/Extensions and find the file "System.kext". Take this file and MOVE (not copy) it to the "Backup" folder you just made. Download and unzip to the desktop the new System.kext:

System.kext

Copy this file into your Extensions folder, where the old System.kext file used to be. That's it.

Go into Disk Utility and repair your drive's permissions. Reboot and hope it works.

If something goes wrong, at boot, bash F8 so you can get to the boot options screen. Type in mach_kernel.old and press enter. If you think it is an unrecoverable error with the kernel, you have to get your system back to the way it was. Put the System.kext in "Backup" back into your Extensions folder, getting rid of the new 10.4.9 System.kext. Go into your root directory and delete the new mach_kernel file, and rename mach_kernel.old to mach_kernel. It will be back to the way it was.

To get your files re-hidden, do this in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Then, relaunch finder:

killall Finder

I hope this helps.

-Ramm

(I didn't put this in the Genius Bar because I think it will get more attention in here).

First you need the new kernel. Go to irc.moofspeak.net (in an IRC client) and then go to #osx86 or #kernel and ask for whatever kernel version you want (SSE2+3 or just SSE3). Just to check, the file should be about 4 mb in size.

You need to make hidden files visible. To do this, open a new Terminal and type in:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Then, relaunch finder:

killall Finder

Open a Finder window and go to your root directory (where the System, Library, Applications, and Users folders are). There should now be a file called "mach_kernel" with a blank icon. Rename this file (you may have to authenticate) to "mach_kernel.old".

Take the kernel you downloaded (it should be on your desktop) and put it in the root directory, where the original (now called "mach_kernel.old") is.

Create a new folder in your root directory called "Backup." Browse to System/Library/Extensions and find the file "System.kext". Take this file and MOVE (not copy) it to the "Backup" folder you just made. Download and unzip to the desktop the new System.kext:

System.kext

Copy this file into your Extensions folder, where the old System.kext file used to be. That's it.

Go into Disk Utility and repair your drive's permissions. Reboot and hope it works.

If something goes wrong, at boot, bash F8 so you can get to the boot options screen. Type in mach_kernel.old and press enter. If you think it is an unrecoverable error with the kernel, you have to get your system back to the way it was. Put the System.kext in "Backup" back into your Extensions folder, getting rid of the new 10.4.9 System.kext. Go into your root directory and delete the new mach_kernel file, and rename mach_kernel.old to mach_kernel. It will be back to the way it was.

To get your files re-hidden, do this in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Then, relaunch finder:

killall Finder

I hope this helps.

-Ramm

(I didn't put this in the Genius Bar because I think it will get more attention in here).

Will give it a try tonight! Thanks Rammy!

No problem. I realize there are other guides, but this one is a bit simpler to execute and understand. (Why does everyone call me Rammy? :P)

• 5 years later...