OSx86 HCL Database

Tophicles

97 posts in this topic

Ok folks, after cruising the forum and getting so many different links and topics, I decided to try to help out.

I've created a database that people can go and track their experiences with OSx86 hardware. Each time someone adds a new peice of hardware or adds their "review" to an existing peice, the data gets sorted by ease of installation etc.

THIS IS WAAAAY-BETA ;) Hey, it's midnight and I'm tired, but if people like the way it (sort of) works, lemme know and I'll keep on developing it.

Right now it's pretty limited, you see a list of the added hardware, and there's a link at the top to add a new device. If you see a device listed already that you'd like to update with your own experience, just click the "RATE" link at the very left of its line item.

To see the full list of individual reviews for each device, just click on the links under "Average Installation" and "Average Functionality". That will pop down a detailed list of every individual review.

Lemme know, and please keep the flames to a minimum!

Click Here To Visit

Thanks, just trying to help!

Tophicles

PS: Yes, I'm sure it's missing quite a few things, so suggest away! :)

Yeah, I do know the HCL at the Wiki, but I was moreso trying to get a "humanized" approach to the ranking of compatible products.

This way, not only do people see what works, but how easily etc... I saw that you added the video card, there is a spot for model number on the input side, and I just added it on the output side.

I was really aiming this as a consolidated place for hardware info, rather than searching a bazillion posts in the forum ;)

... or it's just a giant, insomnia-driven make work project, I can't decide :)

Thanks for trying it out!

Tophicles

I saw your newest addition, thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, this project got "started" at 10 PM EST and I'm leaving it as is now that it's 3 AM ;)

There's a search function now that searches deviecs, vendors and models, as well as a Help section.

But now, my eyes are getting tired :)

Not too shabby for a few hours of hand coding I'd say, hopefully people find this useful!

The hotlinks to the vendors is a neat thing I think, just have to come up with a decent list of "hot" words and it'll be even cooler!

Thanks again, and please, anyone else, let me know what you think... I'm an amatuer coder at best, but this was a fun way to kill a few hours :)

Peace,

Tophicles...

... just finished adding the "Hot Words" section so you folks can add your own link to words.

So if you know of a particular website that should be linked to a word appearing in the database, you can enter it to direct people there.

Just click on the "Hot Words" link on the top right.

Hoping it's helping, I see more people have cheked it out, thanks!

I wonder, if this works, can we sticky it?

Yours in OSx :whistle:

Tophicles

Cool, I will add my HW too.

EDIT: I added a graphic card as CD/DVD drive, can you please change it.

Sorry, no offense intended!

I didn't know where it would make the most sense, in a pre or post installation topic.

Chalk it up to caffiene-induced delrium, my apologies :)

Tophicles

No worries, that's fine. We all make mistakes ;)

- Sabr.

Thanks!

... and thanks to everyone who has updated this tool!

What we need too are people who have the same device to add their own experiences with it. This way, we can effect the overall "Ranking" of that device!

I'm going to add a few more tweaks and lower the font size a little ot try to make it flow better...

Any suggestions, keep em coming!

Tophicles

.. ok, trying out a WHOLE NEW LOOK!

This should act a LITTLE more like a database and not fill the page with stuff.

I fixed an error where it would not add individual user ratings for a device that already exists, sorry :)

Should be a lot more user friendly now, but I'll reformat the old page a bit for those who prefer everything schlocked out at once...

Let me know how it's working for you!

Cheers,

tophicles

New format finally up and running, sorry for the delay.

Pretty new Apple Logo art as well :)

Everything seems to be working, so let's get to work populating it!

Thanks for all the suggestions and support, this place rules!

Toph

great work bro, i'll add my hardware soon! :D

*EDIT: Tophicles, there's a problem.

If I choose to view motherboards > Gigabyte I get video cards too.

or if I choose Video Cards > Gigabyte I get motheboards too.

It seems that the database is separating Entries by Vendor only.

Hope you can get it fixed ;)

I see your point Scrizz, I guess I just trust that people are jerks :)

But it could lead to things getting messy, any thoughts on the new layout?

I'm also thinking (once we get enough hardware) about making a "System Configurator" that will select the higest rated parts and assemble them into a spec'd out system report. I think that would help a lot of people get this thing running smoothly...

I also think I'll add a section to show which OSx86 release people are using (thanks Coraan) and perhaps a feild denoting whether or not the device is an integrated or standalone?

I love the fact that people are using this, it feels good to be able to help out in whatever limited capacity I can :)

those are some very good ideas, maybe you could have it start with the OS first (ie 10.4.8 > Motherboards> ...)

or maybe include sorting by the interface they connect to (ie agp, pci, pcie, usb,....)

just throwing some ideas at you. :thumbsup_anim: