(Almost) Hidden Secrets of OS X

Swad

135 posts in this topic

Some members on this forum are new Mac users - others of you have been fans since the days of Lisa. What are the little, everyday secrets that you use to make life with your Mac easier?

If you have favorite keyboard shortcuts or hidden features that most people don't know about, share them here!

Maybe these are not new, and are commonly known, but for the new on OSX86

Make the Safari Debug Menu appear:

Quit Safari then in Terminal type

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Make any App Icon Transparent in Dock when it is hidden

In Terminal type defaults write com.apple.dock showhidden -bool true

then type killall Dock

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite - Command Q when the stupid Apple registration screen comes up right after installing. Like I'm going to send all my details to Apple?

iTunes - set 'don't take me to the music store, take me to my music library'. Then it works as a perfectly good MP3 player without the rest of the garbage. Set kiddy preferences to avoid showing music store.

Most of the below are well known but I'll list them anyway-

Holding down C when booting selects the CD for startup rather than HD.

Command Alt Esc is the OSX equivalent of CTRL-ALT-DEL

Command S when booting brings up single-user console

To put dashboard widgets on the desktop, drag them and hit F12 while still dragging. You can put them back in the dashboard by dragging and opening the dashboard at the same time.

To put an eject icon on the top bar, go to /system/library/coreservices/menuextras and double-click on Eject.menu

:)

I forgot an important bit with the widgets drag tip for OSx86 -

For the drag/F12 trick to work, first you have to open terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES
(return)

You might have to do this as root or sudo the command.

Then either logout and login again or reboot and your widgets can now be dragged onto the desktop. Sorry I forgot this vital bit of information.

-S

When ALT-Tabbing. You can still use many commands.

Try for example CMD+Q to kill the selected program. Very handy to kill most programs before planning on restarting or such.

Another favorite is CTRL+F2, which gives focus to the menubar. Very handy =)

F9-F11 - Expose

I would kill for that in XP. It's one of my favorite features of OSX86

There ARE a number of programs on WIndows with more or less similar features - I suggest something called XDESK which has that and a few other things related to managing many windows/applications (QuickView, better Alt+Tab, something like Alt+Tab for mouse) - even if XDESK is actually a virtual desktop manager.

A simple trick that maybe you all know it, [printscr] key in windows = command + 3 in osx, if you hit command + 4 you'll get a partial screen cap, you must to hit the numbers in the common keyboard instead of key pad. Command key = ALT key.

A simple trick that maybe you all know it, [printscr] key in windows = command + 3 in osx, if you hit command + 4 you'll get a partial screen cap, you must to hit the numbers in the common keyboard instead of key pad. Command key = ALT key.

It's alt + shift + 3 for full screen capture and alt + shift + 4 for seleted capture

It's alt + shift + 3 for full screen capture and alt + shift + 4 for seleted capture

Sorry, i did write this post yesterday very later in the night, and forget "shift" key. so it's Command + shift + 3 and Command + Shift + 4. By default in osx86 Command key = ALT key, but you can to change it.

Try for example CMD+Q to kill the selected program. Very handy to kill most programs before planning on restarting or such.

Command+shift+tab -- tab backward through application list

does the "hold F12" work in osx86? suppose to eject the CD/DVD out of primary optical drive.. at least on the ppc platform it does :-) also, force eject of all removable media that support eject by holding left mouse button on bootup (cannot be usb mouse via hub as far as i know)..

also, if anyone was successful in hacking "front row" into osx86, command+esc :-)

yay! =) i use my logitech usb wireless keyboard on osx tiger ppc on the mac mini.. sometimes it does not work (like when osx is trying to read a cd/dvd that is badly scratched).. in that case, i open terminal and type in "disktool -e" and all removable media is ejected. also, dragging the volume folder to trash ejects media.

-p

it took me a while to get the hang of this one on my french keyboard : apple-tab to cycle through the apps and then shift-A to quit them ! :laser:

Well, here's something on PowerPC Macs (No OSx86! :angry: ) to access the Firmware Command Prompt in Open Firmware.

Once you hear the startup chime, hit Cmd+Opt+O+F (OF for Open firmware, stating the obvious). You will get a white screen with black text.

I don't know any of the commands, maybe someone can help me with that, or I will post them later once I find them.

Oh -- I forgot. BE CAREFUL IN HERE!!! There are commands that are DANGEROUSLY close to internal system functions that computer noobs and Mac noobs shouldn't play with unless you read something in a manual that told you to use this.

--In Shorter Words...--

DON'T USE WITHOUT PRIOR OPERATING KNOWLEDGE!!!!

Edited by The Living Embodiment of OSx86

a nice shortcut-list...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

btw: try ctrl-option-command-8 (german keyb. layout)

very handy at night when you'r wardriving 'round the block :happymac:

Edited by BoNeS