802.11n PCI-Express Wireless Solutions for OSx86 / Hack Pro

56 posts in this topic

I think there are just not that many PCI-express wireless cards out in the market, which may also explain why there haven't been much compatability. Like explained above, we were close, just didn't work. But I wouldn't doubt more fiddling would get us closer. Also wireless use is not as demanding as laptops in the forums, so it may be a rare occasion. cheers, and good luck, great question, hopefully we can hear from more persepectives. :D

Thing is, I'm pretty held up on the matter. Since I am using a G5 case I can use unly a M-ATX board, and that one sport only 1 PCI-E connector which I'd rather use for a good RAID5 card.

Furthermore, the case comes with a really sexy internal antenna with 2 connectors, hence why I wouldn't use a PCI-PCI-E card with some ugly antenna sticking on the back of the case.

Last but certainly not least, the price of the Mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter is simply silly.

What is the actual status for Mini-PCI cards? I see there is some support for Atheros chipped cards and there appear to be also some Broadcom based ones..

Which one to go for? I would be using the card on a password protected home network.

Thing is, I'm pretty held up on the matter. Since I am using a G5 case I can use unly a M-ATX board, and that one sport only 1 PCI-E connector which I'd rather use for a good RAID5 card.

Furthermore, the case comes with a really sexy internal antenna with 2 connectors, hence why I wouldn't use a PCI-PCI-E card with some ugly antenna sticking on the back of the case.

Last but certainly not least, the price of the Mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter is simply silly.

What is the actual status for Mini-PCI cards? I see there is some support for Atheros chipped cards and there appear to be also some Broadcom based ones..

Which one to go for? I would be using the card on a password protected home network.

So what exactly are you asking for? With your motherboard you have some hard decisions to make based on what you already have. If you want to use the internal antenna with you mini-pcie card you have, then you're gonna have to fork over the money for expensive adapter. It's expensive because it looks like it's only two vendors on the web that offer it; simple supply and demand issue.

If you don't want to use the PCI express slot, then you have the PCI slot; but I'm guessing you have a firewire card in that slot. So either you're gonna have to pull it, use the firewire port already available on the board and find some card that will fit. There are 802.11N PCI cards available for macs ruing the ralink chipset from various vendors... just look in the wireless section at macsales.com or http://www.oxfordtec.com/uk/ for info. I doubt anyone should care that you have the antennas hanging out the back; desktop wireless N choices for mac are limited.

You can also use a wireless N usb card as well. There are cards available on that same macsales.com or http://www.oxfordtec.com/uk/ websites.

So basically those are your choices for mac, although you're only gonna get 2.4ghz wireless. Most wireless N vendors seem to be focusing on the mini pci express format for their wireless solutions, especially at the 5ghz range, so either you have to get that "silly" adapter or get the Netgear gaming adapter that plugs into your ethernet port.

So are there any non-apple made Wireless-N Mini Pcie cards working out of the box?

Look in my previous post for the links. Not sure if you actually looked before you posted.

meansizzler: You'll have to do some google searches for that, besides, that's kind of off the topic for this thread. :(

Sorry if this has been asked else where, but is there any reason the AirPort Extreme Card (ATHEROS AR5008E-3NX), card would not work?

Apple doesnt use proprietary connections or anything with its cards?

I have a Dell XPS M1530

With the intel 4965agn

and I have a WUSB54GC USB both of which are problematic in Leo (both work awesome in Ubuntu tho..)

I have looked , I just couldnt find a definitive answer

Thanks

Cameron

Sorry if this has been asked else where, but is there any reason the AirPort Extreme Card (ATHEROS AR5008E-3NX), card would not work?

Apple doesnt use proprietary connections or anything with its cards?

I have a Dell XPS M1530

With the intel 4965agn

and I have a WUSB54GC USB both of which are problematic in Leo (both work awesome in Ubuntu tho..)

I have looked , I just couldnt find a definitive answer

Thanks

Cameron

Not to be mean, but did you even look at page 1 of this thread?

Hey

yeah, i looked at the first page of the thread, and they are using the Airport Extreme wireless card, but using an adaptor for a desktop (as far as I can tell), apologies if I am mistaken.

Also *gramarye* seemed to ask the same question , but seemingly was not answered?

It was answered.

But I'll say it again.

the Atheros 5008 mini pcie, whether it's from apple or generic can be used. The conversation dealt with how to use that N card in a desktop machine. They are basically the same chipset with the company's name slapped on it; hence the the difference in prices. If you have the choice between the generic and apple, save yourself a few bucks and get the generic (see my signature for my configuration.. I have generic 5008 and it is recognized as Airport Extreme). There was confusion on the adapter card. Mini pci goes with pci, mini pcie goes with pci express... you have to use the same type.

If there's a compatibility issue it will come from your laptop; some OEM vendors block you from using other cards with the mini pcie slot. If that's the case, then you'll need to look at the Dell 1500 (not the 1505) and see if that works. Otherwise you're stuck with the card that the laptop came with or USB.

If you need PCI, the DLink DWA 552 works out of the box in Wireless N.

See signature.

I think I previously asked if this card supports the 5ghz range. Does it?

I'm thinking it doesn't even though you would think it supports the same chipset. I couln't find a Mac compatible pci card that would allow me to go into this higher frequency. My configuration is more expensive but I'm connected with Time Capsule at 5ghz 802.11N. I started backing up my entire system before I left for work. I'm out of the interference of the other wireless networks near me.

I believe this would be the card we're looking for MiniPCIe to PCIe:

mediaff5.gif

Apple AirPort Extreme b/g/n Card for iMac & Mac Pro

This airport extreme is a networking for the iMac and Mac Pro.

This is a New, Apple original part.

Apple Part Number: 661-4060, MA688Z/A

http://www.mac-pro.com/Apple-AirPort-Extre...or-iMac-Mac-Pro

+

pex1miniplhf9.jpg

The prices come out to close enough for me to rather buy the apple product instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dell-Wireless-WLAN...7QQcmdZViewItem

terrancew_hod, your thoughts?

^That combination will definitely work for you. Just make sure you buy antenna wires for the card, as I don't think they will come with it.

These antenna work in both the 2.4-5ghz range:

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p120/Laptop-In...oduct_info.html

This card will also work for you as well, it's the same chipset as those found in the newer macbooks and mac pros. I think this one has better wireless range than the one you picked out... which is based on the first 'N' cards that came out for the macs.

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/p126/SparkLAN-...oduct_info.html

But to keep the confusing down for you, just get the one you selected. ;)

As usual, thanks for the reply.

5GHz in PCI-express would be awesome!

I noticed the links you've posted were in UK Dollars and Euros.

Would any of the following work? The problem is, I'm not sure which antenna I'm looking for. And the antenna is absolutely required right, and if that's so I want to make sure I order the correct compatible one (if they're all the same, than I guess less worries):

EDIT: Or even better, what should I search on ebay?

http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/wi...ssnonahack.html

@ Mac-Pro

http://www.mac-pro.com/Mac-Pro-Online-Stor...airport+antenna

@ ApplePalace

http://www.applepalace.com/scripts/prodlist.asp

The link I gave previously had both sites for UK/Europe and the US sites. They basically give you the type of connection, which I believe is U.FL... Also the screenshot on that site shows the connector that will need to attach to the wireless card and the other will be for a antenna, which I believe is included with that particular wire.

If you need more sites, I believe you can google for U.FL antennas and you should get more sites. I actually did a search on ebay which gave me a few sites, but it seems most of them are in china which isn't too bad, but I have 4 antennas sitting in customs for two weeks waiting to come out... luckily I only dropped about $20 on them, but the guy was short one (originally ordered 5) and he for some dumb reason put some money as a refund into the package... hopefully the package doesn't "disappear" on me.

And yes, you do need the antennas in order to get the reception. There will be too much interference inside the machine for the card to operate without the antennas.

Actually, thanks for these links, the place is in fact located in CA, which is a lot closer.

If I do order the card, I'd get the antenna as well.

For anyone that may be interested in just an antenna alone with low shipping charges, I found a few here via ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-pair-Internal-Ante...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Internal-Antenna-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Internal-Antenna-for...7QQcmdZViewItem

• 1 month later...

hi Terrance ..i bought one of those generic atheros-based 5008 mini-pci for use in my dell xps m1530, but OSX86 10.5.1 (Kalyway & Leo4All) didnt recognise it (in Windows it works no probs). You mentioned it worked straight out of the box for you ..which is what I thought since it is the same chipset used on the actual Airport Extreme N in the MBP. I even tried to install the 802.11N enabler but strangely says my machine is incompatible because (I am guessing.. but could be on the wrong track) system profiler has identified my system as a "Mac Pro" and not a "Mac Book Pro". I'm at a loss for the moment ...

• 2 weeks later...

daz311, in their signature says that it needs 10.5.2 to be recognised without tweaking.

i'm wondering if the similar type DWA-556 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=549&sec=0) can be use directly through PCI-E 1x and work in osx86. since many of u use Mini PCIe to PCIe converter, i assume that the PCIe 1x slot in the motherboard works well in osx86.

but it's running single band 2.4GHz. I'm also currently looking for PCI/PCIe 1x wireless N that can run native airport extreme @5GHz.

The only dual band card available is Linksys WUSB600N (USB Interface). It uses Broadcom Intensi-Fi but no idea about the exact type.

hi Terrance ..i bought one of those generic atheros-based 5008 mini-pci for use in my dell xps m1530, but OSX86 10.5.1 (Kalyway & Leo4All) didnt recognise it (in Windows it works no probs). You mentioned it worked straight out of the box for you ..which is what I thought since it is the same chipset used on the actual Airport Extreme N in the MBP. I even tried to install the 802.11N enabler but strangely says my machine is incompatible because (I am guessing.. but could be on the wrong track) system profiler has identified my system as a "Mac Pro" and not a "Mac Book Pro". I'm at a loss for the moment ...

Right now I am running the vanilla version of os, so I'm not sure about the other versions. Maybe it has something do to with the actual mini-pcie port on your laptop; with the windows drivers it is fine but the driver on OSX doesn't properly manage it. (Maybe the card isn't properly turned on in Leopard). I read something to that effect on this forum (something maybe about using tape on one of the pins), but I'm not sure where.

I can only speak from my setup where I'm using a desktop and an adapter card. It's basically a passthrough card so the OS recognizes it. I also bought the Dell version of the 802.11n card and installed it on my roommates Mini and Macbook pro without issues.

• 3 months later...
Guest BuildSmart
The 1505 won't work; it uses the intel chipset (got that from postings in the apple discussion forum). I looked on ebay and if you use the keywords "dell 1500 wireless" there were a few there. If not, just check everyday... more will show up. :)
I can guarantee this card will work and it is Broadcom based, if you ask "chrand" he will confirm that this card does in fact work since he just bought one of my new wireless adapters.

I've seen and tried that PEX1-MINI card, only works in regular style cases, wasn't specifically designed for wireless and wont fit low profile (SFF) cases and buying this adapter, a wireless card that supports 802.11a/b/g/n and antennas that support 2.4ghz and 5ghz (there is a difference) put the price over $200.00

Here's what ASUS does for me in regular and low profile bracket, here is the low profile bracket version with enough resolution that you can examine the card close enough to almost smell it.

my-adapter.jpg

Sadly enough these cards cannot be purchased from ASUS by anyone but me (I'd sue them) so your chances of obtaining one directly from them is zero unless I give it up (not likely to happen).

I wont be selling the cards alone, they will be available complete with wireless card and antenna, all components are new and cost including shipping to your door (in continental US) is $140.00.

Hopefully someone who recently bought one will post a comment on the adapter in the near future.

I'd also be interested in whether the DWA 556 works.

I haven't yet upgraded to 10.5.2, though. How much of a hassle is it to get the card working under 10.5.1?

Yes it works, doesn't support the 5ghz band so you wont get a connection greater than 130mbps in OS X.

Right now I am running the vanilla version of os, so I'm not sure about the other versions. Maybe it has something do to with the actual mini-pcie port on your laptop; with the windows drivers it is fine but the driver on OSX doesn't properly manage it. (Maybe the card isn't properly turned on in Leopard). I read something to that effect on this forum (something maybe about using tape on one of the pins), but I'm not sure where.

I can only speak from my setup where I'm using a desktop and an adapter card. It's basically a passthrough card so the OS recognizes it. I also bought the Dell version of the 802.11n card and installed it on my roommates Mini and Macbook pro without issues.

Depending on the card, it may not be the same chipset as used in the Apple cards and the miniPCI version of the card does not support the 5ghz band.

Hi Buildsmart!

Thanks for posting the image of the Asus PCI-express adaptor. I'm wondering if:

a) There's a combination of both wifi+bluetooth module (EDR 2.0) on a mini-pci-express card which can be slot into the Asus card?

:) For newer cards, which normally comes with 3 antennas, I suppose the Asus card is able to support all 3 antennas?

Please advise.

Thanks!

perimbean

• 3 months later...