802.11n PCI-Express Wireless Solutions for OSx86 / Hack Pro

56 posts in this topic

• 8 months later...
Use DPCI Manager and see which VendorID/DeviceID it has.

Sorry to be such a n00b, this is my last step for a perfect hackintosh!

How can i tell which is the Vendor and the Device ID from this:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_1033147B&REV_01\4&3736C399&0&00E1

Whoa! Blast from the past! :P  ...what a trip. this is some major resurrection action going on, you can find some answers on these following threads:

What network cards work?, List your network card that runs native.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry448953

PCIe Wireless card

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=airpace

Abit Airpace wifi for Mac Pro

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=airpace

Atheros 5006EG

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=51382&st=0

Atheros AR5007EG

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...lite=%2Bairpace

like macgirl mentioned, google is your friend :)

*If the above threads don't suffice, you could always implement this: http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/wi...ssnonahack.html

*If the above threads don't suffice, you could always implement this: http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/wi...ssnonahack.html

On that page it says that the Dell 1390 works with a PCIx1 adapter. Can it work with a classic PCIE adapter (on my P5B running 10.5.2)? Just asking this because of the price. My local computer store sells PCIE to mini PCI adapter for 14.99$. Thanks.

On that page it says that the Dell 1390 works with a PCIx1 adapter. Can it work with a classic PCIE adapter (on my P5B running 10.5.2)? Just asking this because of the price. My local computer store sells PCIE to mini PCI adapter for 14.99$. Thanks.

If you're going to go with the adapter route, I would go with an actual airport extreme wireless card (but that's only because I prefer having the apple product instead, but yes the Dell is probably the same anyway):

pex1miniplhf9.jpg + 230208964fm5.jpg

$14.99?!?! for the MINI-PCIe to PCIe x1 adapter? is that in USD? They cost about $80 USD over here, you have a link? Get back to me :)

So PCIx1 and PCIE to miniPCI are the same! Thanks. Here is the link to my adpater:

http://1000ordi.ch/productsDisplay.php?pro...productID=17421

Here is a picture:

17421.jpg

It cost 18 CHF (swiss francs); us yahoo finance to convert to $, it should be like 15 - 16 $. My local computer store sells it for 14.99 CHF (swiss francs, not $). Still cheaper!

^That is NOT the same card as the pci-express to mini-pcie card. The mini-pcie card will not fit in this.

Luckily I paid $10 for my mistake (i bought 2). I'm using the PEX1-MINI adapter ($104.00 USD) with a $35 generic Atheros 5008 card I got from ebay. The card came with 3 antenna wires that I run outside my case. I will have to go to storage and find an old pci card bracket with a small opening so I can replace the bracket on the PEX1-MINI... it didn't have any holes to run the antenna out so I will have to replace it or drill a small hole on that bracket.

I plugged the card into the adapter and started my machine up. The mini-pcie card is recognized as an airport extreme (a/b/g/n). Works flawlessly.

I believe this is the one of two manufacturers that makes this type of card, hence it is so expensive. I did an extensive google search and found it after changing my search parameters several times.

^Now if you use that wireless mini-pci card with the $15 adapter, then it will work. The combination that gramarye posted wouldn't work nor would using a mini-pcie express wireless card with a pci-to mini-pci adapter.

Some people get confused over that because it isn't really clear until you have the two in your hand. The adapter I'm using for wireless is still expensive because of the small number of vendors, but I have the same capabilities of the wireless laptops in my desktop hackintosh. I guess with slowdown in pc desktops, no one is making the same wireless adapters as are available for laptops.

I'm a bit confused, the card AndreaGalileo posted is a PCI card, I'm not interested in a PCI card, and I had no idea AndreaGalileo was original

y not interested in one. I can say that is why the card is $15 because it's PCI also, it is not the same slot as the MiniPCI-Express to PCIe x1 adapter.

AndreaGalileo, if you're just settling a wireless-G network connection and a PCI card, why not just get a compatible Wireless-G PCI card that already works? (Instead of all these adapters and conversions)

terrancew_hod, thanks for the comments/feedback. This whole time I was basing off of aquamac's hack: http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/wi...ssnonahack.html

If my combination doesn't work, than what will work with that adapter? Is that Apple Airport Exreme Wireless card an Apple proprietary card, and is not compatible with any adapters we may find? By looking at its dimms, it looks compatible with the MiniPCIe to PCIe x1 adapter, but not AndreaGalileo's PCI one. I'd like to hear back! :D

terrancew_hod, thanks for the comments/feedback. This whole time I was basing off of aquamac's hack: http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/wi...ssnonahack.html

If my combination doesn't work, than what will work with that adapter? Is that Apple Airport Exreme Wireless card an Apple proprietary card, and is not compatible with any adapters we may find? By looking at its dimms, it looks compatible with the MiniPCIe to PCIe x1 adapter, but not AndreaGalileo's PCI one. I'd like to hear back! :(

Trust me, I've been scratching my head over that one as well. I spent days looking for the right adapter!

Right now I have a generic atheros 5008 installed in the adapter that I installed yesterday. I purchased that from ebay for about $50 from china. Upon booting, Mac OS recognized it as 802.11N (a/b/g/n) without any addtional drivers. Look on ebay for that card or even the Dell 1500 wireless, which uses the broadcom chipset found in the macbooks. It also supports 802.11N (a/b/g/n) without drivers in os x. Just make sure you buy the antennas if they aren't included. I saw a few of these cards left on ebay for $35 USD + $4 shipping. These are basically the same as (atheros that is) ones supplied by Sonnet (Aria Extreme) for about $120, Quickertek for $89-179 and Fastmac for $89. You can also get an original airport express card from ifixit.com for $99.

But right now, it looks like this is the best (and maybe only) way to get the 5ghz 802.11N connections in a desktop pc for Airport Extreme and I believe Netgear's new router. This is something you want to consider if you're also thinking about purchasing an Time Capsule.

Trust me, I've been scratching my head over that one as well. I spent days looking for the right adapter!

Right now I have a generic atheros 5008 installed in the adapter that I installed yesterday. I purchased that from ebay for about $50 from china. Upon booting, Mac OS recognized it as 802.11N (a/b/g/n) without any addtional drivers. Look on ebay for that card or even the Dell 1500 wireless, which uses the broadcom chipset found in the macbooks. It also supports 802.11N (a/b/g/n) without drivers in os x. Just make sure you buy the antennas if they aren't included. I saw a few of these cards left on ebay for $35 USD + $4 shipping. These are basically the same as (atheros that is) ones supplied by Sonnet (Aria Extreme) for about $120, Quickertek for $89-179 and Fastmac for $89. You can also get an original airport express card from ifixit.com for $99.

But right now, it looks like this is the best (and maybe only) way to get the 5ghz 802.11N connections in a desktop pc for Airport Extreme and I believe Netgear's new router. This is something you want to consider if you're also thinking about purchasing an Time Capsule.

So that aquamac's method is incorrect? I'm still lost. Trust me, I believe you, It just got really confusing with AndreaGalileo's PCI card in the picture, which one combination doesn't work, which one does?

Why not this:

Airport Extreme Card for $49.00 + $1.99 Firmware update to Wireless-N

230208964fm5.jpg

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nMore=M8881LL/A

I already have an Airport Extreme BaseStation, so I'm fine with the router, just never really took advantage of its wireless-n, I guess my macbook pro detects it.

I guess I shold change this thread title to Wireless-N PCI-express Solutions (which is already around)

@ gramarye: the picture you have posted is a mini pci wireless card that only supports a/b/g networking. The 1.99 update will not give you 'N' speeds because this is an incompatible card.

This is the Airport Extreme wireless cards for earlier macbooks and macbook pro core duo that supports 802.11N and the $1.99 update:

post-155451-1204214058_thumb.jpg

This one is for the Macbook pro core 2 duo:

post-155451-1204214178_thumb.jpg

These cards are not only smaller, but they aren't available for sale at the apple store. You can get them on ebay or ifixit.com. Most wireless cards in newer laptops support mini pci express, not mini pci.

The wireless N cards use a mini pci express slot in laptops, and the only way to use them in a desktop is to use the more expensive pci express to mini pci express (mini pcie) adapter card.

post-155451-1204214830_thumb.jpg

Instead of buying that card you can either buy a generic atheros 5008 card or the Dell 1500; both of those use the same chipsets as the above cards and require no drivers to use in leopard. Also generally these cards will be at least $30 cheaper than the Apple-branded ones.

The 'g' version of the airport extreme card uses a mini-pci slot and to use that in a desktop you need a pci to mini-pci adapter card which is usually between $15-25 USD. This is the adapter you need to plug into the airport extreme (802.11g) that you have posted:

post-155451-1204214963_thumb.jpg

The mini pci and mini pci express slots are different and incompatible. It's easy to get them confused; you just have to make sure the card is either "mini pci" or "mini pci express" and you have the same type of interface. "Express" is the keyword between the two.

Hope that gives you a better idea what to look for.

P.S. Aquamac's method is correct. Looks like he's using the "pci express to mini pci express" adapter card and the Dell 1500.

(sorry about the long post)

verywell explained, thanks for the clarifications.
Yep, thanks a lot. That helped me a lot too. Finally i understood the different between those two adapters. Thanks terrancew_hod, you are a very helpful member! :wink2: :D

To conclude this topic, i guess there is no "driver support for the ABIT AirPace Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, PCI Express Wireless Adapter".

Yep, thanks a lot. That helped me a lot too. Finally i understood the different between those two adapters. Thanks terrancew_hod, you are a very helpful member! :);) To conclude this topic, i guess there is no "driver support for the ABIT AirPace Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, PCI Express Wireless Adapter".
Yes it would be so, eventhough the chipset is supported. Anyway, I think I'll change the title of the thread, thanks for resurrecting it since I have learned quite a bit and I hope others shared this new found knowledge as well.

EDIT: *I could not find the Dell 1500 but I found a Dell 1505, you guys think that'd work?http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dell-Wireless-WLAN...7QQcmdZViewItem

Yes it would be so, eventhough the chipset is supported. Anyway, I think I'll change the title of the thread, thanks for resurrecting it since I have learned quite a bit and I hope others shared this new found knowledge as well.

EDIT: *I could not find the Dell 1500 but I found a Dell 1505, you guys think that'd work?http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dell-Wireless-WLAN...7QQcmdZViewItem

The 1505 won't work; it uses the intel chipset (got that from postings in the apple discussion forum). I looked on ebay and if you use the keywords "dell 1500 wireless" there were a few there. If not, just check everyday... more will show up. :D

Is it possible that there are NO working Mini-PCI cards working well on Leopard?

I have a Mini-PCI-E card that will work straight out of the box on Leo, but I will need to buy the VERY expensive PEX1-MINI, and that is a joke.

I have a PCI to Mini-PCI converter and I'd totally love to be able to utilise any Mini-PCI card with 2 antenna plugs in my Hack.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind at all to fiddle with IDs etc.

Is it possible that there are NO working Mini-PCI cards working well on Leopard?

I have a Mini-PCI-E card that will work straight out of the box on Leo, but I will need to buy the VERY expensive PEX1-MINI, and that is a joke.

I have a PCI to Mini-PCI converter and I'd totally love to be able to utilise any Mini-PCI card with 2 antenna plugs in my Hack.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind at all to fiddle with IDs etc.

I think there are just not that many PCI-express wireless cards out in the market, which may also explain why there haven't been much compatability. Like explained above, we were close, just didn't work. But I wouldn't doubt more fiddling would get us closer. Also wireless use is not as demanding as laptops in the forums, so it may be a rare occasion. cheers, and good luck, great question, hopefully we can hear from more persepectives. :P