Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

517 posts in this topic

Yep, which I set as Extended (Journaled) and hit "Erase" It is supposed to format but I could never get it to format as Extended and mount.

But I found a workaround, went back to Acronis and selected the partition and convert. That was when I got the option to set the Partition info and set it as AF (Mac OS Extneded Journaled). Once I went back into the install I was able to erase, mount and install.

Thanks for the reply though.

@pioneer1976

so what packages did you install?did you install nvidia, natit or titan packages?also, please mention about your machine's specs.

I had to use Paragon Partition Manager your ISO didnt work for me.

Here are the last two lines after pressing Enter on Partition Magic:

Loading boot sector... booting...
Starting Caldera DR-DOS...

_	   (<-blinking)

Hi Boinkytwo,

I have a question: will this work, booting Mac with the chain0 trick ?

I have WindowsXP on my first HD first partition. Second partition just documents.

Vista on my second HD, first partition and MacOS on this second HD, second partition.

Can I use the chain0 to get MacOs booted? Where to put the chain0 file? On the first or second HD?

thnx, AntarcticP

hmmm... honestly.. i havent tried that yet, i dont have vista.

but still, try the following.

set your 2nd hdd as your 1st boot device from the bios setup, and following the chain0 technique, so as you can boot osx.

drop chain0 file in your vista partition's root.

edit vista bootloader and add your windows xp partition.

if youre successfull, you will be having a triple boot

Hi. i am dual booting os x and vista and i have partitioned the drives and everything is right, vista is installed, and im up to the last step where i need to install os x. i start up with the os x image dvd in the disc drive and select "Boot From Disc" using acronis OS selector, to my understanding following that it should display some text then continue to the installation, but when i select boot from disc it goes to a blank screen where an underscore blinks continuosly in the top left corner. i have no idea what im supposed to do and if anyone had any ideas about whats going wrong pelase post. ive been trying to do this for a couple days know and its becoming really agitating. thanks in advance.

hey i seem to be having troubles just making a simple cd...

do i just burn the .iso file the data cd or what am i doing here

help lol

sorry for the noobness

all the cd's ive created say non bootable on stattup including boinkytwo_bootpm.iso...

thanks

Hi All,

Thanks Boinky! your trick worked great!

Sorry it took me a little while to get it tested.

Only problem I'm having is the install fails to finish up with OSX.

During the last phase (with less than a minute remaining) it just hangs up and never completes.

Its not the disc because I've used it on two other machines on seperate HD's and had no problems.

Its the Uphuck 10.4.9 universal install disc 1.4

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

-Nucci

all boot cd request, sent...

@nucci

use the cd/dvd drive that youve used to intall successfully on the other mahcines.

check your drive for error.

@buiten

yes, you may do that. a clean drive is not a requisite. its just a suggestion for easy intallation.

@taylor

use nero or alcohol 120 to burn the image

The DVD drive I am using is the same external one I've installed from before. It fails at the final phase. All installation is complete supposedly, it just doesn't finish up the last part where there is "less than a minute remaining"

All of my hardware should be compatible, but I'm wondering if there is another known cause for the last little speed bump of installation that could cause the hang up that I haven't noticed anyone else experiencing the same issues.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

-Nucci

• Insert OSX86 install DVD and install OSX

• When reaching the Select Destination menu, open Disk Utility and format the 2nd partition in MAC OS Extended (Journaled) format, Input your desired Volume Name (ex. My MAC). Then proceed with the installation until finished.

hello boinktwo,

the problem for me is that the installation program does not see the hard disk:

at the moment I cannot take a picture, but what it telss me is that the only thing he sees is the dvd uphuck itself

I really don't know how to proceed, any suggestion?

When you use Boinky's disc make sure that you have created two new partitions.

What worked for me is I created a partition with my xp install cd that was not my entire HD.

I have a 160GB drive, and created a partition of 60GB for windows leaving the rest of the HD unformatted.

Inside windows after install I made another partition of 20GB for sharing files between platforms, and formatted this FAT32

I booted from boinky's disc following instructions to create I think a 8GB partition, then I did the remainder of my HD with FAT 32, and named it OSX.

Finished up as per his instructions, booted up the OSX install disc.

You should be able to launch disc utiltiy, and choose the one you have labeled OSX or if you didn't label it the larger of the two FAT32 drives, and use the erase menu option choosing MAC OS Extended (Journaled) format.

exit disc utility and you should see the HD available to install on at that point.

If you don't retrace your steps becase you might have left a step out.

If you have a SATA HD I've read of other people having issues with SATA Drives.

Mine is a PATA (laptop IDE), my desktop has SATA, and my other laptop has SATA and I've had no issues with these drives.

Best of luck!

my problem is that my pc does not recognizes

"mybootcd" created by boinkytwo

but, anyway, I have done the same partition process with partition magic

anyway I am going to read carefully what nucci wrote and answer more accurately

thanks anyway at the moment

ferrybotte,

When you say that your pc does not recognize "mybootcd" created by boinkytwo do you mean it won't boot from it, or that you don't know what to do with the file he sent you?

If it is the 1st part try reburning it, and burn it on a CD. Also check that your bios is set to first boot from the CDROM drive.

If it is the second part it is a .iso file. It is a CD image that you should be able to burn with Nero, Roxio, Alcohol, the usual suspects.

If you meant that OSX wont see the HD or that it is grayed out in disc utility, you haven't partitioned it properly, or your drive isn't supported by darwine.

You could also try using a differen't Install Disc of OSX. I had great success with JAS 10.4.8 original release on my desktop, but couldn't get it to work at all on my two laptops. There I've had more success with Uphuck's release.

I still struggle with this as you can see from my signature, but if you respond in detail with your problem I and anyone else reading this will do our best to help you out.

sorry for the late post, just got home from school after working all day.

-nucci

nucci,thx very much for interesting my case.here' s a picture of my hd partitioning that I've done by using the standard version of partition magic; not the one in the cd provided by boinkytwo.indeed, that cd was not recognised as a proper boot cd from my pc.I tried to burn another copy with nero, but I did not succeed: is that really necessary in order to complete the installation, is not the simple stansard version of partition magic sufficient?ps: could someone fo you please invite me to demonoid.com?so that i can download another version of 10.4.x?or, if someone has, send me pm the link.thx very muchnucci,thx very much for interesting my case.here' s a picture of my hd partitioning that I've done by using the standard version of partition magic; not the one in the cd provided by boinkytwo.indeed, that cd was not recognised as a proper boot cd from my pc.I tried to burn another copy with nero, but I did not succeed: is that really necessary in order to complete the installation, is not the simple stansard version of partition magic sufficient?ps: could someone fo you please invite me to demonoid.com?so that i can download another version of 10.4.x?or, if someone has, send me pm the link.thx very muchhttp://picasaweb.google.it/ferrybotte/Inte...025610351983346here's the linki found some links,hoping they are the correct ones :unsure:

I'm not sure if that is set up properly or not from the picture you sent. Boinky's versioin of Partition Magic is a DOS interface and might do stuff that yours doesn't.

Are you still not able to detect a HD for OSX installation? It could be a problem with the type of HD you have. Are you doing this on a desktop, or a laptop?

If it's a desktop you should just get another HD and install that way. If it's a laptop I don't know how you could get it going. It seems you're doing everything right just you can't get boinky's cd to boot properly for you.

Demonoid isn't letting any invites go out last I tried. There are other alternatives, but you can get in trouble for suggesting them i think, but there are other places you can look that sometimes have more options than demonoid and don't require memberships or invites :-)

Someone else can chime in if they want, but I don't want to risk getting a boot from this site if that's not kosher to suggest one.

Good Luck!

-Nucci

First of all,

thanks for your answers,

then:

I'm not sure if that is set up properly or not from the picture you sent. Boinky's versioin of Partition Magic is a DOS interface and might do stuff that yours doesn't.

probably you are right, in fact, as a last try, I had managed to create a proper boot cd that my pc could recgnize and booted from it; and followed step by step all the given instructions, but anyway nothing changed: I mean that osx installer and disk utility could not find the hd.

the only thing it could find was the Usb external hd drive: so idecided to perform the installation on that!

and everything was fine to be true, but i could not menage to boot from it..

it is a strange and annoying fact this one, because indeed i can't even install my suse linux enterprise desktop 10 on this machine, while i easily could on my laptop..

as to the instakllation files, now i am trying

"Mac OSx 10.4.8 from JAS with ppf 1 &2, sse 2&3 + intel core2duo debug & crossover 6.rar" 3.73 gb

and

leopard :D

when they are done i'll let you know .. but i suspect that the first one should be a smaller version of the boinkytwo one

If you meant that OSX wont see the HD or that it is grayed out in disc utility, you haven't partitioned it properly, or your drive isn't supported by darwine

is there, in the end, a way to make possible that my hd would support darwin?

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to install uphuck 1.4i r2 on my pc. I've got what I'm assuming is the boot screen (the apple on grey, with the little spiny circle below it) but after about a minute, a slashed circle (like in a "No Smoking" sign) appeared roughly over the stem of the apple. Is this normal? I understand it can take ages to boot, and I've only been waiting about 20 minutes, but I'm just curious.

Thanks

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to install uphuck 1.4i r2 on my pc. I've got what I'm assuming is the boot screen (the apple on grey, with the little spiny circle below it) but after about a minute, a slashed circle (like in a "No Smoking" sign) appeared roughly over the stem of the apple. Is this normal? I understand it can take ages to boot, and I've only been waiting about 20 minutes, but I'm just curious.

Thanks

Update,

I tried starting the install using the "-s" and "-x" commands, and it worked! Everything installed and "optimized" but when it rebooted, it gets stuck on the mobo logo screen, like, before I can even access the bios.

Any ideas?

edit: I've installed it on a seperate hd, i'll do a dual-boot, but for the installation, I had my xp drive un-plugged from the ide channel. When I swap them, it boots perfectly.

anyway, I would like to let you know my pc components list, if anyone should have any suggestion

always considering that my problem is that the disk utility does not see the hd

BOX 550W ATX

CPU INTEL CD E6550 2.33 4MB SK775 RET

DIMM KINGSTON 2X1GB PC667 DDR II

DVD±RW PIONEER 112D IDE BLACK OEM

HD W.DIGITAL WD1600JS 160GB 8MB SATA300

MB ASROCK 4COREDUAL SK775 VIA PT880ULTRA

UB FDD 1.44 MB BLACK OEM

VD NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300GT 256MB PCX