Simple Dual Boot Guide: Windows XP + OSX86 (Hackintosh)

517 posts in this topic

First, thanks boinkytwo for that bootcd.

Ok

i've looked at a couple of different tuts on this forum and just choose to try differetn ones at differetn times.

now i had xp installed so really couldn't follow this thread's instruction.

but here's what i did:

i created a 9 gig FAT32 primary partition then i changed its type (with A.D.D) to 0xAF (ShagOS swap) after having some problems (explanation here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t&p=126158) at the end i set it to active.

anyway, i booted up my osx86 dvd and after actually going through earsing the partion and changing the type to journal, now it gives me

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume."

what gives

please help

thanks in advance.

Works well. I used the darwin boot loader. Thanks a lot :)
good, great you did a great job.
First, thanks boinkytwo for that bootcd.Oki've looked at a couple of different tuts on this forum and just choose to try differetn ones at differetn times.now i had xp installed so really couldn't follow this thread's instruction.but here's what i did:i created a 9 gig FAT32 primary partition then i changed its type (with A.D.D) to 0xAF (ShagOS swap) after having some problems (explanation here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t&p=126158) at the end i set it to active.anyway, i booted up my osx86 dvd and after actually going through earsing the partion and changing the type to journal, now it gives me"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume."what givesplease helpthanks in advance.
make a clean install of everything and then follow my procedures.for convenience and ease of creating a partition, use the bootcd.before executing my procedures, you must use a fresh hard drive, no os installed yet.now, delet the osx partition and re-create it into an unformatted partition, leaving it raw.boot from the osx intall dvd, when reaching the disk utility part, erase it and chose mac os extended jorunaled as its partition format.

Okay, so for some reason the chain0 file using Windows XP just won't work for me. I've tried formatting everything all over again and creating Mac OS on the 2nd partition, but it still doesn't work. I'd like to try the MAC OS boot file instead, but your link to the MAC OS X boot files leads to the same chain0 file. I think this might be wrong, shouldn't you have posted some type of modified com.apple.boot.plist file? Or do I edit it myself... sorry I'm a little confused over this particular part.

Thanks!

thanks for the fast reply but I have win xp installed for some time now and i have lots of data on it too, so i can't just make a clean install of everything and start over.
uhm... you can do it like this.first partition = winxp2nd partition = winxp3rd partition = osx x. you should set this 3rd partition as primary partition, not logical. when you create the parition using the bootcd, create new partition and select Primary and not logical.

ok, you may leave your windows partition as it is, just make sure it is in the first partition of your hdd. if its not, then use the bootcd to move windows xp to the first partition and update the mbr.when windows is already in the first partition, create a new partition using the bootcd. but do not format it, just create a partition with your desired capacity. you may create a 10gb partition for instance.when creating the partition, make so sure that you were creating a primary partition not a logical. it is selectable from a drop down menu.after doing all the above procedures, reboot, insert osx dvd, and proceed to the installation process.

boinkytwo, thanks for the CD.I have a question. Is the 3rd data partition necessary? Can I just do 2 partitions- one for XP & one for Mac?
its not a requisite.you may just have 2 partitions, one for xp and one for osx.the purpose of the third partition if for file sharing, since osx an read and write to a fat32 partition, and winxp as well.***windows cant access the osx partition. (unless using 3rd party soft.)***osx can acess windows partition.

Okay, so for some reason the chain0 file using Windows XP just won't work for me. I've tried formatting everything all over again and creating Mac OS on the 2nd partition, but it still doesn't work. I'd like to try the MAC OS boot file instead, but your link to the MAC OS X boot files leads to the same chain0 file. I think this might be wrong, shouldn't you have posted some type of modified com.apple.boot.plist file? Or do I edit it myself... sorry I'm a little confused over this particular part.Thanks!
the com.apple.boot.plist file is already edited for dual booting with windows xp.if you want to use this technique, you must use the bootcd again and set osx partition as active.after doing so, you should boot osx. and drag and drop the com.apple.boot.plist file to its destination. then repair disk permission or do the chown/chmod commands mentioned in this guide.after doing the above instruction, upon reboot, you will be presented to a boot selection menu.

the com.apple.boot.plist file is already edited for dual booting with windows xp.if you want to use this technique, you must use the bootcd again and set osx partition as active.after doing so, you should boot osx. and drag and drop the com.apple.boot.plist file to its destination. then repair disk permission or do the chown/chmod commands mentioned in this guide.after doing the above instruction, upon reboot, you will be presented to a boot selection menu.

Okay, but where do I find this modified com.apple.boot.plist file? I know on your tutorial it says paste the file, but where do I copy it from?

If you check your links on the guide, the Windows XP necessary files link doesn't function properly, but it's just a little fix. And the MAC OS necessary files are the exact same link as Windows XP. You have the chain0 file as the necessary files to boot MAC OS using the darwin boot loader.

Hi,

I have motherboard -MSI 865PE Neo2-LS and intel p4 3GB, 1GB RAM---> this is work on OSX86 10.4.8 installed!, but ethernet and sound are not work :P .

then I love my notebook hp pavillion dv6338se AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 1.8GB, 1GB RAM --->I used JAS OS X86 10.4.8 SSE2 +SSE3 and PFF1 +PFF2.iso dvd when I put insert disc and press enter or type -v -x and it say: "/library/preferences/system configuration/com.apple.boot.plist couldn't not found"..... I tried all time and read all of forums...nothing happen

I think I'm not sure nfoce 430 chipset for sata HD doesn't work, right? :rolleyes:

how to fix it?

thanks

boinkytwo im onb step 6

:

Insert OSX86 install DVD and install OSX

When reaching the Select Destination menu, open Disk Utility and format the 2nd partition in MAC OS Extended (Journaled) format, Input your desired Volume Name (ex. My MAC). Then proceed with the installation until finished.

problem is i cant seem to format.

it says mount piont: not mounted

Capacity: 11.7GB

format :

Available:

owners enabled:

Used:

numbers of folders:

Number of files:

any ideas ( or am i missing something)

erase it first, after erasing it, it will automatically mount.

but if until erasure, it doesnt mount, try to mount it manually under disk utility.

if no success still, be sure you did not miss anything or skip a step.

ok i erased it and did fresh install of xp pro. put your bootdisk in and started creating the 2nd and 3rd partitions but when making the 2nd one it says ( This partition crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary and may not be bootable). should i still do it or am i missing something??

change or resize the windows parition, add at least 1gb.

then create the 2nd partition, also add at least 1gb, until the 1024 boundary error does not show up. make sure it is primary and unformatted. you may leave the 3rd partition blank as of the moment.

then reboot and retry to install

ok so i did it even though it said that 1024 {censored}. after loading and restarting i get the mac screen and the turning wheel than after 15 seconds it freezes. when i get home tonight ill get my camcorder out and record what i get when i boot up in -v -m and show you so i can get your opinion. I am still able to use my windows so im happy about that part.... ill post later. thanks for all your help so far

ok heres some that i could make out.

C0D0 Family specific matching fails

Matching service count=0

kextd(25): cant find extension with id com.apple.lokit

Synaptics touchpad v 5.9

localhost dnsresponder-100.2(aug 25 2006)starting

dnsresponder : couldnt read user-specified computer computer name using default

dnsresponder : couldnt read user-specified computer local host

any ideas

thanks

heres my specs

i installed jas 10.4.8. intel amd

i instaled all options except the amd option

Microprocessor Intel Centrino Mobile Technology featuring Intel Pentium M processor 1.6GHz Microprocessor Cache 1024KB L2 CacheMemory 1024MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 512MB) at 333MHz; Memory Max Maximum Memory 2048MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 1024MB) Video Graphics Nvidia GeForce FX Go5600 Video Memory 128MB DDR (dedicated)* Hard Drive 80GB enhanced-IDE hard disk drive (5400rpm) Diskette Drive External USB Floppy Drive available for U.S. customers via hpshopping.com or local retailers for non-U.S. customersMultimedia Drive DVD +R/RW and CD-RW combo drive Display 17.0-inch WXGA+ TFT wide viewing angle (1440 x 900) display Fax/Modem Integrated v.90/v.92 56KB modem (RJ-11 connector) Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) Wireless Connectivity Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 802.11b/g Integrated Wireless LAN, Integrated Bluetooth Wireless PAN Sound 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro-compatible audio; internal Harman Kardon speakers; AC audio link; volume control button and mute button Keyboard 101-key compatible Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad PC Card Slots

One Type I/II 32-bit card bus (also supports 16-bit)

External Ports

Three Universal Serial Bus: USB 2.0

One Parallel SPP/ECP standard interface

One port replicator connector

One headphone-out

One microphone-in

One VGA (15-pin)

One TV-Out (S-Video)

One RJ-11 (modem)

One RJ -45 (LAN)

One IEEE 1394 (FireWire)

One FIR (Fast Infrared)

Dimensions 14 inches(L) x 10 inches(W) x 1.24 inches(H)Weight 6.5 lbs Security

Kensington MicroSaver lock slot

Power-on password;

Accepts third-party security lock devices

Power

65W AC adapter

8-cell Lithium-Ion battery

Ran into a snag. Have XP installed already, made a partition for OSX, FAT32. Boot OSX (Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso) and it starts fine. When going to Disk Director and selecting "Erase" it acts like it is erasing and then attempts to mount, but the Partition Type never changes and it never comes up as a disk to install on. Ive tried several partition types, and partitioned with the built in Windows partitioning program, Acronis and GParted with the same result. I can wipe the disk and then it will format and install, but that defeats the purpose of Dual booting. Ideas?